IR remote LED switch for my Millenium Falcon

The hard part for me was using the dremel and a round burr bit to remove the center of the exhaust vents without messing them up (x 6)

Yea I think I can manage that part. I cut and hollowed out some of the hull pieces to make them more like the studio model, just for fun. I think with my drill, dremel and some files and i can hollow them out pretty well.

Were you ever thinking about offering those pcb's? if I can make the madman kit work with a combo of LEDs and fiber optics then I'd love something like your setup!

I etched this board to take the place of the flasher circuit I had originally planned on using in the Falcon. It uses the CD40106 Schmitt trigger/hex inverter IC timed to produce a 300ms pulse followed by two 45ms pulses, which I probably should make a bit longer. Anyway here is a look at the board and a piece of video, sorry about the crappy quality of the iphone vid. I plan to use red LEDs on the strobe board instead of the white you see in the vid. I dont get it...I replaced the terrible lights off video with a piece with the light on and its just as bad. The board produces crisp strobe flashes with both LEDs in sync. Its supposed to be bliiiiiiiiink-blink-blink...bliiiiiiiink-blink-blink, but it appears kinda choppy and not in sync, its pretty cool in person though.

DSC_0001-4.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I have my electronics all sorted out. I built a new battery pack using 12 AAAs @ 1000mAh each and I did a load test and found that the whole lighting system draws 186 milliamps... this is 4 LEDs, the EL tape inverter and the nav flasher circuit. I also reconfigured a new charging circuit for the larger pack and it draws 300 milliamps at 18 volts for about 2 hours. The charger latches to trickle mode after the 2 hour fast charge and draws about 20 milliamps in trickle mode. I still have to finalize the placement of the boards and inverter and cut all the wiring to the proper lengths and at that point I will post some pictures. I also changed the nav flasher LEDs to red.
I received my cool little magnets from an ebay seller to keep the top of the gun turret in place on the upper hull. I used the exhaust grilles that I wont need to fabricate a little holder for the magnet...
DSC_0008_zps083a6365.jpg

It worked like a charm. The magnets are very powerful and holds the top on easily...I plan to put the plug for the charging circuit under the turret cover. Im just going to leave the connector loose in the turret and add a few extra inches of wire to the connecter so I can pull it out to make the connection for charging, then tuck the connector back it and replace the turret cover.
DSC_0009_zps537942bf.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind comment, I have almost as much time with the airbrush as I do on the whole thing... I thought "how hard can it be?" I found out... hahahahaa!!!

Awesome work on this. It's turning out fantastic. I can't wait to see this ship finished. It's going to be one of the best FM Falcons out there.

With your electronics knowledge, I should have come to you for advice on my BladeRunner Spinner I'm building. Could have used the extra help a month ago!

Robiwon,
that spinner is awesome...I think the LED circuit is perfect. I cant really take full credit for my Falcon, I stole so many ideas from this forum. All the models here are inspiring to say the least...

Your Falcon is looking really good, your skills with the electronics is way beyond my reach. I have to start following this thread since I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one will look when finished and lit fully. I've one question, I keep seeing the engine cooling fan bits here and there, the props under the rear deck grilles, where did you get them? I can't seem to find where to buy them.

Cheers!

I wasn't going to put the PE grills on my Falcon as in most pics you can't see through them, but these just look so good. I have the grills off the Acreation PE set, so I'd like to use those and try making my own engine fans before I spend another 28 bucks plus shipping to the UK. Any chance of the close up pic of one of the fans to see how easy/hard it might be?

Avanaut... http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind...72-millennium-falcon-pe-grille-detail-set.cfm

I tried to order earlier (before I decided to see if I could make my own) but the billing page is insisting that I put in a US state. I've emailed them about it.

I'm not either.....but this is a very inspiring build, your paint work is excellent, I keep waiting for updates.

I'll likely just go for Scratchy's resized dish & the landing gear baffles

J

Your Falcon is looking really good, your skills with the electronics is way beyond my reach. I have to start following this thread since I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one will look when finished and lit fully. I've one question, I keep seeing the engine cooling fan bits here and there, the props under the rear deck grilles, where did you get them? I can't seem to find where to buy them.

Cheers!

Alaneye beat me to it... Thank you sirs for the kind comments...

I wasn't going to put the PE grills on my Falcon as in most pics you can't see through them, but these just look so good. I have the grills off the Acreation PE set, so I'd like to use those and try making my own engine fans before I spend another 28 bucks plus shipping to the UK. Any chance of the close up pic of one of the fans to see how easy/hard it might be?

Avanaut... Starship Modeler Store: Fine Molds' Millennium Falcon PE Grille Detail Set

I tried to order earlier (before I decided to see if I could make my own) but the billing page is insisting that I put in a US state. I've emailed them about it.

Alaneye, here are some close ups...let me know if you need anything else.

DSC_0003-4.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

Thanks for the pictures... they've only shown me that I couldn't make them as well myself :facepalm I'll try and order some.

Avanaut... Starship Modeler Store: Fine Molds' Millennium Falcon PE Grille Detail Set

Thanks! I've bought items from there before, I just overlooked this. I am just waching myself buying bits and pieces all over again, I'm in deep trouble with this now...

Uh, I'm terribly sorry, Alaneye, I think I just managed to buy the last kit. I hope they re-issue it soon.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back