Kokkari, thanks. Let me know when you got them ready, its good to know one more source of upgrade kits for the Hasbro MF. Thanks again for the reply.

Just to wet your appetite, I am working on my inserts, and have a found a real cheap way of doing them, just using bottle tops, will post photos from my camera phone when I can find my USB cable.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
The real cheap way of doing the engine vents, dont have any money but have bottle tops from milk cartons, and have the pull out sports drinks tops, yes I know its not Canon, its my build and it came down to being frugal, I also painted the rear deck in advance, so I could work out how much needs to come off. To be honest it actually is a very good casting, the piping needs replacing as they could not have any undercuts. I have also noticed that the inside mechanism of the sports drink is near enough a match to a vent on the side walls. I do have one problem. I have no etched brass to simulate the top. I am looking everywhere for a mesh that is not woven, square design. So trying to think out of the box on that one. If any of you have any ideas please let me know.

Also apologise for the shoddy photos, I dont like bringing my DSLR into a dirty environment.

Richie.

IMG_20150126_113331630_HDR.jpgIMG_20150126_133653383.jpgIMG_20150126_132439651.jpgIMG_20150126_132336248.jpgIMG_20150126_113603414.jpgIMG_20150126_113549677.jpgIMG_20150126_113502808.jpgIMG_20150126_113359308.jpgIMG_20150126_113349678_HDR.jpgIMG_20150126_134222895.jpgb

Anyone seen the Randy Cooper resin upgrade set with photo etch?
Any thoughts on them?
Yes, I've seen them. I love Randy's work and have his Star Destroyer and Blockade Runner. They are some of my favorites. From what I can tell his falcon resin parts don't really resemble any of the falcon sidewalls from what I can tell. They look to be his own creation. They do have some of the components though. Also, his are very thick and meant for you to remove and replace the sidewalls completely. On mine I'm going for a little more accurate, however not completely on the sidewalls to the ESB 32. I'm making mine to fit on top the existing flat side walls. I am very interested in the engine vent grills though.

The real cheap way of doing the engine vents, dont have any money but have bottle tops from milk cartons, and have the pull out sports drinks tops, yes I know its not Canon, its my build and it came down to being frugal, I also painted the rear deck in advance, so I could work out how much needs to come off. To be honest it actually is a very good casting, the piping needs replacing as they could not have any undercuts. I have also noticed that the inside mechanism of the sports drink is near enough a match to a vent on the side walls. I do have one problem. I have no etched brass to simulate the top. I am looking everywhere for a mesh that is not woven, square design. So trying to think out of the box on that one. If any of you have any ideas please let me know.

Also apologise for the shoddy photos, I dont like bringing my DSLR into a dirty environment.

Richie.

View attachment 431361View attachment 431369View attachment 431368View attachment 431367View attachment 431366View attachment 431365View attachment 431364View attachment 431363View attachment 431362View attachment 431370b
Great use of the carton tops, brilliant.... Let's play Greeble tennis, I have also been looking at alternatives and am using a different part of the water bottle top s a detail , I may wrap the tube section with larger copper cable to replicate cooling tubes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 310
Great use of the carton tops, brilliant.... Let's play Greeble tennis, I have also been looking at alternatives and am using a different part of the water bottle top s a detail , I may wrap the tube section with larger copper cable to replicate cooling tubes.

Awesome going to do the same as well, your cuts are a lot neater than mine, apologies for the camera phone shots. I went and bought a black splatter guard from a shop for 2 quid. The mesh is not right but close enough for me. Using lipstick, I got a spare bottle top smeared it on the edge. Pressed on the mesh to make a circle and cut it out with sprue snips. This was glued on. I am missing the 6 bars that go on the vent. I need wire for that, and better CA to stick it. Over the moon with the result. My camera phone sucks. I dont really want to use my work camera on this. But will get better photos tommorrow. All this cost me was a dig around my greeblie box, and 2 quid. Not canon but it saved me 60 quid. Really happy.

IMG_20150127_183014927_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150127_153622431_HDR.jpgIMG_20150127_153637525_HDR.jpgIMG_20150127_153702012_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150127_154635139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150127_154635139_HDR.jpg
    764.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20150127_154657874_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150127_154657874_HDR.jpg
    755.2 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20150127_183024324_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150127_183024324_HDR.jpg
    780.7 KB · Views: 301
I saw somewhere that Tom was working on the Shapeways pieces that were going to be cast in resin to make them more affordable, and that the grill covers for the 32 are just about the right size for the 28 Hasbro.

Awesome going to do the same as well, your cuts are a lot neater than mine, apologies for the camera phone shots. I went and bought a black splatter guard from a shop for 2 quid. The mesh is not right but close enough for me. Using lipstick, I got a spare bottle top smeared it on the edge. Pressed on the mesh to make a circle and cut it out with sprue snips. This was glued on. I am missing the 6 bars that go on the vent. I need wire for that, and better CA to stick it. Over the moon with the result. My camera phone sucks. I dont really want to use my work camera on this. But will get better photos tommorrow. All this cost me was a dig around my greeblie box, and 2 quid. Not canon but it saved me 60 quid. Really happy.

RockHopper, you could further dress up your screening with thin slivers of plastic card (if lacking thin styrene plastic sheet, use the plastic from fast food joint coffee cup covers - if is #6 plastic, it is polystyrene... and really thin!) laid on for the little ribs. I was considering whether thin wire or waxed thread might do also... but I like the thin plastic better.

R/
Robert

RockHopper, you could further dress up your screening with thin slivers of plastic card (if lacking thin styrene plastic sheet, use the plastic from fast food joint coffee cup covers - if is #6 plastic, it is polystyrene... and really thin!) laid on for the little ribs. I was considering whether thin wire or waxed thread might do also... but I like the thin plastic better.

R/
Robert

Robert many thanks, and a excuse for a cup of coffee, thank you very much,

Rich

R/
Robert

That's a good idea... get the large lids when you go to a fast food place and dine in, then you can grab a bunch of them at a time

I've been making slow, but steady progress on the sidewalls. It's a real pain to try and find greeblies that somewhat resemble the actual pieces and then scratch building the rest. That's why I've been making molds so I don't have to do this again, if I ever make another one of these bad boys.
20150201_082916.jpg

Kokkari - oh Greebly master of the US! Please start producing those side walls because they are amazing :)

We have a "Hasbro build" page on FB if you want to come say Hi - https://www.facebook.com/groups/412387605594355/
haha! I appreciate that. I am finishing up the remaining sidewalls and molds this week. This includes all the sidewalls, inner mandibles, and inner jaw boxes. More photos to come.

Made some progress on the dish. I decided to keep the dish that was included with this Falcon cut off the support and make a hybrid using the support from the Legacy BMF. I still need to add more details.

Attachments

• 20150203_101441.jpg
    20150203_101441.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 379
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back