Celebrity jerks?

When I met Rose McIver at her autograph booth at Los Angeles Comic Con, she seemed pretty nice, even shook my hand which i thought was cool.

Came across this today and found it interesting. I'm not a star struck person, and don't get awestruck due to celebrity status, that said, I used to travel quite a bit and have ran in to some celebrities, some nice, some complete ****** bags. My list:

The good-
Tea Leoni- I was flying a red eye from LA back in like 97, I sat next to Tea in first class who was on her way to NYC, but for some reason had to connect to CVG that night. She was down to earth. Usually on red eyes, I just try to zonk out before taking off, this flight was no exception, however right before they closed the door, she was seated in 3C next to me on Delta. I recognized her right away, but did not let her know I knew who she was. She introduced herself, mentioned that she was an actress and the next thing I knew, 4 hours later, we were still talking about just anything and on final approach to CVG. Very genuine person who just acted like she was just another person.

Mike Posner- I am not a Mike Posner fan musically, but he did some impromptu unplugged acoustic shows a few years ago where the day of, he'd announce where he was going. Any way, my wife is a fan and we drove to Columbus, OH. The guy sang a 12 song set to a cross legged sitting crowd in a park of about 150. Afterwards, he said if people wanted to get a picture with him, meet him by his RV. Again, my wife, a huge Posner fan said "let's stay" and we were the last in line. I had on a Detroit Red Wings shirt and didn't realize he was from Detroit. Anyway, we got our picture with him, and the next thing I knew, my wife just sat there and listened as Posner and I talked for about 45 minutes about Detroit sports. Guy was incredibly nice and very humbled by the fans but real humbled to just be talking to someone that I felt had an interest in things he liked, like Detroit sports teams.

Dave Mustaine- I hear all the complaints about him being a jerk, now unlike Posner, I am a huge Dave Mustaine fan, and have met him 5 or 6 times (not including a meet and greet I got at a concert) and the guy was down to earth. Dave I think doesn't want to just talk music, or hear Metallica this or that, if you approach Dave, acknowledge that you know who he is, and really, just chat about anything other than music, he will sit there and talk to you man to man, very cordial and appreciative that he doesn't have to talk about music. That said, I have seen him go off on someone also, and it was because the guy said something like "Metalli-Dave" and he got pissed. To me, tell him you appreciate his music, but don't linger on the subject of music and the guy will have a nice conversation with you.

Nikki Taylor- Covergirl model, a buddy of mine played for the Florida Panthers and used to invite me down, Nikki was dating Rob Niedermayer at the time and the two players seats were right next to each other so I sat next to her several games. Down to earth chick and really was easy to get to know her. After about the 3rd game, we were on first name basis. Just such a nice person, so much different than I would have expected from a big name fashion model.

The UGLY-
Christina Applegate- Again on a flight from Cincinnati to South Bend, IN in like 98 or 99, I sat next to Christina in first class. I was sitting there minding my business on a 35 minute flight, looking out the window to try to get my bearings of where we were at (because I used to make this drive all the time) and she said, "Shut that window will you?" Granted it was sunny, but it was at dusk, and I said, "I'm sorry but I am looking out the window", she became a complete bitch and said "You must not know who I am?" I looked at her and said, "A blonde with no **** and a bitchy attitude". She shut up and thankfully we landed 20 minutes later.

Courtney Cox- On a flight from ATL to LAX, I sat next to her in first class, and the entire flight she would complain to flight attendants about when people walk up from coach to use the First Class bathroom (which there were quite a few because I think someone recognized her and told everyone), she would have a flight attendant stand next to her so they would not engage in any unnecessary conversation with her. The entire 3 and a half hour flight, she did not say one word to me (which I am thankful for, God forbid anyone recognize her), and complained to flight attendants non-stop.

I didn't want to post sports stars because I used to play sports and have met many pro athletes in all sports, so my good and ugly...

Great people and approachable who stand out- Dallas Eakins (NHL player and coach); Rhett Warriner (NHL player); Steve Yzerman (NHL player and General Manager), Billy Hatcher (MLB player and coach); Jack Givens (NBA player and also a colleague of mine now); Marty Moore (NFL Player); Bruce Kozerski (NFL player and coach); Joe Walter (NFL player); Kevin Walker (NFL player and the guy who ended Bo Jackson's football career); Chad Ochocinco Johnson (NFL player) many others but these few are the exceptional with people

Complete sports jerks- Pete Rose (MLB player and coach); Johnny Bench (MLB player and probably biggest A-hole I've ever met); Paul O'Neill (MLB Player); Corey Dillon (NFL player); Cris Collinsworth (NFL player and TV analyst); Tiger Woods (PGA golfer); Terrell Owens (NFL player).

Last edited:
And then a few others I have had.

So when I was growing up, there were a few movies filmed in my area where either I was an extra or friends were extras. I will give a synopsis on the movies and experiences I either got first hand or heard from friends

Rainman- I was not an extra in this, but had a couple of friends who were in the scene filmed in Pompilio's (which I feel is the greatest Italian I have eaten ) where Dustin Hoffman drops the toothpicks and says how many there were.
Dustin Hoffman was super cool to the extras, took photos, signed, took the time to speak to them and asked their names and acknowledged them by their names the couple of days they were there to film the scene.
Tom Cruise- Was very standoffish to people. Wouldn't go away as soon as he could to avoid people and would get visibly irritated for any reshoots. I've heard he smelled of sweat during those days, like he did not use deodorant. (This was told to me, I do not have first hand knowledge)

Fresh Horses- I was an extra in this movie and met Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy... Movie was terrible, but they filmed it at a friends house. While not on camera, I can be heard in the movie during a scene outside the home in Newport, KY (car stereo blaring as we drove by). Now this car stereo blaring was by design, and we had to reshoot it three times for some reason... We never did rewind the song, my buddy and I just kept it going where it left off and it was George Thorogood Bad to the Bone at first, and One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer. I can't remember which edit made it in the movie, since I haven't seen it since like 1990, but I do remember it was faint (despite us have a pioneer stereo blaring in an old Cutlass at 10). Anyway, Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy were both cool, but we were also close to their age, my buddy was older than me and was legal to go to clubs, whereas I was not. We suggested to them a couple of clubs where the night life happens in downtown Cincinnati (used to be a place called Caddy's) and they invited us to go with them. While I was only 16, since we were there with Molly Ringwald, Andrew McCarthy and several more of the crew that night, they never carded me, it was the first of many times I had great nights at Caddys (but the rest, I was of legal age).

Airborne- Skater movie filmed in my hometown. I am actually an extra in multiple scenes. I was home recovering from a baseball knee surgery, but I could skate and could play hockey, which was rare in Cincinnati, so I was cast and I think was in the movie in over 40 scenes. Pompilio's was again used as a hangout, though I think they called it the "Pier" when it is nowhere near the water, but is a cool place to use for movies and well get the best Italian in the US when they aren't filming movies. Any way, several celebs I met in this movie Jack Black was cool,, I was in several scenes with him and he was probably cooler to me than the other co-stars... As he has gotten a bigger name, I heard he isn't as approachable, but I think this was one of his first movies, and he was cool.

Seth Green was kind of a real life nerd, who thought he was cooler than he really was. Nothing really stood out, but I was hoping for a scene where I could cross check him into the boards, just to do it because he seemed like a bit of a dweeb.

Shane McDermott felt his feces didn't stink. I just kinda laughed at him because he did think he was God's gift, and would flirt with chicks there and those dingbats ate it up... He was kinda a dirtbag.

Chris Conrad was a jerk. He felt like he was the star and since he was the love interest, he felt he was better than everyone else.

Brittney Powell was cool, kinda standoffish at first, but I flirted with her and she warmed up to it, I tried to get her to go out with me a few nights and she wouldn't, I am thinking the rumors of her and Chris were kinda true, either that or I heard she had a boyfriend back home. Either way, she was using that "I'm Taken"approach, however had I had another week with her, because I was in several scenes with her in them also, I would turn the flirt meter to 10 and it worked for the most part and she was receptive. Probably why Chris and I looked at each other like we wanted to kill each other. I do think I would've scored with her had I had one more week.

Jacob Vargas played Snake, he was cool, he made fun of several on the cast and was spot on, was a funny dude, and crap starter...

Never got to meet Edie McClurg but here this lady was like everyone's mother, I mean I guess you had to be with a ton of teens, but this is what was told to me from the stars, but she was very nice to work with, and having I did get along with a few of the main stars, I got some good gossip on the who's who in this movie...

Last edited:
It's interesting to read some of the different experiences and how different they are from one and other. It makes me a little sick because I'd still like to meet a few heroes, I suppose for the most part mine have had a good reputation. I mostly want to meet linda hamilton and christopher lloyd

Have a few others. I live in the Cincinnati area, so those people from here, you run into every now and again.

Anyway, I HATE BOY BANDS! Sadly have a wife that is crazy about them... LOL, so one boy band is 98 degrees. Anyway, I have met Nick Lachey several times at sporting events or around town, the guy is very nice, will talk to you (especially about Cincinnati sports). He doesn't live to far from me (though is house is up for sale now, if not sold) and we'd run into him and his wife Vanessa at times. I guess she is a celebrity also, but I'm not sure what she is in. She's always been nice as well.

Bill Hemmer from Fox News, super nice guy. It was odd, when he started, it was for WCPO here locally I believe and my cousin was just starting out in the business also and they looked identical. Bill Hemmer went on to bigger and better things, my cousin got out of journalism and is a VP at Fidelity Investments. But Bill was always a nice guy to me when I would meet him.

Jerry Springer was an anchor on WLWT here before he became this outlandish day time TV host. Also and some don't know, he was the mayor of Cincinnati at one point and was involved in a scandal himself of writing a bad check to a prostitute. Anyway, he was approachable, seemed to be a nice guy. He spoke at my high schools graduation in 1989 and had some great stories. I know some have said he was a jackwagon, but the few times I ran into him, he seemed to be very approachable back in the day. I'm sure that probably did change when he became a national celebrity.

John Ritter and Amy Yasbeck were very nice when out. They just lived a normal suburban life despite being on everyone's TV's for years.

Tara Patrick or some may know her by another name, Carmen Electra, eh, she was a pretty girl and suffered from the pretty girl syndrome (call that what you want). She would frequent clubs, and me and some buddies tried to pick up on her and some friends a few times. She was notorious for giving out her friends name when you asked for her number. I am sure Jamie Lanter (I believe that was a frequent number she'd give) got tired of dudes calling her home all the time trying to get a hold of Tara... LOL

Peter Frampton can be a jerk, I never spoke to him, but I was at a local establishment years ago when people would try to go up and talk to him when they recognized him, let;s just say he was less than pleasant when responding.

Aaron Pryor, a boxer and maybe one of the greatest in his weight class, I wish I had a better story about him, but his life was just sad, tragic. When I would see him all the time, my mother worked at a restaurant in downtown Cincinnati, and at times I would go over to either pick her up, or just be there eating after a game or something. While Aaron was nice, he was also a bum, in the literal sense. He lived off the streets, he was always in bad shape from drugs, he would sit out in front and bum money from people entering. Now granted, he was nice, but most people knew who he was and the tragic lifestyle he was now living.

Been a while since anyone posted here, but with con season starting up again (or so it seems to me), I figured I'd post in here.

I'll be attending a local con in a couple of weeks where I'll be doing my first ever photo ops. Gonna be meeting Sean Bean and Jason Momoa. Has anyone met either of these guys before in such a setting? Any tips or observations?

I have an idea of what I want to say to each of them, but figured I'd post here and see what insight (if any) other folks could offer.

Been a while since anyone posted here, but with con season starting up again (or so it seems to me), I figured I'd post in here.

I'll be attending a local con in a couple of weeks where I'll be doing my first ever photo ops. Gonna be meeting Sean Bean and Jason Momoa. Has anyone met either of these guys before in such a setting? Any tips or observations?

I have an idea of what I want to say to each of them, but figured I'd post here and see what insight (if any) other folks could offer.

Jason Momoa is, in my experience, awesome. He's just an overgrown dudebro who is pretty laid back and seems to genuinely enjoy meeting fans. Also... he has been known to sneak booze into venues and drink throughout the day, so he's usually about half-in-the-bag. Fortunately, he's not a mean drunk that I'm aware of.

As for Sean Astin, I have literally never heard anything but good about him.

Jason Momoa is, in my experience, awesome. He's just an overgrown dudebro who is pretty laid back and seems to genuinely enjoy meeting fans. Also... he has been known to sneak booze into venues and drink throughout the day, so he's usually about half-in-the-bag. Fortunately, he's not a mean drunk that I'm aware of.

As for Sean Astin, I have literally never heard anything but good about him.
Ah. Actually it's Sean Bean, not Sean Aston. Boromir/Sharpe, not Samwise/Mikey. :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I met Momoa when he was at the Long Beach comicon. It wasn't at the con, though. There was an Irish pub across the street that a few of us went to afterwards and we saw him in there. Jason was awesome and it was super cool getting to throw back a couple of pints with him.

Where on earth is Bean appearing? Would love to get his autograph in my Bond stars book!

Where on earth is Bean appearing? Would love to get his autograph in my Bond stars book!

Sorry, meant to respond to this sooner. It was Philadelphia Wizard World (basically, our local comicon).

So, my report:

Sean Bean seemed quite friendly and soft spoken. He was well dressed for the event, too. I told him I loved him in Sharpe, he said "Oh, thank you very much" in a way that suggested some surprise at having Sharpe mentioned, we snapped a picture, he said thanks, I said thanks and take care, and off I went.

Jason Momoa had a lot of energy for the photos and seemed to be engaging the fans as best he could. My wife is Hawai'ian and asked him to do the shaka for the pic, which he did. He said aloha as we left.

For the photo shoots, the staff REALLY hustled you through. You had maybe a fraction of a second with the celeb, enough to say one sentence, and then you were on your way. They had a TON of people queued up for Momoa, and a pretty solid number for Sean Bean as well. Sebastian Stan also had massive numbers for whatever reason. I had no idea he was that popular. Women were swooning over Momoa, and, to be fair, he's a really good looking dude and seems really personable.

Out on the floor, I ran into Matt Ryan (Constantine, Legends of Tomorrow). I think he was headed to the restrooms as I was on the way to meet up with my wife. I didn't recognize him at first, and then realized who he was, and said "Oh, hey, I'm really glad to hear you'll be on Legends next season!" He said, yeah, they'd start shooting in July. As he left, I told him Constantine was cancelled way before its time. He smiled, thanked me, and went on his way. That was probably the longest interaction I had with anyone.

Thomas Ian Nicholas (American Pie, and uh...that baseball movie?) was coming back from the restroom. I recognized him, gave him a head nod, he gave me a friendly head nod back.

Today was the first con I did where I actually did a photo op and I have to say...I'd probably never do that again. I'm glad I have the photos, but I'm not sure (A) it was worth the price I paid in cash, and it definitely didn't feel like it was worth the time standing in line. I think an autograph would be much nicer. The lines were a lot shorter, and people seemed to get, like, a minute, instead of maybe 15-20 seconds to interact.

There were other folks there, including Natalie Dormer and Charisma Carpenter, both of whom are TINY (and gorgeous), and Joonas Chewbaccaface (I forget his last name, but he's the new Chewie) who is, unsurprisingly, quite tall.

The con was fun for me and for my wife, for whom this was her first con, but I have to say I feel sorry for the celebs. The whole experience has got to be so freaking surreal. People just spin through in a blaze and you get maybe 5 seconds to smile and say hello, then they snap a pic. You probably make decent money doing it, but it's just so impersonal. If you want to actually meet the fans, this seems like not the best way to do it, at least not for the photo ops. Still, it was a good time, there was a lot of great people watching, some really cool and entertaining costumes, and at the end of it all, my wife said she'd really like to go back to one in the future. So, all in all, a good trip, and I learned a valuable lesson: if you want the personal memorabilia, go with the photo. If you want to actually interact with the celeb, do an autograph. Probably old news to most of the seasoned hands here, but news to me.

Today was the first con I did where I actually did a photo op and I have to say...I'd probably never do that again. I'm glad I have the photos, but I'm not sure (A) it was worth the price I paid in cash, and it definitely didn't feel like it was worth the time standing in line. I think an autograph would be much nicer. The lines were a lot shorter, and people seemed to get, like, a minute, instead of maybe 15-20 seconds to interact.

There were other folks there, including Natalie Dormer and Charisma Carpenter, both of whom are TINY (and gorgeous), and Joonas Chewbaccaface (I forget his last name, but he's the new Chewie) who is, unsurprisingly, quite tall.

The con was fun for me and for my wife, for whom this was her first con, but I have to say I feel sorry for the celebs. The whole experience has got to be so freaking surreal. People just spin through in a blaze and you get maybe 5 seconds to smile and say hello, then they snap a pic. You probably make decent money doing it, but it's just so impersonal. If you want to actually meet the fans, this seems like not the best way to do it, at least not for the photo ops. Still, it was a good time, there was a lot of great people watching, some really cool and entertaining costumes, and at the end of it all, my wife said she'd really like to go back to one in the future. So, all in all, a good trip, and I learned a valuable lesson: if you want the personal memorabilia, go with the photo. If you want to actually interact with the celeb, do an autograph. Probably old news to most of the seasoned hands here, but news to me.

Small cons and Dragon Con seem to the best way to meet celebs and actually have some actual interaction with them. I've heard good things about GateCon, it's small and fairly intimate and the celebs have free reign and aren't just shuttled in and out for photos and autographs or brief stage appearances. I've heard that at DragonCon they can often be seen at the hotels bars after hours where you can chat with them and share a drink.

The absolute best for guest/celeb interaction was at Space Above and Beyond con that I helped organize a year or two ago. The con was absolutely tiny, no more than 50 attendees in total but we had the entire main cast there and because the venue was small, you could see them up close and personal. Once it came to autographs, because there were so few people in attendance and because there were no minders, you could take your time to talk with for a little bit. It was a great con for those who like to meet and/or interact with celebrity guests.

Yeah, I gather the smaller, more focused cons can be better for interaction, albeit sometimes more expensive (Eg, supernatural cons). This was Wizard World, which I take it has a reputation for shuttling people through and closely minding the stars. It's a moneymaking enterprise for the con itself and for the stars, to a degree.

I did notice that the autograph lines were WAY shorter. Like, Charisma had maybe 10 people waiting when I walked by. Natalie Dormer had maybe 5, although it looked like she was about to take a break or wrap up for a photo shoot.

Anyway, by far, my best interaction was with Matt Ryan on his way to the loo. Go figure.
Small cons and Dragon Con seem to the best way to meet celebs and actually have some actual interaction with them. I've heard good things about GateCon, it's small and fairly intimate and the celebs have free reign and aren't just shuttled in and out for photos and autographs or brief stage appearances. I've heard that at DragonCon they can often be seen at the hotels bars after hours where you can chat with them and share a drink.

The absolute best for guest/celeb interaction was at Space Above and Beyond con that I helped organize a year or two ago. The con was absolutely tiny, no more than 50 attendees in total but we had the entire main cast there and because the venue was small, you could see them up close and personal. Once it came to autographs, because there were so few people in attendance and because there were no minders, you could take your time to talk with for a little bit. It was a great con for those who like to meet and/or interact with celebrity guests.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back in the early 80's I met William Shatner and he was pretty cold and dry with me however, I've met him several times over the years and he's become more approachable. Still not real into conversations.

I also met Nichelle Nichols and she gave me a negative look with a raised eyebrow. No hi, hello, get lost or anything. I quite honestly felt like she didn't like me. I said hi, I'm a fan. love your work. The basic starry eyed nerd thing. I got nothin... I've heard this from a few other guys too from different events. Odd.

On a positive note, Gene Roddenberry and Jimmy Doohan, were the best of the best. I met Jimmy many times over the years and I would always take him glasses of scotch from the bar to make his autograph sessions go easier. He started remembering my name after the 2nd time and always gave me a big hug. I met Gene at the 25th anniversary in CA. He got up out of his wheelchair to shake my hand. I was blown away.

Cassandra Peterson aka Elvira is a Goddess. I've met her several times in and out of costume and she gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek in her Elvira costume. I'm still at attention today when I think about that. ;0)

Adam West and Leonard Nimoy were awesome men as well. I miss them both very much.

Has anyone met Lynda Carter? I would love to meet her. I've thought about going to one of her concerts but, I wrote her "from webpage" and she said she doesn't meet fans at her concerts.
I wish she did conventions. too bad!

Back in the 90’s I would run into her all the time at charity events I would cater, as well as the super market she would shop at.

Class act, friendly as can be, and ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

Her pics do not do her justice

Has anyone met Lynda Carter? I would love to meet her. I've thought about going to one of her concerts but, I wrote her "from webpage" and she said she doesn't meet fans at her concerts.
I wish she did conventions. too bad!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back