Prop houses in Westchester, NY?

IronCostumer

Hey guys, I'm 15,and I really want to expand my knowledge and skills in the art of propmaking. So my mom gave me the idea to find out if I could get an internship at a prop house to learn a bit about what goes on there, and how the professionals use their skills. So if anyone has any information about a prop house that would be willing to give me an internship maybe on weekends or during the summer, that would be great.

Im originally from Westchester, now up in Dutchess, and I have not heard of any prop houses down there, or up here for that matter, but thats not to say they dont exist.. Good Luck with your search!

I grew up in Westchester, and it's a fantastic place but there aren't too many prop shops there. If I can offer a bit of advice, I'd suggest you consider expanding your search to include some other types of businesses that might use related techniques and technology. Specifically, places like industrial design shops where you might be able learn to operate a 3D printer and the various modeling software that goes with it, shops that make architectural models, even (and this is a bit of a stretch) an auto body shop where you can learn the finer points of different fillers and paint application.

At the end of the day you'll be learning a valuable set of skills that you can then put to use on your own projects and offer to a perspective employer later on.

If you're in southern Westchester you might also extend your search to the city and/or Long Island (once you get your driver's licence) as there are a good number of shootings stages in those areas (the former Grumman plant out on the island and stages like Silver Cup in Queens and Chelsea Piers).

Good luck in your search.

Speeder

I'm from Orange County and have been working in the prop business since 1991. If I'm correct, there doesn't seem to be much going on in Westchester, though you may be able to get some sort of internship at the Westchester Broadway theatre, that may be a good start. These days, most of the action seems to be in Brooklyn, not necessarily props, but a lot of creative work, sculpture, etc. Once you get your drivers license you may be able to make more opportunities open up for you.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back