original esb vader costume on the auction block

Yeah, Christie's is losing credibility with this and clearly they know they are treading close on the side of scamming. Guess their percentage matters more than being honest. What a shame that buyers will be duped like this... let's hope they sue.

Last edited:
EDIT: Seriously... what the **** does Andrew Ainsworth know about Vader?
F..k all is what he knows. Well, I think we can conclude that this is nothing more than a tour suit.

I did find irony in someone using Vader to overcome OCD. Vader would only drive you deeper into the depths of OCD. "That gunmetal is too bright! Gah, that nick in the facemask was not on the screenused helmet!"

Agreed. He's clearly not all that obsessive... otherwise he would have known to continue the quest for the screen used stuff. Hell... I don't have OCD... but I'm more obsessed about Vader than he clearly is... and I know some who's a lot worse for wear than me. This guy doesn't even touch us in obsessiveness if he can convince himself that what he has is screen used. That sounds more like bordering on delusions.

I don't think the seller is claiming the soft parts to be screen used. As far as I'm aware it's only the helmet, shoulder armour and shins.
The rest I believe is tour stuff.
Incidently AA was coerced into authenticating this. If anyone had spent as much time as I, AA and Jez did speaking on the phone you would realise that he is a very intense person and believed that AA was an expert on Vader as he work on ANH. Andrew did try and tell him that he wasn't and asked me to help him authenticate it, not that I'm quallified to do so either but I do know more than Andrew. Andrew never really wanted to do it but the seller practically insisted he did. That's why Andrew set up a meeting with Dave Prouse to try and satisfy the seller. He didn't know how or who else that would say it was an original.
We told the seller that there was doubt on it being screen used but it did look authentically a production piece and all Andrew could do is confirm that the screws and fixings etc were consistent with the era of the film. He doesn't pretend to know anything about Vader. It's the seller that has bigged up AA, not himself.
The seller has a long paper trail and is convinced it is what it is and didn't want to believe anything different.

The helmet has been repaired and repainted when it was at Farmer and Co. So it would make sense that it is not screen matched and inconsistent with anything seen on screen. So the fact that the paint is a different colour and there is a nick on the neck not on screen is fairly obvious when you know the facts. Or at least the facts that were made present.

I don't think the seller is claiming the soft parts to be screen used. As far as I'm aware it's only the helmet, shoulder armour and shins.
The rest I believe is tour stuff.
Incidently AA was coerced into authenticating this. If anyone had spent as much time as I, AA and Jez did speaking on the phone you would realise that he is a very intense person and believed that AA was an expert on Vader as he work on ANH. Andrew did try and tell him that he wasn't and asked me to help him authenticate it, not that I'm quallified to do so either but I do know more than Andrew. Andrew never really wanted to do it but the seller practically insisted he did. That's why Andrew set up a meeting with Dave Prouse to try and satisfy the seller. He didn't know how or who else that would say it was an original.
We told the seller that there was doubt on it being screen used but it did look authentically a production piece and all Andrew could do is confirm that the screws and fixings etc were consistent with the era of the film. He doesn't pretend to know anything about Vader. It's the seller that has bigged up AA, not himself.
The seller has a long paper trail and is convinced it is what it is and didn't want to believe anything different.
I'd be willing to let the helmet slide, and the shins are hard to prove either way, but that shoulder armor is NOT screen used. There were no cape hooks on ESB armor. As far as Prose authenticating anything, this is the same guy that for a time was completely unaware that the face was two toned.

I'll go with that.
He is a very intense guy. A nice guy but intense.
Dave Prouse actually thought the helmet to be metal many years ago. :lol so he isn't the best candidate for the job.
As I said I'm no expert either and did post a thread about it with Jez on the PD with pix and it was discussed quite thoroughly. As it is now.

I'll go with that.
He is a very intense guy. A nice guy but intense.
Dave Prouse actually thought the helmet to be metal many years ago. :lol so he isn't the best candidate for the job.
As I said I'm no expert either and did post a thread about it with Jez on the PD with pix and it was discussed quite thoroughly. As it is now.
Dammit, now I have to go look.

Here ya go Hector. I saved you a little trouble :)

esb2.jpg

Damn you Pete, I am going to have to go through and watch ESB again...the horrors! ;)

No problem, Hector. I'm sure there was a mad scramble to pull out the ESB DVD and try to find it.

Here's a few more that show it better:

hook1.jpg

hook2-1.jpg

Now go alter those armors for screen accuracy.:lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back