Review of SyFy's new tv show Hollywood Treasure

That can depend on the arrangement and piece being sold. As a rule yes, but on the top shelf pieces I was referring too, not usually. This goes for all auction companies be they Christies, Bonhams etc.

In my experience, I have not found that to be true, or at the very least, an extremely rare exception.

Auction houses are in the business to make money and they do so even on high dollar items. It used to be a sale in excess of $100,00 would reduce the buyer's commission, but now that is for lots sold for over a million. Dealers used to get discounted seller's fess (once as low as 6%) but that too has ended.

Profile's seller fees are outlined in paragraph 5 of the Agreement. They, of course, have the right to waive any fees they wish, but saying that Christie's, Bonhams or other houses do so rountinely is not accurate.

rick

PIH5.jpg

In my experience, I have not found that to be true, or at the very least, an extremely rare exception.

Auction houses are in the business to make money and they do so even on high dollar items. It used to be a sale in excess of $100,00 would reduce the buyer's commission, but now that is for lots sold for over a million. Dealers used to get discounted seller's fess (once as low as 6%) but that too has ended.

Profile's seller fees are outlined in paragraph 5 of the Agreement. They, of course, have the right to waive any fees they wish, but saying that Christie's, Bonhams or other houses do so rountinely is not accurate.

rick

PIH5.jpg

I agree with you, as I pointed out I was refering only to the pieces mentioned as top shelf as seen on the TV show (Chitty car, some Stan Winston pieces etc), and in the circumstances that it's agreed upon by both the consignor, and the auction house. I did not say that this case applies to all consignors or pieces. Rare but at times that's what it takes for the auction house to get those items to sell. Hype about an upcoming auction is just as valuable as 15%, or more.

I don't know, I kinda dig the show. Is the contrived drama cheesy? Sure. But I love getting the PiH catalogs because I love seeing what original props from classic movies look like these days. The show is an extension of that.

Now, that being said, I think the show would make a great drinking game.

Every time they tell you how many days until the auction, take a drink.

Every time they say the item could be the most important movie prop or costume they've come across, take a drink

Every time Tracy or any of the other employees say that PiH's reputation is on the line if they don't lock down a particular piece, take a drink

Every time Joe walks into the office and says "what have you got for me?" in a forced conversation with an employee, take a drink

Every time they tell a potential seller that their piece could be worth $100K (a magic number on the show), take a drink

Every time someone locks down a piece for the auction and treats it like they just negotiated a Middle East peace treaty, take a drink

Every time the prop seller "walks the red carpet" at Paramount's little lot theater where they hold the auction and says how excited they are to be there as if it's the Oscars, take a drink

Every time they show the same seven people in the crowd at every auction (yes, I know they shoot multiple episodes from one auction), take a drink

I don't know, I kinda dig the show. Is the contrived drama cheesy? Sure. But I love getting the PiH catalogs because I love seeing what original props from classic movies look like these days. The show is an extension of that.

Every time they say the item could be the most important movie prop or costume they've come across, take a drink

Every time Tracy or any of the other employees say that PiH's reputation is on the line if they don't lock down a particular piece, take a drink

Every time Joe walks into the office and says "what have you got for me?" in a forced conversation with an employee, take a drink

Every time they tell a potential seller that their piece could be worth $100K (a magic number on the show), take a drink

Every time someone locks down a piece for the auction and treats it like they just negotiated a Middle East peace treaty, take a drink

Every time the prop seller "walks the red carpet" at Paramount's little lot theater where they hold the auction and says how excited they are to be there as if it's the Oscars, take a drink

Every time they show the same seven people in the crowd at every auction (yes, I know they shoot multiple episodes from one auction), take a drink
:lol:lol:lol

This is the most iconic thread I've ever come across. Which is good because I only have 4 days to get this catalogue that's already been printed and shipped together for the auction, which is also, somehow inexplicably, in 4 days.

Oh man, that gave me a good laugh. Been watching this show with Art and I love seeing the props but this could make it, and the rest of the night, even more entertaining for us ;)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back