Subscribe
    From
    Michigan
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 27, 2017, 12:53 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1451

Kind of off-topic since this is about jerks, but I went to a comic-con for the first time ever last year, and finally saw what autograph/photo sessions were all about. I would never in a million years think of asking for someone's autograph/time (even though they're getting paid for it, I hate to feel like an inconvenience), so my buddy and I just watched from afar.

Lea Thompson was there, and she seemed like the nicest person, engaging everyone with a legitimate smile. It was beautiful to see someone that maybe isn't majorly "relevant" anymore, but still appreciative that people turned out and took the time, and then reciprocating with a genuine respect for the moment.

Capitalism be damned, it was awesome. Warmed the heart.
  2. RPF Premium Member razorsharp192's Avatar
    From
    UK
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 3:39 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1452

SethS said: View Post
    I take it you've never worked customer service? Times that by 100 and imagine your entire day is supernerds asking you esoteric questions about a thing you did 30 years ago while you autograph their toys.

Cut them some slack.
    Yes I have. If you're working in customer service you're paid to be courteous to your customers. Not sure why you think it's acceptable for someone to be ignorant/miserable/a jerk etc when people are paying simply to meet them? Unless you're speaking from experience i.e. you're in a job you hate and feel that it's ok to be a jerk to your customers because you're unhappy?
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 4:41 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1453

You can put words in my mouth if you like, but that's not what I'm saying. I was perfectly clear.
    1 Week Ago  Nov 28, 2017, 5:08 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1454

razorsharp192 said: View Post
    Yes I have. If you're working in customer service you're paid to be courteous to your customers. Not sure why you think it's acceptable for someone to be ignorant/miserable/a jerk etc when people are paying simply to meet them? Unless you're speaking from experience i.e. you're in a job you hate and feel that it's ok to be a jerk to your customers because you're unhappy?
    That's pretty much the point. If they are sitting at that table and taking people's money, they owe it to them, they are being paid by them, to be decent human beings no matter how much they might hate it, no matter how much they might wish they were somewhere else. They are always welcome to go do something else and forego all of the money they are making from fans. Nobody holds a gun to their heads. They can go get a regular job like everyone else.

That said, yes, I think that a lot of fans are just ********, but when you sign up for that kind of work, you have to expect it and be able to work past it, otherwise, go do something else.
  5. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 3:02 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1455

A nice kid who wants to meet their idol and pays around $50 and up doesn't deserve to be ignored and given a dirty look like he's a piece of trash. I could be puking and still manage to smile if paid those prices. But that's just me. Now, the paparazzi's I can see why they get their cameras smashed and I'd proly do the same if they were harassing me and my family.Lea Thompson seems so real and genuine. It shows in her interviews with her honesty. Refreshing to listen to her.
    Last edited by Pattyk77; 1 Week Ago at 3:08 PM.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 3:44 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1456

Cephus said: View Post
    That's pretty much the point. If they are sitting at that table and taking people's money, they owe it to them, they are being paid by them, to be decent human beings no matter how much they might hate it, no matter how much they might wish they were somewhere else. They are always welcome to go do something else and forego all of the money they are making from fans. Nobody holds a gun to their heads. They can go get a regular job like everyone else.

That said, yes, I think that a lot of fans are just ********, but when you sign up for that kind of work, you have to expect it and be able to work past it, otherwise, go do something else.
    I'm not saying that celebs in the position shouldn't feel this way-- they should, I agree. I'm just saying that it doesn't always happen that way.

Just like no one is every 100% happy at their job. Everyone has a bad day, and some people work jobs they hate for YEARS. All I am saying is-- even though they are celebrities, this can happen to them too. I'm not saying it's cool for them to be a-holes to people, just that we'd be foolish to think they are infallible-- ESPECIALLY when faced with exhausting annoying fanboys. That's enough to wear anybody down.

But I do stand by my claim that celebrities don't owe their fans anything, and the fan that comes at a celeb thinking they do, is in the wrong.
    Last edited by SethS; 1 Week Ago at 4:37 PM.
  7. RPF Premium Member razorsharp192's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 4:29 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1457

But I do stand by my claim that celebrities don't owe their fans anything, and the fan that comes at a celeb thinking they do, is in the wrong.
    you're right, they don't owe fans anything, but when they're at a convention happily taking fans money just for the chance to meet them, it's a whole different story.
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 7:06 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1458

I'm not saying that celebs in the position shouldn't feel this way-- they should, I agree. I'm just saying that it doesn't always happen that way.

Just like no one is every 100% happy at their job. Everyone has a bad day, and some people work jobs they hate for YEARS. All I am saying is-- even though they are celebrities, this can happen to them too. I'm not saying it's cool for them to be a-holes to people, just that we'd be foolish to think they are infallible-- ESPECIALLY when faced with exhausting annoying fanboys. That's enough to wear anybody down.

But I don't care. This is their job. This is how they make money. They need to be able to paste on a smile when they go to work or they need to find other employment. There was a recent story about some Burger King manager or something who cussed out a customer and they deserve to get fired. I don't care what their day was like. I don't care how worn down they were. They acted unacceptably and deserve to lose their job over it. All the excuses in the world don't change that.

And for celebrities that are being PAID by their fans for pleasant interaction and autographs, they DO owe their fans. They are being paid by their fans. They are making a living off of their fans. If it's some guy off the street, sure, he owes that guy nothing because that guy isn't paying him for attention, but when it's pay-for-pleasantries like at a convention... the celebrities DO OWE THEIR FANS WHO ARE PAYING THEM!
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 8:55 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1459

I think if I was a celebrity I would tell my fans to call me out if they ever felt I was treating them badly. They are your meal ticket, so you should at least act like you're happy to be there.
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 9:14 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1460

I've heard that Kevin Spacey isn't that nice.

Has anyone else heard that?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 9:28 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1461

But I don't care. This is their job. This is how they make money. They need to be able to paste on a smile when they go to work or they need to find other employment. There was a recent story about some Burger King manager or something who cussed out a customer and they deserve to get fired. I don't care what their day was like. I don't care how worn down they were. They acted unacceptably and deserve to lose their job over it. All the excuses in the world don't change that.

And for celebrities that are being PAID by their fans for pleasant interaction and autographs, they DO owe their fans. They are being paid by their fans. They are making a living off of their fans. If it's some guy off the street, sure, he owes that guy nothing because that guy isn't paying him for attention, but when it's pay-for-pleasantries like at a convention... the celebrities DO OWE THEIR FANS WHO ARE PAYING THEM!
    I've had fans scream in my face (fans of something I worked on, not me specifically) and I promise you, I didn't deserve it. And while I wasn't selling autographs, I was paid to work on the thing they were a fan of. And guess what-- when some jackass fanboy gets in your face when all you're trying to do is make a living, and you've done nothing wrong to them, you have every right in the world to tell them off. And I did.

Again-- if a celebrity wants to sell their autograph, they should have a decent attitude and slap that smile on. I agree--

The only point I was trying to make-- is that sometimes people have hard lives, and while that may not excuse their bad behavior, I think it does buy a little empathy and understanding.

If you don't care, that's totally fine. There's a spectrum from empathetic to self-absorbed and everyone falls on it somewhere different.
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 10:10 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1462

^ whoa, big time argumentative fallacy there, claiming a moral high ground....among others. "I'm right because I'm a caring person and you're obviously not." Foul on the play.

You know perfectly well a fan screaming in the celebrity's face is not the situation being discussed. Using an extreme example to make a case for the vast majority of average encounters... Foul #2. Ten yards.
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Nov 30, 2017, 11:33 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1463

Oh hush.

I'm not claiming superiority. I see how it reads that way talking about a spectrum right after acknowledging Cephus said he didn't care. I didn't mean to frame it like that.

Just illustrating that it takes all types. Jerk fans. Jerk celebrities. Both are equally problematic.
    From
    Hillsboro Oregon
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 3:06 AM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1464

Kevin Spacey is nice...if you're a 14yo boy.
  15. RPF Premium Member
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 8:51 AM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1465

Treadwell said: View Post
    ^ whoa, big time argumentative fallacy there, claiming a moral high ground....among others. "I'm right because I'm a caring person and you're obviously not." Foul on the play.

You know perfectly well a fan screaming in the celebrity's face is not the situation being discussed. Using an extreme example to make a case for the vast majority of average encounters... Foul #2. Ten yards.
    Well, youíre technically right but I do think youíre nitpicking at Sethís point a little.

But if we are discussing argument construction, this entire conversation hinges on a faulty psychological premise - that what we *should* get and what we *actually* get, should always match. They donít, and itís the reason we feel disappointed over anything. Itís a mismatch between personal expectation and reality.

Itís entirely possible the other party in many situations we feel disappointed in is behaving in a perfectly acceptable way - it just doesnít meet our own personal expectations of what we hoped and wanted from the encounter.

I have a feeling many celebrity interactions go this way, especially at conventions.

Iím also not saying there arenít legitimate situations where people are just jerks. Of course there are. But faulty expectations is a quintessential flaw of the human psyche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 12:53 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1466

Exactly!

I’m just saying we should treat other people with respect without assumptions...

...except for on message boards, obv.
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 1:01 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1467

From the latest argument what we are saying, and should be obvious, is that the jerk could be on either or both sides of celebrity interactions. In other words, the fan might be the jerk.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 3:13 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1468

NormanF said: View Post
    From the latest argument what we are saying, and should be obvious, is that the jerk could be on either or both sides of celebrity interactions. In other words, the fan might be the jerk.
    And they deserve to be called out for it too. Anyone who is a jerk at all deserves to get clobbered for their actions. But when one party is paying the other party for something, saying "they're having a bad day" is an absurd excuse. Who cares? When I go to work, I could be having the worst day ever and my clients still deserve to be treated with respect because they are paying my salary. It doesn't matter if they're complete idiots, I still can't tell them off because it's part of my job to be polite 100% of the time. And like it or not, someone putting themselves behind a table and taking money from people coming to that table, that's part of their job too.
  19. RPF Premium Member razorsharp192's Avatar
    From
    UK
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 3:54 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1469

And they deserve to be called out for it too. Anyone who is a jerk at all deserves to get clobbered for their actions. But when one party is paying the other party for something, saying "they're having a bad day" is an absurd excuse. Who cares? When I go to work, I could be having the worst day ever and my clients still deserve to be treated with respect because they are paying my salary. It doesn't matter if they're complete idiots, I still can't tell them off because it's part of my job to be polite 100% of the time. And like it or not, someone putting themselves behind a table and taking money from people coming to that table, that's part of their job too.
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 4:06 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1470

The client isn't always right I've been on both side of the "counter" and I've always treated my customer the way I wanted to be treated...but, if a customer is a real jerk, then I'll show him/her the door. My job description wasn't stating: "You'll take ridiculous abuse from people who have no idea what the word civil means"
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 4:40 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1471

I still object to the "fan being a real jerk" scenario being added to this discussion. That situation is not what was being discussed. It is muddying the waters. The subject was the celebrity being unkind to people OUTSIDE of such situations.
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 9:47 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1472

I remember doing a renovation on a lawyers office on bay street in Toronto years ago. This was when "relic Hunter" was being filmed here.

It was a beautiful Reno. All mission style with lots of oak.

Anyway I was working on the receptionist desk when the elevator door opened up. There was Tia Carrere standing right in front of me.

"Oops, wrong floor" she said.

And then just as the doors were closing she said, "nice work, though"

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    1 Week Ago  Dec 2, 2017, 11:07 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1473

Treadwell said: View Post
    This works. Or even if it's about a project that isn't the main thing they're known for.
    When I met the late Richard LeParmentier, I asked him about Roger Rabbit rather than Star Wars. He lit up.

Granted, I guess if I really used the Solo4114 method properly, I should've asked him about owning a hotel in Florida. But... yawn.
    You know I met him in 2001 in Pittsburgh and I had NO CLUE at the time he was in Roger Rabbit. If I had known I would have asked him a ton of questions. I watched that movie about a million times on VHS. LOL I was there in Stormtrooper gear hanging out with him and other Star Wars guests. It was awesome. Richard was fantastic, friendly and about as down to earth as the ground gets. Loved the guy. I wish I had met him again but it was a great weekend!
  24. Member Since
    Mar 2014
    From
    Fribourg, Switzerland
    1 Week Ago  Dec 4, 2017, 6:25 AM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1474

joberg said: View Post
    The client isn't always right I've been on both side of the "counter" and I've always treated my customer the way I wanted to be treated...but, if a customer is a real jerk, then I'll show him/her the door. My job description wasn't stating: "You'll take ridiculous abuse from people who have no idea what the word civil means"
    I'm glad I live in a place where the idea of "the customer is always right" doesn't exist. It can be a real culture shock when Americans come to visit, though!
  25. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 3:26 PM - Re: Celebrity jerks? #1475

{I've heard that Kevin Spacey isn't that nice. Has anyone else heard that?} Yeah, it depends if he thinks you're hot or not.

My friend said Jeff Gordon was a jerk to him, after a race he said nice race, Jeff, and Jeff mumbled in disagreement as he walked away. He hadn't won the race so he proly didn't want some kid sugar coating it. Dumb friend though, I wouldn't have said that.