32" Falcon Progress/ more new piccys page 23

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ even newer pics page 11

Phil & any one else. What is the best way to cut circles in styrene? Its hard enough just to cut a straight line sometimes...

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ even newer pics page 11

Going out on a limb here... a circle cutter maybe? :confused Ahem. You should be able to find them pretty easily (look for Olfa), and for larger diameter you can find attachments for measuring tapes, etc...

bit more on topic, this has been a good build to watch, some interesting choices...

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ even more newer pics page 12

Hey guys, anyone know what the part marked in red is from please ?

sharpen2redbox.jpg

I cut the curves in the plating by hand, just following the pencil line, or slightly to one side of the line. A bit of sanding here and there tidied up the edges and helped the fit. It was too much messing about to set up the cutter to do each individual plate.

This is the cutter, you can get these at stationery stores, I've seen them in card shops and those places that do computers and office stuff. It'll cut circles up to 12 inches diameter.
cuttersml.jpg

This is for the bigger stuff, you get a blade part, a pencil part, and the center spike. As you can see you just move it to where you want it and do your thing. The attachments are from micromark...I can give you the catalogue number if you're interested. I think they're designed to fit a wooden ruler thats thicker than the metal one, so I had to put bit of styrene packing in to tighten them up, but no big problem really. The ruler's easy to find from hardware or DIY places.

lrgcuttersml.jpg

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil & Clerval. The 1.5mm styrenes think & hard to cut. I was going to use a hole saw on my drill but the sizes are a little big or a little small...

I was going to suggest a compass. This is what I used for making the bell housing on my X-wing.

The circle cutter's can take care of some fairly thick styrene... like cutting anything else, you just have to be sure to lightly score it at first, and go 'round a few times. You'll be able to bend and snap it pretty quickly, just be careful not to do it too soon, or you can end up with a slight angled edge.

The circle cutter's can take care of some fairly thick styrene... like cutting anything else, you just have to be sure to lightly score it at first, and go 'round a few times. You'll be able to bend and snap it pretty quickly, just be careful not to do it too soon, or you can end up with a slight angled edge.

Thanks Clerval that is a simple & understandable answer. Thanks also to everyone else's input. Much appreciated.

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/newer pics page 6

Right so, another update...weird thing, I cudda sworn this thread was 12 pages long. Anyway it seems to have shrunk. :confused title edited to suit..

Just before the new piccys, I've asked this before, but does anyone know what the red marked bit is from please ?
sharpen2redbox.jpg

Various pics of plating progress..

This is the odd shaped plate for underneath the cockpit tube, it was a bit awkward to get this to fit

tubeplatesml.jpg

tubebottsml.jpg

Starting the tube plates
tubeplatestartsml.jpg

Done, with tape to stop them springing off before the glue set.
tubetopplatesml.jpg

Work on the front bit
cockpittopsml.jpg

cockpitside2sml.jpg

The top plating is complete now.
topsml.jpg

topsml2.jpg

Not looking too bad...time to start plating the belly next.

It's taken over a year to get to this stage, hard to believe really..:wacko

That's it for now.

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:
Re: 32" Falcon Progress/newer pics page 6

I take absolutely ages making my models, and I'd say they're better for it. Your model seems to prove it as well, looks excellent so far. :)

Re: 32" Falcon Progress/ new pics page 6

Looking ace Phil, I think that part is from a Lotus or 312T 1/12 or 1/24 cant remember which Lee's ya man

I am learning so much just from reading this... great idea on plating as you go. Looks phenomenal! Thanks for sharing this build!

Thanks for keeping the thread alive and posting the wonderful 'in progress' photos. I might just undertake a Falcon build after I get the SS X-Wing off my bench -- which likely wont be anytime soon.

Beautiful Phil, stellar buildup,and just love the progress pics!. Plating looks terrific, whats a year build time anyway, it's the end result that counts and this Falcon is going to be one of the best!.
Stu

Thanks for the kind words fellas. Cheers Guy, I'll ask Lee.

Omes, I'm not sure exactly how deep the pits should be, I've just made them half the thickness of the mandible, so they're about 1/2 inch deep. This might turn out to be too deep though, and I might have to adjust that if they don't look right when I add the detailing inside. I don't suppose that helps much if you need a definate depth, but they can't be deeper than that, so I thought I'd go with that for the time being and figure it out later.

Again, I've asked before, but to anyone who's new to the thread..can you tell me what the vent bit in red is from please? It looks like the same pattern as the vent's in the large rear deck exhausts, and it looks like it was used in a couple of the mandible pits too. hope someone can help. thanks a lot.
6.jpg

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

I did the same but Im thinking from some ref they are maybe half that :wacko Im sure I saw an Id on that part mate. Will check when I get home.

Jase.

Awesome build Phil! :thumbsup Isn't that part in red and the grill in the rear deck exhaust, koolshade?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back