Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

I was staring at the original model just this weekend, and when it lights up, i really couldn't believe the light bleed around the main weapon!! Shame it's got to that state..

The dish isn't the original one. I think it is removable still and not glued in place.

I may have a SERIOUS PROBLEM.

I am down to the tail end of the last can of my Tamiya Light Grey Fine Surface Primer that I use for the base coat, and Tamiya currently has this product on hold.

NOBODY seems to have it - none of the on-line hobby suppliers I've contacted have it in stock.

I did get a message from Tamiya stating they are in the process of repackaging the product and it will be available again "in the near future". So I'm dimly optimistic.

But...

This pretty much makes the decision for me about respraying the light base coat areas to correct the yellowing.

I'm a dip**** for not having ordered more of this primer earlier. But I was pretty much done with it, only using it to make corrections here and there. But it would be (will be) wise to ALWAYS have a stock level of this in my shop, needed or not.

Last edited:
Some more progress today...

Only two cityscapes left to do lines on. I did the second over from the dish today.

Also did just a tad more darkening on the lower dome. I am liking this. I like that the model is looking less "spotty", and I like the contrast the darker areas are creating.

Its hard to extrapolate how it will look when all the areas that need to be darkened are done (remember, mostly just this top row of the lower right dome). But I think it will look good.

Last edited:
Although that looks to be a huge hurdle. I can't stop thinking if all those damn holes that need to be drilled. You could be at this another year.

Although that looks to be a huge hurdle. I can't stop thinking if all those damn holes that need to be drilled. You could be at this another year.

Mike, by the way, you know you're welcome to come up and hep out, if you have time, or are perhaps up to see Brayn or what not. I would enjoy the company and appreciate the help!

Big day today - I essentially finished all the lines today. Every section now has lines.

Though I will still be adding a few here and there, and making adjustments. But I'm basically done with that! :cheers

I also did the base grey section to the immediate lower right of the dish - something I've been holding off on, saving it as a bit of a reward as it is a favorite area on the model, and a focal point. I'll post some comparison pics to the original.

And I continued with the darkening of the first row on the lower dome. Tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Here's the comparison...

building-death-star-production-121210-020c.jpg-40588d1292213120
building-death-star-production-121210-020f.jpg-40591d1292213611

Last edited:
absolutely beautiful Rob....Love how it is turning out...one of the best studio scale models I ever seen...

maybe we should have the prop party at your house instead :love

Thanks guys for the compliments...

Next step moving forward will be the hash marks in the equatorial band. Recall I have those done on the left side of the dish, but need to do so on the right. I have pretty good reference on that now, and it should go quick.

After the equator band, all that is left in terms of surface detailing (except for adjustments, additions, and corrections), is the dish.

If I manage to get the band hash marks done during the week, then I may get to teh dish this weekend. Maybe...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back