SS T-65 V3.1 Landing gear version...

mslz22

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been wanting to get to this for years and i am just about ready to get going. It's the V3.1 with closed wing block and landing gear. The gear is totally non-cannon as i don't really have any ref on it, the details are just kitbashed from the usual suspects and just what i thought looked good, fuselage has been modified for the gear bay. Pics are just the initial mock up and not glued together so forgive the extreme wonkiness.....molds for the gear are done as well as the blocks, gear has 3/16 rod cast into it so there should be no issue with weight. Hope to have the fuselage in rubber soon...
thanks
mike

Looks great...... Now we need an opening canopy , ladder, hanger deck pieces and an excuse for the wife as to why we need another x-wing.

Looks great...... Now we need an opening canopy , ladder, hanger deck pieces and an excuse for the wife as to why we need another x-wing.

If you need to explain it to your wife, you need a new hobby or a new wife.

Sorry, I had to hurry up and type that while my wife wasn't looking what I was doing. I wanted to sound kind of tough, you know.

Wife........who the he'll is mike salzo , Steve neisen and Randy Cooper and why are we paying them all this money??????!!!!!

Me..........Er!!!!

You need a credit card in your name only, man!

My wife doesn't mind too much. I do all the renovation and maintenance work around here, so it still comes in cheaper than hiring tradesmen. :)

I am getting to the point where I have nowhere to put another X-wing, though. :cry

Jason: me wanna waidoa!

Oh god, we're nerds...

Wife......... And what prey tell is a brundlefly????... And a pyro ... Is that some kind of baking dish??

Me ...... Baking dish yeah that's what it is.... A baking dish.

She's also my accountant.

Quick update, I've made a new set of wing molds for this, although I did leave the chip detail on the inside so they needed to be shaved off before closing the wings on the mounting block. I may be doing a quick run of these as well as the open wing one so I wanted to have just the generic wing mold. Other than that I was able to get the wings mounted up and working on the test shot, which is obviously just rubber banded together, but everything seems to be fitting together nice and straight. I think the height of the gear is just about right, the pilot you see is a good 1/24 scale viper pilot that i will be converting into an x wing pilot, his height compared to the ship seems pretty consistent with some pics I've seen from ESB. All the secondary struts for the gear will just be evergreen tubing. I will be including the cockpit that mimics the full size prop if i do this as a quick run.

Now i just need to decide, yavin base, echo base, dagobah....

thanks
mike

Very nice Mike !

I hope this will give some ideas and why no reproduce Red 3 with Red 5 make up for the Dagobah scene !

I love the standing pilot too ! :thumbsup

Looking forward to building mine. I'm one of those oddballs, I guess, because I like to build almost everything sitting on the ground. Comes from building jets for so many years when all the sci-fi models I could get were junk compared to the quality and accuracy of modern jets, from Hasegawa for example (and I'm thinking pre-FM SW stuff).

This is absolutely fantastic! Great work!

[ ... ] I did leave the chip detail on the inside so they needed to be shaved off before closing the wings on the mounting block. [ ... ]

Hmm. I have always thought that the wings do not completely close due to the chip details and more important due to the engine inlets. They end flush with the inside surface of the wings, but they have two rings on the front end. So when those rings touches each other, there remains a gap between the rest of the inlets and therefor between the wings.
Pics of red 3 with the movable wings show that the chip details are also on the inside.
In ANH, the 1/24th scale models have gaps between the wings. On the other side, the full size models do not.

Please, any opinions or suggestions?

Michael

I think with this model you can pick whatever you want to do, because while it is Studio Scale, IMO it's a model that has already had some liberties taken with it. I shaved off the chips because i wanted the wings closed tight, the lower intakes only needed a tiny bit of file work to fit together. The wings that come with the kit will have the chips attached, so if you want to build with a slight gap, you can do that too.

thanks
mike

Wife......... And what prey tell is a brundlefly????... And a pyro ... Is that some kind of baking dish??

Me ...... Baking dish yeah that's what it is.... A baking dish.

Had a good LOL at this! (And so do did the GF, who is not only happy for me to buy this stuff but will also allow herself to be led by the hand to my workbench where she'll actually stand and listen to me blather on about the progress I've made on the X-wing for a good full sixty to ninety seconds and not look bored. What a woman! Even when she leaves, she says it's not that she's bored but that she needs a cig, or that it's too cold or too hot in the studio.)

Kit looks great, Mike. Me want, naturally, but I'm cleaned out, ha ha.....

I am getting to the point where I have nowhere to put another X-wing, though. :cry

Oh god, we're nerds...

Boxes of unbuilt X-wings don't take up too much space, I wouldn't have thought. Not in that big shed of yours. You've only got about five, lol.

You know what we are? Not nerds merely. We're those weird middle-aged schlubs who'd have train sets running round their entire homes when we were kids. Those guys really disturbed me as a kid... but now I understand them...I understand them completely...oh God...

(sorry to go OT, Mike. Back to the closed-wing landing gear excellence...)

Another update, got the body all glued up as well as the wings/engine mounting stuff, primered up after pre painting the canopy and cockpit interior, as usual just a quick shot. Then got on to a base coat of Montana Diamond gray paint, pretty good stuff, comes out white-ish with a bit for gray in it, also a first test of the stripes using REL's masking frisket film, which i did not push down quite hard enough and will need to do a couple of touch ups on....or just cover with mud as i think i am leaning towards Dagobah x wing...
thanks
mike

Me wanna wanga!..................Me wanna wadoa!............... you guy's really are NERDS!

Oops .....gotta go.............i'm off to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters.

Nice work Mike i want one.

Got the pilot resculpted into a reasonable x wing pilot, will likely tweak him a bit more before molding the figure...
mike

Right now the cold weather is really starting to knock on out door here, but i plan on a very, very short run before the winter. 2 options, V3.1 with open wings/no landing gear and V3.1 closed wings and landing gear. I really only have time for a handful of either kit, after that it will be hung up until at least spring....
mike

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back