Buckaroo Banzai Jet Car - 3D Printed

megafern

Hi all,
Been a lurker who posts occasionally and I wanted to share my Jet Car. I modeled this in Cinema 4D and 3D printed it on an Objet printer. This is my 3rd version which has a lot more detail and is more movie-accurate. Some of the stuff had to be exaggerated a little so it could be printed. I plan on finishing the cockpit at some point so it can be open and currently the under carriage is not detailed. A fellow fan had the great suggestion of adding the brain creature underneath.

Enjoy!
Sean

Thanks for the kind words! I printed this one through a lab at my school but I also did a white, nylon one with Shapeways. Some of the fine details didn't come out quite as well but it's still nice. I need to take some pix and will post when I get a chance.

Sean

A couple of garage model makers I know use Objet printers for their masters... but regardless, it's really nice work! That you have one in your lab is awesome!

I know nothing about casting but that's exactly what I need to do with my Octopod creation. I have had a lot of requests for kits and/or finished models but need to figure out a cheaper way to produce them since the 3D prints are so expensive.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Do I even want to know what this cost to be printed?

Hi all,
Been a lurker who posts occasionally and I wanted to share my Jet Car. I modeled this in Cinema 4D and 3D printed it on an Objet printer. This is my 3rd version which has a lot more detail and is more movie-accurate. Some of the stuff had to be exaggerated a little so it could be printed. I plan on finishing the cockpit at some point so it can be open and currently the under carriage is not detailed. A fellow fan had the great suggestion of adding the brain creature underneath.

Enjoy!
Sean

OMG! I don´t have much time at the moment, but will revisit your blog soon to watch the timelapse of the build! The presentation video was fantastic !!!

Very cool!

... I also did a white, nylon one with Shapeways. Some of the fine details didn't come out quite as well but it's still nice.

I hear you on the Shapeways cheapest is the nylon but unfortunately isn't great for small detail and cleanup takes a lot of primer. I recently did the Space:1999 moonbuggy and removed nylon as a choice on Shapeways since the detail would be muddled.

... the 3D prints are so expensive.

Agree on that as well. A lot of people liking the moonbuggy but with the SLA costing $11 to $14 nobody wants to pay. It would be nice if they could make it more affordable. Shapeways used to send me emails to encourage me to promote my models for their profit. I replied to Shapeways saying that the biggest obstacle for people buying is cost and they need to lower their price. They said they always "working to cut costs". "Working" on it is nice but I wish they would follow through to make it happen.

I shudder to think. Printed at approx 1:24 cost $350. It would be a few thousand.

Ouch! That puts 1:18 out of range for now too.

Any thoughts on what needs to happen to bring prices down to the point where it's more affordable and home printers are as common as a kitchen appliance? Just curious... Might make for a good article on Tested.

Any thoughts on what needs to happen to bring prices down to the point where it's more affordable and home printers are as common as a kitchen appliance? Just curious... Might make for a good article on Tested.

I think material prices for home printers aren't too bad, you can get 1 kg of plastic for under $40 and that will print a lot of stuff. When you get to the high end machines all the materials are proprietary, often come in special cartridges, etc so they can charge whatever they want. I think you'll see costs come down on the home end way before the professional end which is unfortunately where we need it for Jet Cars and Octopods. There are machines like the Form 1 and B9 which are SLS machines that use lasers or DLP projectors to cure resin for really nice models, but they have a limited print size. Once the print size increases these could be really good home printers especially if more resins options become available.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back