Celebrity jerks?

The fact of the matter is that most of the 'celebs behaving badly' are those who just don't care. Most of them have a guarantee when they come to a convention; that is, money they'll receive just for showing up regardless of what they bring in from autographs. In Julie Benz's case with ECCC, it was $10,000. Needless to say, with her ****-poor attitude, she didn't come CLOSE to making that much from sales, but that's what she walked away with. I guess that might explain why the boys who run the con haven't shown any interest in having her back.

That's the part I don't get. It's a pretty short, straight line between "acting like a jerk" to "losing that line of income." Now, Julie Benz is currently on this new show (we'll see how long it lasts...) and has spent the last four years doing Dexter, but still. Why would you be a pain to folks? The con organizers simply won't invite you back and will get someone who actually appreciates being there, and there goes your $10K plus expenses plus whatever you bring in from autographs/photos/memorabilia.

That's the part I don't get. It's a pretty short, straight line between "acting like a jerk" to "losing that line of income." Now, Julie Benz is currently on this new show (we'll see how long it lasts...) and has spent the last four years doing Dexter, but still. Why would you be a pain to folks? The con organizers simply won't invite you back and will get someone who actually appreciates being there, and there goes your $10K plus expenses plus whatever you bring in from autographs/photos/memorabilia.

You and me both, Solo. Personally, thanks in large part to my experience with her, I avoid shows and movies with Ms. Benz in it as much as possible. She left that bad of a taste in my mouth with her behavior. One the other hand, I will go out of my way to support people like Hogan, Tahmoh and Aaron because they were awesome.

I would add Ryan Reynolds to your list, Hector. The man hates his fans. His persona on awards shows and interviews is just an act. Study any video of him where he 'signs' for fans - he only does it when he knows cameras are on him and he hates every second of it. There are many stories from his sets about how he treats the crews like second-class citizens.

Not to mention how he treated me when I was being super-polite and cordial and clearly a fan.

I was a huge fan of his before that and now I can't disassociate that moment with his future work. As background, I was at a movie theater lounge in downtown Chicago where he was going to do a Q&A after his movie, Buried. I walked into the lounge and saw him and a group of people in a far booth. I didn't bother them and kept my distance.

He spent almost 30 minutes texting and ignoring most of his table-mates. When he got up and I asked politely if he could sign, he was annoyed, started to sign and then the fan in me took over and I tried to take a picture.

He said, 'come on, man', and threw my pics back at me, slammed my marker to the floor, and said 'there you go, buddy.'

I was stunned speechless. There were other people there in the lounge who were also stunned - one woman gasped when he threw my marker on the ground. This was a month ago and he had just finished Green Lantern and the guy is a good foot taller than I am and totally jacked. I thought he was going to dismember me right there.

After the incident, I was really shaken, but I feel it reflects on him, not me. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. If he thought I was papparazzi or something, that's no excuse to throw my pen down like that.

Interesting story.

I think part of the problem is also the professional autograph/photograph hunters. There was that story a while back about the guy pestering Jim Cameron to sign his poster. While Cameron certainly came across as a jerk (no surprise there), the guy also apparently was outed as an autograph hunter who then sells what he gets signed.

But, all that said, if you show up at a place where you're doing a press junket, a con, a or some other publicity gig, put your friggin' party hat on. Yes, you're a star, yes, the public treats you like they own you, yes, you don't get a moment's peace. But (A) you signed up for it, (B) you wouldn't have a damn job without them, and most importantly (C) you're here on a professional gig representing yourself and/or your film.

I mean, I'll cut a dude some slack if he's literally just out at the movies with his buddy, or in the mall, or some "civilian" location and he's getting pestered. I also recognize that folks have bad days and other stress in their lives about which I know nothing, and which I may find myself on the receiving end of. Everyone has moments like that.

But like I said, you're at a publicity gig. You're there to be seen and to press the flesh. You're there to kiss the fans' asses and pray that they keep you in nice clothes, good food, and fast cars. Treat it like an acting job and pretend you're happy to be there, even if you aren't.

Because if you **** on your fans, you will soon find yourself out of work. But if you are good to your fans, well, you'll always be able to make a quick mortgage payment by doing a con or two.

Ryan Reynolds is an ass - he's a total handjob - acts a lot like a 13yr old.

And I hate to burst everyone bubble here but i've written it here before - one of the - if not the biggest A-HOLE I have ever met has to be Michael J Fox - the guy is a total jerk - imagine someone with a Napoleon complex with money and a bad attitude. total knob

And I hate to burst everyone bubble here but i've written it here before - one of the - if not the biggest A-HOLE I have ever met has to be Michael J Fox - the guy is a total jerk - imagine someone with a Napoleon complex with money and a bad attitude. total knob

Oh come on, he's a really nice guy!
Why, I handed him my glass of milk and he made me a milkshake on the spot!
I hear he makes a mean martini, too.

i would be less likely to ask for a photo from someone after asking them for an autograph if they are out with their friends. im sure you all have worn your best replica costume and tried to eat, do you know how frustrating it is to want to eat with people pestering you for photos?

very. its happened with me plenty of times.

cons? fair game. there's no need for them to be dickholes.
in the real world? no. if they look approachable, approach them. if they look like they're having a bad day and see you recognize them a simple nod or smile. be courteous. if you manage an autograph out of them leave it at that, and thank them. treat others how you want to be treated.

You *******!!! I was gonna go there!!
Oh hell no, I've been waiting for THREE DAYS for someone to say something about him! :lol

I think it was Jet Beetle that had some good stories about MJF and.. bowling, wasn't it?
That post should be somewhere on the board, but I can't find it off the top of my head.
It was great, just desserts.

(I might add, also, that Parkinsons is not normally such a laughing matter. It's pretty well known what a ******* Michael J. Fox is at this point, hence the insults. I mean no offense to anyone else who may be suffering from, or be related to someone suffering from, Parkinsons.)

Ryan Reynolds is an ass - he's a total handjob - acts a lot like a 13yr old.

Michael J. Fox came into my family's flower shop in Berkeley randomly one night while he was in town and bought some flowers from my dad to bring to wherever he was going. My dad said he was really nice, but didn't stick around too long and let his personal assistant pay and what not.

i had no idea mjf was a tool. now i know.
Nah, ya really don't. This is a somewhat amusing thread, but what is glaring to me is that we don't really know these people. Sure, some can be complete asshats, but this is at a con...their side job. I don't know about you, but I am not always a happy camper at my job.

We would have to know these people outside of a work environment to say conclusively whether or not they are the d-bags we think.

Now, back to the bashing!! WOOHOO!!

No - Dude - trust me, he is a tool. Take it to the bank. I realize seeing is believing and all - but everyone I know that has worked with him all have some horror story. Mine is funny, but it still shows his character. He's got a chip on his shoulder the size of the clock tower. Very stand-offish and ready to have his people prove how tough all 5ft 5 of him really is.

I don't go to cons too often but I do have my occasional run in with celebs.

* Cindy Morgan from Tron and Caddyshack was at a local con a few years back (before Tron Legacy was announced). She was very nice and we talked for quite a bit. Got a picture with her and a few Yori autographs.

* Charles Martinet (aka the voice of Mario) was very very awesome. Every time you see him, he's always grinning and he really loves his fans, no matter how crazy they get. LOL

* Steven Downes (aka the voice of Master Chief) was cool too. However he was less enthusiastic about the con and probably got annoyed by all of the obsessive Halo fanboys.

* Mega64 were really cool too. Rocco and Shawn were the nicest of the bunch. However, Derrick seemed to be a bit annoyed. Garrett was cool too and Rocco really liked my Tron helmet.

* George Lowe (the voice of Space Ghost) was nice, but he was really sick with a stomach bug and was annoyed that he was there at MegaCon, rather than being in his hotel bed. Felt sorry for him.

* Ran into Peter Mayhew at the entrance to MegaCon. He was with his wife and was waiting for assistance to get up the large flight of stairs at the convention center. I was looking at him and noticed it was him. I slowly walked up to him and said "Hey, it's you!". He said "Hello" but the look on his face was like "oh, God, no...not another crazy one". He was hunched over, looking rather frail with his cane. I felt bad for him and didn't wanna bother him so, I quickly said "It's really awesome meeting you" and darted up the stairs, trying my best not to be any more awkward. LOL

* Also ran into Woody Austin, the crazy golfer. He seemed like a moron and acted all pompous.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back