Celebrity jerks?

hmmm, anyone met Robin Williams?

I never met him personally, but I work in the game industry and he was a huge gamer. I was at more than one industry event where someone said, "You just missed Robin Williams". I know several people who met him and they all said he was very nice and very humble.

In the late '80s I was at a comparatively small -- maybe a few hundred people -- fundraiser in SF where Williams showed-up unannounced and did a short set after which he kinda made the rounds of the crowd so got to meet him for like two seconds. He had just come off stage, obviously, so he was still very "up" and "on" so not at all relaxed so maybe not a very realistic exchange but seemed very genuine and clearly -- having basically just done a political benefit for free -- a cool guy.

Anyone met Matt Smith? Going to see him next weekend.

I have no illusions that he'll have any time for much more than just the signature as he's a pretty hot ticket right now but is he as genuine as he seems?

Matt was here in Calgary in April for our Comic Expo. I didn't get a chance to meet him, but others that did all had positive encounters.

Almost, when he and Al Pacino shot Insomnia in my home town with Chris Nolan. Unfortunately I was out of town and didn't get back to my parents' place until the day after filming wrapped. Here's a good article Victoria's Time Colonist published on the same day after the news broke that Robin had passed:
Times Colonist: Robin Williams endeared himself during Port Alberni shoot
A good chunk of it was filmed at the bottom of Argyle street near the railway station, right next to the Harbor Quay. The building in the photo just behind Robin is actually being torn down right now, the old Somass Hotel. There's a nice goof-up in the movie. Robin's apartment is in the Carmoor building which Al Pacino goes into, but Pacino comes out of the Somass which is across the street from where he went in.

Well I have met quite a few celebs, but the conversations were generally limited. I will start with my most recent:

Bruce Boxleitner - Very nice guy talked for a few minutes about Babylon 5 and his LMN show.

Kevin Sorbo - Super nice, actually initiated the conversation with me. I wish had spent more time talking to him about his "God's not dead" role.

Edward James Olmos - Also a very nice guy. Talked about Miami Vice and J.Lo in "Selina"

Morena Baccarin - Holy Crud Flakes Batman! She is more gorgeous in person than on screen.:love She was very nice and also spoke to my 5 year old son who was asking about here photographs on the table.

Lou Ferrigno - Seemed pretty nice. I helped him locate the title of a DVD movie he wanted at a vendor table.

David Prowse - Met him at the Master Replicas party at C3, had no trouble having a free photo taken with him, but otherwise he didn't say much.

Adrian Paul - Seemed nice enough, met him in an elevator at a con. Talked more with his friends than him actually. Little shorter than I thought he'd be.

I have met nearly all of the Trek TOS primary cast with the exception of Nichelle Nichols and Leonard Nimoy. My favorite was James Doohan.

Michael O'Hare - A little aloof but understandable in retrospect considering he was suffering from schizophrenia.

And for the "Two degrees of separation" celebrities:

My close friend went to school with Nicole Scherzinger and states she is great and very shy when not performing.

Another close friend friend worked in the FX industry in the 80's and said Arnold was nice (Total Recall), Ed Harris (The Abyss) was a good guy, and Michael Biehn had a coke problem.

And finally, my friend's brother went to Saint Xavier HS with Tom Cruise (Tom Mapother at the time I think) and said he was odd then. I guess Tom was Catholic before he got all Scientologied :LOL

Hung around after a Shiny Toy Guns concert on Wednesday and met Carah Faye. I was the only one there really...there was one other guy that was a friend of Jeremy's but that was it. She came out, waved to me, and I walked up...I just told her she kicked ass out there and wanted to shake her hand...not much from me, but surprisingly she engaged me quite a bit from there on her own, asking me my name, what I did, where I was from, if I was coming out to the next show in San Diego. She saw my motorcycle parked behind me a ways and asked if it was my bike, I said yes and she started talking about how awesome it was (complimenting my bike is a way to get straight to my heart, this girl has it all).
Since she was asking me about what I did, I mentioned that I was working on a short film that featured one of their songs...she immediately seemed very interested (this was a coincidental benefit of meeting her, I was not planning on bringing it up originally) and basically told me "yeah, let's do it" and gave me the people I should contact, telling me to say "Carah told me to pester you".
There was a point in the conversation where my hand went into my pocket to get my phone and ask for a photo, but I thought to myself, no way...don't be one of those guys...and left it.
Overall a great chick, super polite, personable, down-to-earth and exceptionally friendly. Being a huge fan of their music since their first album, the experience for me was very, very cool.
Didn't get to meet the rest of the group sadly, but I heard from the other guy hanging with me that they are all just as nice.

Speaking of motorcycles, I was at a local flat-track race a few weeks back, and I didn't see him personally, but apparently Jason Lee (Earl/Syndrome) was just at the event chilling out. I'm actually really surprised I didn't catch him, there were only like 100 people there and I guess he left while I was on the course. Seems like a cool guy.

Can't get into detail due to professional blah blah, but the King of Hell is aptly cast.

Met him last weekend at a Supernatural con. Seemed like a jerk during his panel but then I figured out he's got a Ricky Gervais vibe. He likes to walk the crowd and banter with people. More than once he walked right up to the people who were waiting at the microphones to ask questions and they would wind up asking the questions using his mic. He called my daughter and myself out of the crowd because he assumed I was the bored Dad who was drug their by his kid. He was surprised when I told him I was a fan as well and asked mine and my daugher's names etc.

My daughter wasn't terribly interested in him before, but immediately afterwards she asked if we could get a photo op with him. When the time came later for the photo op, he remembered both of us by name. Overall, he was very courteous and professional.

Now, he was getting paid to be courteous and professional and clearly understands that the fans are his livelihood. I wouldn't be surprised if he's totally different while on the job. I'm just saying he was very nice in person. Also, way shorter than I thought he was. I'm 5'10" and I had a good three inches on him.

In the same vein, met Osric Chau (Kevin Tran) at the same con and he was super nice. Kept hugging his fans despite the Creation Con goons telling him not to. We talked about DragonCon as he had gone for the first time this year.

Misha Collins was super nice to my daughter. She had a photo op with him and she was nervous as hell being only 16. She walked up and asked him if he would kiss her on the cheek and he said "Hell yeah!" and totally hugged her and kissed her on the cheek for the shot. Very nice guy.

In the same vein, met Osric Chau (Kevin Tran) at the same con and he was super nice. Kept hugging his fans despite the Creation Con goons telling him not to. We talked about DragonCon as he had gone for the first time this year.

Misha Collins was super nice to my daughter. She had a photo op with him and she was nervous as hell being only 16. She walked up and asked him if he would kiss her on the cheek and he said "Hell yeah!" and totally hugged her and kissed her on the cheek for the shot. Very nice guy.

Misha was definitely a favorite of the staff when he was here for ECCC.

Kris Holden-Reid from Lost Girl was sweet as well. He made his handler feel almost like she was the one who was the celebrity, he was so nice and courteous toward her.

My partner and I were in the US doing a road trip from LA across to Orlando in November 2011. Once we made it to Alberqueque and being a huge fan of Breaking Bad I said to my gf that I'd find some of the filming locations to take some pics. We ended up going to the Walter White house last. It was all fenced off and looked derelict. There were a bunch of guys throwing dead leaves and rubbish over the lawn. They told us to come back in the morning as they were filming for the last season. Next morning we got to meet Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan. Both extremely nice blokes and took a bit of time off schedule to talk to us and sign our lonely planet guide. Bryan was wearing his aged prosthetics, a greenish coat and dirty shirt ready for filming. The scene was of him pulling up front of his old house 8 years later or something and breaking inside. Managed to take a few sneaky shots with my ipad. I haven't watched all of breaking bad yet as I've been busy so don't know what the scene was about. The ultimate highlight of my road trip.

As for bad celebrity, the actress who plays the mum of Rose in Titanic we saw her walking with a friend in the main drag of Hollywood. There were a couple of papz wanting photos of her and she yelled at them to f-off. Not good.

Isn't this thread supposed to be Celebrity Jerks... not Really Nice Celebrities? :)

We've already tried making a separate thread, but I think it's more fun to compare and contrast. "____ is a really nice guy, but now _______, HE is a major dick..." More interesting, haha.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back