Celebrity jerks?

Still reading everyone else's encounters, but I'll share a few of my own. The bad: Lou Ferrigno, no surprise based on what I've read here but a major prima donna. Anthony Daniels, a bit of a stiff, definitely gave off the impression that he thought he was above everyone else. The good: Temuera Morrison, Jeremy Bulloch and Ray Park. All were total class acts, real stand up guys who treated the fans well. The best: Seth Green. Some of which is my massive fangirling bias, but he was fantastic. Bumped into him at C-IV and it totally made my weekend. It was just a few words exchanged, a moment of his time for a photo, but he was friendly and funny and just awesome.

Matthew Broderick. The guy's a freaking midget and has the attitude you'd expect...

Nicest? R LEE ERMEY. Such a good guy, down to earth and totally appreciates his fans. I worked with him on a History Channel show a few years back, on camera. Great guy and funny as hell!
GunnyNLee.JPG

Met some great people, none were jerks luckily, though George Lucas was VERY shy, he was also very inconspicious and low key, but still polite. Irvin Kershner was extremely frail, Im sure if someone hadn`t pointed him in the direction of the photo to be autographed he wouldnt even have known it was there, lol, Mary Tamm (Romana from Doctor Who) was gorgeous, warm and took the time to be friendly, Tom Baker was mad as a box of frogs but cool as hell, and Lesley Philips was amazing.

BRUCE TIMM = utter D-bag, waited over 2 hours in line just to get his auto walked up to him asked him a few questions about the batman animated series and he didnt even look at me and just gave me vague replies , signed my stuff, and told me he didnt know what i was talking about. while no even looking at me. SMH

B.T. was pretty ok to me, he looked pretty bored sitting at a desk, somehow I caught him before new queues started.
I shook his hand and said it was great to finally meet him etc, we got to talking about a particular 'secret' [not really] animator's forum where many pros including him used to go to - he asked me me username [which is embarrassing, having to say 'huge ackman' out loud] after that it was just handing the cash over to get my own drawing, I asked for frankenstein's monster and for a second I thought I saw relief that it wasn't batman. I'm not much for social interaction [most of us pencil men aren't] so I didn't particularly pick his brain, afterward I gave him MY drawing of an undead guy and left before I could see him throw it in the bin or something.
another friend of mine went to dc's old animation studio with other animators, and he apparently was weird to her, I'd say it's more a case of a social problem.

also, Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner are wonderful people [I don't know if comic creator = celebrity, but still]
as I was walking away, happy with my con experience meeting Bruce Timm, seeing Nicola Scott on the other side of the table and meeting Jimmy and Amanda, I hear a "HEY YOU!" I look back and mr Palmiotti is holding a photocopied drawing I did that I gave to Nicola and giving me a big thumbs up*. felt like a pimp.

*this is AFTER I asked his gorgeous talented wife to come away with me and dump Jimmy! man's just so nice.

Last edited:
Meeting Tom Baker in 1978 when I was a kid was the happiest day of my entire childhood. Totally wonderful with kids. Met him again as an adult and he was still charming.

My Dad [who looks a lot like Baker, or maybe it's the other way around] met the man during his tour of australia, my Dad apparently forgot his camera and when he went back to get it found the signing table had been moved forward, so my Dad popped underneath the table and rummaged around the doctor's legs looking for it!

Last edited:
Earlier this year my wife and I went to a small sci-fi convention and met Chris Barrie, Robert Llewellyn and Danny John-Jules, and they were three of the nicest guys we have ever met. We had a very long wait in the autograph queue, and when we got there we had plenty of time to chat to them. The reason soon became apparent: the autograph table was set up so you went to Chris, then Robert, then Danny. Danny was talking to everyone, to the point that every so often he had to be prompted to let them go so everyone else could come through and get their autographs. They were great guys, obviously having a great time, and happy to chat with everyone. Probably one of the best celebrity encounters we've ever had.

On 2002 I went to a Doctor Who convention and everyone came out complaining about Anthony Ainley (played the Master in 80s Who) because he'd had a pop at the organisers for filming the guest panel without saying anything about it beforehand. Personally I think he had a point, but perhaps could have handled it better. Other than that he was a great guy. On the other hand the following year Tony Selby and Jasmine Breaks were doing a panel together. For the benefit of those not intimately familiar with the cast of Doctor Who or British celebrities in general, Selby played a character called Sabalom Glitz in a couple of late 80s stories and Breaks played a schoolgirl who was under Dalek control in Remembrance of the Daleks. Selby was obviously having a bad day, as he moaned non-stop for about twenty minutes about the state of current television. Poor old Jasmine couldn't get a word in, and then awkwardly had to answer the question of what she was doing for work at the time with 'I'm a TV producer!'

Best: Jonathan Frakes. Worked with him 3 times. An every day joe and hilarious.

Worst: Timothy Hutton. Prima donna to the MAX. Very difficult to work with. I've had bad dreams about those encounters with him.

Earlier this year my wife and I went to a small sci-fi convention and met Chris Barrie, Robert Llewellyn and Danny John-Jules, and they were three of the nicest guys we have ever met. We had a very long wait in the autograph queue, and when we got there we had plenty of time to chat to them. The reason soon became apparent: the autograph table was set up so you went to Chris, then Robert, then Danny. Danny was talking to everyone, to the point that every so often he had to be prompted to let them go so everyone else could come through and get their autographs. They were great guys, obviously having a great time, and happy to chat with everyone. Probably one of the best celebrity encounters we've ever had.

I'm so glad to hear that!!! I've always loved Red Dwarf and those guys looked like they were having a blast.

I don't think that JL interview makes her a jerk, but it is really funny! That hair cut she has, YOWZA! She needs to put on a TNG uniform :D ;)

I don't think that JL interview makes her a jerk, but it is really funny! That hair cut she has, YOWZA! She needs to put on a TNG uniform :D ;)

Hah, oh neither do I - sorry, should have said I thought it showed her sense of humor ;)

Here she is seeing her family after the Oscar win:

9hGbLHF.gif

Love her.

Jennifer Lawrence is beyond adorable. I would seriously love to hang out with her for a night, though my husband would likely worry about needing to have bail money on-hand! :angel

I remember a friend of mine in Ottawa, Canada, was a presenter for our local Italian channel (TeleTrenta). Not long after her husband's death (Frederico Fellini), his wife Giulietta Massima had done an interview for them and after my friend thanked her for doing so, she'd simply replied: "not at all, it is my duty"...classy:cool

I 2d the Linda Blair thing. Met her at ChillerCon a few times, and, considering she's famous for one film she did as a kid, you'd think she was Meryl Streep. Overcharges for autographs and no pix without paying so she can donate it some horse charity. I'm surprised her head doesn't spin around for real.

In the mid '90s, while I was living in Southern California, I had dinner with Linda Blair and a mutual friend, who worked for a publisher that was preparing a calendar of celebrities and their pets. Linda was involved with this project and became close friends with my friend. Even though we were seated at the back of the restaurant with Linda's back turned away from the entrance, she was repeatedly bombarded with requests from others at the restaurant for photos and autographs. She willingly signed autographs, but turned down requests for photos. Most people were gracious, but one guy, upset that she wouldn't take a picture with him, told her that she was "washed up" and that she looked "terrible". She took it all in stride, and when I asked her how she could be so calm when a total stranger starts insulting her, she told me that incidents like that rarely happen, and 99% of the people who approach her are polite. She told me that the only time she allows pictures is at sci-fi conventions and comic book shows, where she charges a fee. She said that all of money she makes from these shows goes to her animal rescue charity.

The next time I saw Linda was 17 years later, at last summer's Wizard World Chicago Comic Con during a lengthy layover at O'Hare Airport on my way back to New York. I waited on a small line and when I got to her table, one of her aids told me that I had to purchase a photo to get Linda's autograph. I told the aid that I knew Linda and just wanted to say hello. The aid told me that I had to make a donation to her animal rescue charity to even speak with Linda. I yelled over to Linda to get her attention, at which time the aid became belligerent and called for security. I was able to catch Linda's attention and asked her if she had seen Carmen (our mutual friend) recently, she then remembered who I was. She told her aid that she did in fact know me and the aid quickly changed his nasty attitude. She apologized for the actions of her aid, but explained that many people claim that they know her when they don't. Linda invited me to hang around for a while, but I told her that I had to get back to the airport to catch my flight home.

I think that she is indifferent to her fans is because she really doesn't like signing autographs and posing for pictures. She looks at it as a chore to raise money for her animal rescue charity.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back