Hasbro Legacy Millennium Falcon Conversion

(sings) Come on Ozzy come one, if it wasn't for your AMT Falcon you'd be a nut in the bucket too.

Always room for one more.:lol

It was Ozzy's ANH Falcon along with Superjedi's that triggered my becoming a nut. It's their skills I lack - it feels just like when I'm trying to ape Jaco's licks on the bass and failing miserably.

Well - I'm really impressed by what I've seen here. Well beyond my skills! Besides, if I tried anything, my kid would kill me as he likes HIS falcon the way it is!

However, should anyone else decide to do this, I could do with a few spare missiles... ;-)

Cheers
Doug

Ok. Day 1 and I've got a very bad feeling about this already

I started work this morning commencing with the turrets by removing the gun mounts and glass. Then as I started cutting the mounts to reduce their size my Ryobi motortool died....Bugger. :cry

Fortunately I had a backup.

I've only done rough cuts at the moment because I am off to work soon but I will clean up what I have done before moving on to filling in the turret hole with styrene and making it smaller.

BTW, does anyone make copies of the 32in guns?

At least I have an excuse to go and get a new motortool, Maybe a Dremel this time. :love

I've been messing around with my Falcon on and off for a few days now and I think I can safely say that I've underestimated how much work is involved in reducing its height.

I've cut some 1 inch styrene test strips for the mandible sidewalls to see how things will go and so far as good. My plan is to use as much of the Hasbro as possible but I may have to compromise on certain things such as the height of the sidewalls.

I did manage to find a piece of scrap pvc tube I can use to brace the internal structure which I think is necessary after gutting the insides.

To be continued.........

Nice job so far, Junkpilot. Try cutting off the 10mm just from the lower hull. And don't cut all the way into the screw tubes. Just trim it down as required. You'll need those to align the hull halves.

..I dont think people realise how close in shape and plating detail the AMT/MPC falcon realy is to the 5 foot. Its realy only the side walls and the engine deck, that are real crap. the access pits etc, are actualy close in detail as well.

You're right Ozzy, it has its good points. And in the absence of good photos I find myself reaching for the MPC Falcon. Like the belly maintenance openings. Tried scanning the MPC hull but it was really blurry so I took a photo but couldn't seem to make it print to Hasbro size. So I just traced through the holes and then printed those in actual size, which worked right off - strange!

03Printedactualsize.jpg

06Templates.jpg

05Rightsideopening.jpg

Marked the openings and will be cutting them out with the Dremel. My worry now is underneath I've got some curved ribbing holding the patch plates in shape. Plus I'll have to put the wells in there - I have absolutely no idea how that can be achieved without breaking the hulls apart for the nth time. I'm quite sure I'll get stuck again. Just one hitch after another.

Last edited:
So I went ahead with the Dremel. Oh, boy...things aren't looking good. Time to go back to that other project for now while I collect my thoughts.

08Cutleft.jpg

09Cutright.jpg

Like pulling down a brick wall only to find anotherone behind it.

Chill for afew days then come back to it. Or work on another area, you will solve the problem.

ozzy

Thanks CJ.

Okay, did some work on the starboard mandible today reducing the height to studio scale of 1" which accepts the 1" strips of styrene I have cut just nicely. This work has been done over a period of about 2 weeks as I don't want to ruin it so it is slow ahead.

I think my measurements are off though. Either the guts around the saucer are greater than 1" or I need to reduce the saucer by more than 10mm. I'm not going to cut until I have the mandibles done as this will be the detrmining factor.

Hope you don't bail yet CJ. Step back and re-assess but don't give up.

To be continued......

I have always been of the opinion that the side walls around the saucer section are greater than the mandable walls, if I undestood you correctly.

RE: My AMT mandable walls were 1.55mm and my side walls were/are 1.65mm. I know
1mm may not sound much, but it makes the difference with the overhang of the saucer sections.

Hope I am talking about the same thing.

Ozzy

Yes, we are. I thought ALL sidewalls were 1in. I now believe this is not the case and only the mandible walls were 1in and the saucer walls are higher. I just have to work out how much larger.

Hi Ozzy, not so sure about the 32 inch but on the 5-footer the mandibles look like they went into the hull, making the hull sidewalls the same height but in most sections end up being partially covered by the sloping plating. On the MPC I guess you have no choice but to make the hull sidewalls taller as the curvature is too shallow to allow for same hull and mandible height.

10Mandiblesidewall.jpg

Wouldn't you know it - the patches held their rounded shape when I took out the ribs. Maybe because of the plastic wood putty? So there is still hope for my ANH Falcon!

001Patchesheldup.jpg

002Thereishope.jpg

004Longwayaway.jpg

003Decals.jpg

I know there is light at the end of the tunnel - and that someday my JBOT decals would find their way onto the model.

Last edited:
Found it way easier to cut the notches with the plating glued on. I noticed they vary a lot in size and shape in the photos.

Oh, and it's amazing what those little rectangular scab plates can do to the look of the Falcon. Without:

01Withoutscabplates.jpg

And with scab plates:

002Withscabplates.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back