Celebrity jerks?

But I don't care. This is their job. This is how they make money. They need to be able to paste on a smile when they go to work or they need to find other employment. There was a recent story about some Burger King manager or something who cussed out a customer and they deserve to get fired. I don't care what their day was like. I don't care how worn down they were. They acted unacceptably and deserve to lose their job over it. All the excuses in the world don't change that.

And for celebrities that are being PAID by their fans for pleasant interaction and autographs, they DO owe their fans. They are being paid by their fans. They are making a living off of their fans. If it's some guy off the street, sure, he owes that guy nothing because that guy isn't paying him for attention, but when it's pay-for-pleasantries like at a convention... the celebrities DO OWE THEIR FANS WHO ARE PAYING THEM!

I've had fans scream in my face (fans of something I worked on, not me specifically) and I promise you, I didn't deserve it. And while I wasn't selling autographs, I was paid to work on the thing they were a fan of. And guess what-- when some ******* fanboy gets in your face when all you're trying to do is make a living, and you've done nothing wrong to them, you have every right in the world to tell them off. And I did.

Again-- if a celebrity wants to sell their autograph, they should have a decent attitude and slap that smile on. I agree--

The only point I was trying to make-- is that sometimes people have hard lives, and while that may not excuse their bad behavior, I think it does buy a little empathy and understanding.

If you don't care, that's totally fine. There's a spectrum from empathetic to self-absorbed and everyone falls on it somewhere different.

^ whoa, big time argumentative fallacy there, claiming a moral high ground....among others. "I'm right because I'm a caring person and you're obviously not." Foul on the play.

You know perfectly well a fan screaming in the celebrity's face is not the situation being discussed. Using an extreme example to make a case for the vast majority of average encounters... Foul #2. Ten yards.

Oh hush.

I'm not claiming superiority. I see how it reads that way talking about a spectrum right after acknowledging Cephus said he didn't care. I didn't mean to frame it like that.

Just illustrating that it takes all types. Jerk fans. Jerk celebrities. Both are equally problematic.

^ whoa, big time argumentative fallacy there, claiming a moral high ground....among others. "I'm right because I'm a caring person and you're obviously not." Foul on the play.

You know perfectly well a fan screaming in the celebrity's face is not the situation being discussed. Using an extreme example to make a case for the vast majority of average encounters... Foul #2. Ten yards.

Well, you’re technically right but I do think you’re nitpicking at Seth’s point a little.

But if we are discussing argument construction, this entire conversation hinges on a faulty psychological premise - that what we *should* get and what we *actually* get, should always match. They don’t, and it’s the reason we feel disappointed over anything. It’s a mismatch between personal expectation and reality.

It’s entirely possible the other party in many situations we feel disappointed in is behaving in a perfectly acceptable way - it just doesn’t meet our own personal expectations of what we hoped and wanted from the encounter.

I have a feeling many celebrity interactions go this way, especially at conventions.

I’m also not saying there aren’t legitimate situations where people are just jerks. Of course there are. But faulty expectations is a quintessential flaw of the human psyche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the latest argument what we are saying, and should be obvious, is that the jerk could be on either or both sides of celebrity interactions. In other words, the fan might be the jerk.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

From the latest argument what we are saying, and should be obvious, is that the jerk could be on either or both sides of celebrity interactions. In other words, the fan might be the jerk.

And they deserve to be called out for it too. Anyone who is a jerk at all deserves to get clobbered for their actions. But when one party is paying the other party for something, saying "they're having a bad day" is an absurd excuse. Who cares? When I go to work, I could be having the worst day ever and my clients still deserve to be treated with respect because they are paying my salary. It doesn't matter if they're complete idiots, I still can't tell them off because it's part of my job to be polite 100% of the time. And like it or not, someone putting themselves behind a table and taking money from people coming to that table, that's part of their job too.

And they deserve to be called out for it too. Anyone who is a jerk at all deserves to get clobbered for their actions. But when one party is paying the other party for something, saying "they're having a bad day" is an absurd excuse. Who cares? When I go to work, I could be having the worst day ever and my clients still deserve to be treated with respect because they are paying my salary. It doesn't matter if they're complete idiots, I still can't tell them off because it's part of my job to be polite 100% of the time. And like it or not, someone putting themselves behind a table and taking money from people coming to that table, that's part of their job too.

:thumbsup

The client isn't always right:rolleyes I've been on both side of the "counter" and I've always treated my customer the way I wanted to be treated...but, if a customer is a real jerk, then I'll show him/her the door. My job description wasn't stating: "You'll take ridiculous abuse from people who have no idea what the word civil means":behave

I still object to the "fan being a real jerk" scenario being added to this discussion. That situation is not what was being discussed. It is muddying the waters. The subject was the celebrity being unkind to people OUTSIDE of such situations.

I remember doing a renovation on a lawyers office on bay street in Toronto years ago. This was when "relic Hunter" was being filmed here.

It was a beautiful Reno. All mission style with lots of oak.

Anyway I was working on the receptionist desk when the elevator door opened up. There was Tia Carrere standing right in front of me.

"Oops, wrong floor" she said.

And then just as the doors were closing she said, "nice work, though"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This works. Or even if it's about a project that isn't the main thing they're known for.
When I met the late Richard LeParmentier, I asked him about Roger Rabbit rather than Star Wars. He lit up.

Granted, I guess if I really used the Solo4114 method properly, I should've asked him about owning a hotel in Florida. But... yawn. ;)

You know I met him in 2001 in Pittsburgh and I had NO CLUE at the time he was in Roger Rabbit. If I had known I would have asked him a ton of questions. I watched that movie about a million times on VHS. LOL I was there in Stormtrooper gear hanging out with him and other Star Wars guests. It was awesome. Richard was fantastic, friendly and about as down to earth as the ground gets. Loved the guy. I wish I had met him again but it was a great weekend!

The client isn't always right:rolleyes I've been on both side of the "counter" and I've always treated my customer the way I wanted to be treated...but, if a customer is a real jerk, then I'll show him/her the door. My job description wasn't stating: "You'll take ridiculous abuse from people who have no idea what the word civil means":behave

I'm glad I live in a place where the idea of "the customer is always right" doesn't exist. It can be a real culture shock when Americans come to visit, though!

{I've heard that Kevin Spacey isn't that nice. Has anyone else heard that?} Yeah, it depends if he thinks you're hot or not.

My friend said Jeff Gordon was a jerk to him, after a race he said nice race, Jeff, and Jeff mumbled in disagreement as he walked away. He hadn't won the race so he proly didn't want some kid sugar coating it. Dumb friend though, I wouldn't have said that.

This was a fun read, so I'll try to contribute. I apparently associate with a less lofty group of celebrities than many of you :confused :lol:

I've met a lot of authors at book signings and stuff. Most of them are either busy or distracted, but none stand out as rude. Ridley Pearson, OTOH, looked lonely. He came out from behind his table to greet me and I ended up talking to him about the town we were in for maybe 15 minutes. He was a very nice guy.

Met Ron Austar (Pierre from Tim & Erik) 'in the wild' at SDCC last year, he was a trip and a half. Of all the people I've met at SDCC over the years, he's the one I most hope to meet again.

Phil LaMarr was very gracious and had a few personal words for everyone as they passed for autographs.

Max Brooks at a book signing asked if I was dressed as a rapist. As I walked away I saw he had written "To <Redneck Kaiju>, who came dressed as a rapist" in my copy of World War Z. I thought it was funny, my daughter was mortified. I was not dressed as a rapist, BTW.

Frank Miller took a little extra time for my daughter at a signing and gave her a beautiful Batman sketch.

Same daughter behind the velvet rope before a Bob's Burgers signing caught Kristen Schaal's attention. They talked for a few minutes and she said Kristen was extremely nice. Eugene Mirman saw me taking a photo and stopped and smiled. I got the shot and mouthed 'thank you', he nodded and mouthed 'you're welcome' and went on about his business.

Since someone mentioned the The Aquabats, we missed MC Bat Commander by seconds but the booth crew was hilarious and worth a visit in their own right.

Frank Cho seemed disappointed by my preference for comics he drew in and just after college (University2 and Liberty Meadows) and my complete ignorance of the rest of his extensive portfolio. I don't blame him :D

Had a chance meeting with couple of voice actors from Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at a LoZ meetup/photo op. They were very personable, nice, and funny. They were also clearly fans, without a hint of pretense.

RK

I was at a toy show in San Jose, CA about 3 years ago, and Cindy Williams (aka Shirley Feeney from Laverne & Shirley) made an appearance. I went up to ask her table to ask her for a photo and an autograph. I mistakenly said "Hello, I am so happy you're here today! I would like to get photo and a picture with you?" Her response, very rudely was "Well which one do you want a photo or a picture? Aren't they the same thing? I don't understand what you're talking about." I corrected myself and said to her "Oh... I meant a photo and an autograph." She looked like she's have rather been in a Turkish prison than at this show. It was very uncomfortable. I did have a run in with Lou Ferrigno once, but when I called him out his attitude, he changed his tune.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back