Anyone doing 'Planet of the Apes'?

I love the Planet of the Apes, I have wanted to dress up as a Gorilla Soldier ever since Mego brought out their action figures!

Just want to do the, "on horseback, raised gun above head, in front of the rising sun" pose now!

I've put this together for Dragoncon, my other half has also done a Gorilla, so hopefully you'll see at least two of us monkeying around at D'con!

Gotta celebrate the 40th anniversary somehow!

Still got a few bits to finish up, back back, net, rifle sling, etc.

Due to silly replica firearm laws I'm not going to risk flying with the rifle, will be just my luck for me to get hassle!

I'd really like to get a better undersuit, the one we have looks okay in natural light but too shiny when a flash is used. Need a dyed 100% cotton ensemble!

Mask - Apemania (nicest guys you could hope to deal with)
ANSA patch - Larry Young (thanks again, very much appreciated :) )
Jacket - made from black lizardskin leatherette.
Gloves - bought leather gloves, added the gaunlets
Undersuit - pyjama's colour dyed to as close as we could
Bandoliers - made from leatherette, cotton and many pricked thumbs!
Boots - riding boots with cast rubber double toe section glued on.
Club - cut down & repainted joke shop caveman club
Rifle - Phillipes (thank you, works a treat)
Cigar - jokeshop

I'd also like to make the red Ape flag seen in the TV series but won't have time before D'con.

Will hopefully get some shots done in natural light when it's finished.

@ Somerset Fox: Looking forward to seeing more of your Ape Martin, looking fantastic so far. We will have to go hunting together sometime at an event in the UK.

Are you going to Leicester Space Centre in November??

Anyways, don't forget:

"The only good human, is a dead human!"

Cheers,

Andy.

ape1.jpg

ape.jpg

ape5.jpg

ape3.jpg

ape4.jpg

GO APE!!!!

Last edited:
Sheer "monkey business". Very cool gorilla outfit. Looks like Rylo's rifle, I have one myself. Way to keep the POTA faith!

GB

@ Somerset Fox: Looking forward to seeing more of your Ape Martin, looking fantastic so far. We will have to go hunting together sometime at an event in the UK.

Are you going to Leicester Space Centre in November??

Hi Andy, glad to have another UK ape nut going gorilla :cool The costume's progressing slowly and it's the tunic and gauntlets which are causing problems (trying to recreate the ribbing on the body). Would like to go to the NSC in gorilla garb, if done. There has recently been set up a UK based Apes forum you might like to check out:

http://forumoftheapes.yuku.com/

Love the Apes...Have a bunch of the stuff myself. Anyone have a pic of Peter Graves wearing the apes vest in the Fighting 69th Episode?

Just thought I'd bump this with the first shots of my new POTA gorilla costume. All bar the mask, made up by talented Taylors, sorry tailors (POTA joke!). Excuse the slightly tilted pic and twists on parts of the costume. Pics were a little rushed, and on a self timer.

Gorilla latex mask. This is a licensed product from APEMANIA. For wearing at shows I'll wear brown eye make-up to hide my own skin tones.
Tabbard: The orignal features 8 raised ribs on the front and 4 on a tapering section on the back. Made in black (p)leatherette.
Bandolier. A brown linen sash with two leather 'ammo' pouches on the front and a club hook at the right hip. Fashioned by a leather craftsman frm photos.
Purple pants and shirt. This is actually a one piece boiler suit, taken in to reduce baggyness. It's difficult getting an accurate depiction of the colour and it seems to vary from film to film, but this is as close a match as I could find, which is a Dickies boilersuit.
Gloves. These are black leather, elbow length, with four raised, rib sections running around the edges. Sewn by a local costume maker.
Boots. Difficult to get a clear image of these for comparison. A basic riding style boot with 4 buckles on the outer sides. You can't see in the films exactly what type they are and I've improvised with buckle clips and a strip of leather riveted onto the sides. The only addition I've got coming for these are a set of latex split toes which sould go on the end of the boot.
Rifle. A prop which I've made up from a kit bought from a guy here on the RPF. To be honest I'm really proud of this and looks better than the original stunt rifle it's based on. (the original had the strap bolted onto a picture hook fixed to the side. I've gone one better and used actual rifle sling swivels. Also included a metal receiver mechaism from a army drill website. Slide now can be pulled back into place with a spring.

planetoftheapes057.jpg
planetoftheapes059.jpg

Awesome job! You must have done a lot of research in order to provide your Taylors (uh, tailors) with the references to put together such a great costume. I'm sure you'll get a lot of attention at shows. :thumbsup

Does the mouth on the mask open? Just wondering if there's potential to wedge the butt of a stogie in there...

Great work on the rifle, too! :love

Mask is a plain pull-over type and the mouth is closed, unfortunately. Prosthetics would be fun, and may-be one day.

057.jpg
059.jpg

And for comparison, and a bit of fun, here's me 30 :eek years ago. Some things just go full circle...

ag25-002.jpg
:lol:
ag25-001.jpg

And for a laugh, I've still to work out how to apply eye make-up properly! :lol

069.jpg

Somerset Fox,

Is that an original Don Post mask? I had the whole set back in the 70's. Probably the best looking masks DP ever made.

I really don't care for the Ape Mania mask. They don't have the same look as the movies and they look too plastic.

Last edited:
I'm really rushing to get my son's General Ursus done in time for Halloween. I've still got about 120 armor plates to make and his pistol. The helmet is up at Mark from Fyberdyne's house right now, being fitted for the havelock (the leather flap) :)

UrkoNic1.jpg

Amazing what you can do with a 15.00 pair of Rubies Vader gloves! :lol

UrkoGloves1.jpg

a few shots of the helmet, minus the havelock-

UrkoHelmet6.jpg

UrkoHelmet5.jpg

UrkoHelmet4.jpg

quick test fitting w/ trashbag havelock. (It'll look MUCH better with the armor plates on and the real havelock installed). :D

UrkoNic2.jpg

-Sarge

Here's some more progress shots, and a HUGE thanks to Mark from Fyberdyne for helping with the havelock to get it this far. It's not quite perfect yet, but it'll do just fine for Halloween, and we'll probably come up with a revised version later. :)

73870003.jpg

73870016.jpg

73870024.jpg

73870023.jpg

73870012.jpg

I cheated and bought the collar from Apemania, and for 75.00, it's well worth it! Very heavy and well detailed!

-Sarge

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back