Celebrity jerks?

It just makes it 10x worse that he actually took his wallet, fingered through it to find money that he would be taking, and then handed it back when there wasn't enough for his "fee". Tacky on so many levels. That would be like giving a homeless person $10 and asking for $9 back.

It's an old topic, but I'll add one here I will never forget... I was at a (local) convention in Portland, OR and one of the 'celebrities' who were signing was Herbert Jefferson Jr. (Boomer from Classic BSG) and there was a severely handicapped young man who really wanted his autograph, but he was charging $20 for it (okay, that part is fine... but it gets worse)....

The Handicapped person was in a full on mobil transport where he had to be more or less leaned back in, so it was more than a wheel chair, but with much effort, he was able to get his wallet out to get some money... he only had about $12...

Instead of Jefferson being a decent man and taking the $12 for the guy who obviously was a big fan (of his character at least), and giving the young man an autograph and making him happy, he decided to 'help' the young man by taking his wallet and looking through it for additional money... after a failed attempt, he told the young man "sorry, you don't have enough' and instructed him to find more....

Had he done "the right thing" and given the autograph, hell, I would have offered up the $8 to pay him, but after seeing that display first hand, not only did I instantly dislike him, but refused to have him sign a photo for me....

That, my friends, is a first class jerk...

Calling this guy a jerk is an insult to other jerks and far too kind. Scumbag is appropriate, although this behavior is so attrocious it might be an insult to other scumbags as well. This is as loatheome as it gets. Unbelievable.

Not to revive an old thread... But just got back from ChillerTheater...

Apparently someone from the Soprano's walked right by me. no idea who it was.
10502143676_2f7b67f2bd_z.jpg

weird Al was an interesting bag. The lady before him was trying to describe one of her first concert events she ever attended of his. She couldn't remember all the details, or any details....And Al was treating it like "Yeah, I get this all the time" He didn't really blow her off, but he didn't really try to remember anything either, like he was actively engaging. I saw that, and decided to keep conversation down to a minimum.

Steve Guttenburg seemed like a real nice guy.
10502347003_38e2233a81_c.jpg

He was obviously keeping up on the Short circuit remake, but sadly he didn't know any more about it than the rest of us. About the only real weird thing about steve is he had the handshake that you would expect from a blonde woman like paris hilton. I went in for a firm, and it was anything but ;o).
But he was definitely the most talkative and seemingly happy to be there of the bunch.

10502152644_a1e1983342_c.jpg

The next one was the very personable Marina Sirtis. I wasn't sure what to expect, since I've heard she can be rather abrupt and to the point. (telling people to shut camera's off and the like). But, couldn't be lovelier. That's as big as my smile gets as I got pulled in close for a photo :eek:)...
Sadly, once again with the equally stunning Terry Farrel right beside her, I ran out of money and couldn't get her once again. Oh well, one of these days ;o)..

weird Al was an interesting bag. The lady before him was trying to describe one of her first concert events she ever attended of his. She couldn't remember all the details, or any details....And Al was treating it like "Yeah, I get this all the time" He didn't really blow her off, but he didn't really try to remember anything either, like he was actively engaging. I saw that, and decided to keep conversation down to a minimum.
That makes sense, though, really. There's nothing to differentiate one concert from another from the performer's perspective... the stage is the same, the song list is the same, I imagine they start to blur together after the second or third show, much less on a full tour. He would have been very hard pressed to remember anything specific about one single concert.

I have met Al, actually, and he was very personable, especially considering it was just out in the wild (so to speak, he was at ComicCon, but as a guest himself, not a celebrity), and not doing sit-down autographs or anything. I was wearing a Jedi costume at the time, and he commented on it, saying he had one just like it for the "Saga Begins" video. The poor guy was being swarmed, though, I didn't want to bother him by going on and on about stuff. I shook his hand, got a picture, and that was that. Oddly, I spent more time talking to his wife than him, she was just sort of standing off to the side while her husband was stuck in the middle of this mass of humanity. She's much shorter than he is.. hehe. Al's taller than you'd expect, he has a habit of hunching down slightly for photos (he's even doing it a little in your picture). My friend that was with us is 6'8", and actually taller than Al, which I think sort of threw him for a loop.

OL. Please remember that the 'celebrities' are persons as well as people. They vary in their moods as well as they can considering how they are treated by their handlers and their fans. It gets very tiring. Older actors are resentful to younger ones, in many cases, because of the differences in residuals. The older ones either get paid a lot less or none at all. The prices charged are often used to supplement income. Original residual agreements for television shows never anticipated the number of repeat broadcasts that some well-loved television series would eventually see in syndication. As a result, the residual payments were generally limited to about six broadcasts. This was changed in the mid-1970s, when contracts for new television shows extended residual payments without limit on the number of repeats. Under the current system, the television production company retains 80% of the fees earned from reruns. The other 20% is paid to the various performers and off-camera crew. The older actor didn't make thousands per week as the younger actors do.

I met John Rhys-Davies (Sallah, Gimli) here in Denmark at a small con. He was super nice! And didn't mind us having our picture taken with him even though there was a paid photo session later. He tickled me when we took the pic so I have this great goofy grin on my face.
He even asked my wife to have her photo taken with him too (her cosplaying Lara Croft may've had something to do with it lol).
He's reminded me so much of my late grandfather. Big presence. Like a gentle old bear.

I met John Rhys-Davies (Sallah, Gimli) here in Denmark at a small con. He was super nice! And didn't mind us having our picture taken with him even though there was a paid photo session later. He tickled me when we took the pic so I have this great goofy grin on my face.
He even asked my wife to have her photo taken with him too (her cosplaying Lara Croft may've had something to do with it lol).
He's reminded me so much of my late grandfather. Big presence. Like a gentle old bear.

That man is the salt of the Earth. :thumbsup

I posted in a different thread but I recently met Dean Norris aka Hank from Breaking Bad while tailgating. Super nice guy who seems to love Breaking Bad fans. I slipped up and called him Hank but I'm sure he gets that a lot.

image.jpg

Back from Chiller, and had a really excellent time.

Got to meet 4 our of Monsters from Monster Squad which made me so extremely happy. Tom Noonan was really fun and for the picture just started choking me haha, I didn't ask for it, but he went full Frankenstein on me

625568_10103151609326529_1674634087_n.jpg

Got to meet Steve Guttenberg who is a really really nice guy to talk to. I gave Steve 1 of my Johnny 5 prints and he was pretty happy I made it and thought to give him one. we chatted and he didn't charge me for a picture or an autograph at all, so cool!

1391734_10103156600603969_1816674113_n.jpg

Finally met 1 of my childhood crushes, Marina Sirtis, and told her so lol. Funny enough she asked who the girl next to me was, and after i said she was my gf, she started shouting "Whats the matter with you, you don't say that to a woman next to your gf...you do it privately" lolol she was a really good sport. she came out of her table to talk to us some more and kept telling my gf how hot she was and complimented her body parts hahaaha. as we left, she gave me a hug and very nicely felt up my arms. I was in heaven lol.

1383585_10103151599496229_694523105_n.jpg

So while getting some tires at a tireplace in the nicer part of LA(Topanga Canyon). I saw former UFC Super star Chuck Lidell. I went up to him as I was leaving after just dropping off a car for them to put some new tires on it. Asked him for a autograph, which he was nice enough to sign. Tried to make some small talk with him about one his fights a few years ago with Tito Ortiz. He did not seem all that interested. I am sure maybe he just did not want to be bothered while just getting some work done on 1 of his cars or something, or was having a not so good day. Either way Do not get me wrong I am not saying this guy is a jerk, but he did not seem that interested in talking with fan. Oh well at least I got a autograph!

Last edited:
I attend a fair number of autograph shows and have "met"* a good many celebs as a result and to agree with the notion that they have good days and bad: There are folks I've met several times who were pleasant the first time, not so the next or vice versa. And there can be a gazillion factors: Did they just arrive and aren't quite ready or is it the end of the day and they're aching to leave? Did you just ask a question they've heard for the hundredth time that day or something fresh? Were they promised a nice lunch at Noon but barely managed a stale vending machine sandwich at Two? Also, shows (which form the bulk of my meetings) I think are quite different from meeting people informally.

Some celebs that stick out in my memory as especially pleasant:
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Morgan Freeman
Talisa Soto
Linda Evans
Gary Conway
June Lockhart
Angie Dikinson
Gordon Thomson
Billy Mumy

And some that don't:
George Lazenby (famously difficult)
Mark Goddard
Toni Basil
Pamela Sue Martin
Britt Eklund

BTW, not a jerk but Michael Madsen is a certifiable nut job.

Also, there are a few folks that, owing to dementia or whatever, are heartbreaking to see at shows. I hope it's not that they need the money but it's tragic standing there as their handler helps them to spell their own name.

*I think it's a stretch to say you "meet" these people at shows: If they're signing something and not personalizing it, you often don't even exchange names; the interaction is often minimal at best.

Last edited:
Have to throw-in my two funniest/strangest celebrity encounters:

En route to pick-up friends at the airport, I got lost in Burbank. Stop at a gas station and ask a guy (who I assume is an attendant 'cuz he's in dungarees and pumping gas into a Jag) for directions. While he's talking I'm aware he's wearing make-up and pronouncing "Boohr-bank" in the oddest way. It was Walter Koenig. This would have been circa ST5.

I'm at an autograph show in the UK and Caroline Munro asks if I would like a pic with her. We're posing and someone with a camera tells us to stand closer together. She whispers to me "is that your friend" and I whisper to her "no, I thought he was with you" and we both burst out laughing. No idea why a complete stranger wanted our pic.

Have to throw-in my two funniest/strangest celebrity encounters:

En route to pick-up friends at the airport, I got lost in Burbank. Stop at a gas station and ask a guy (who I assume is an attendant 'cuz he's in dungarees and pumping gas into a Jag) for directions. While he's talking I'm aware he's wearing make-up and pronouncing "Boohr-bank" in the oddest way. It was Walter Koenig. This would have been circa ST5.

I'm at an autograph show in the UK and Caroline Munro asks if I would like a pic with her. We're posing and someone with a camera tells us to stand closer together. She whispers to me "is that your friend" and I whisper to her "no, I thought he was with you" and we both burst out laughing. No idea why a complete stranger wanted our pic.

:lol

Those are great! What did you say when you figured out you were talking to Chekov? Or did you realize afterwards?

:lol

Those are great! What did you say when you figured out you were talking to Chekov? Or did you realize afterwards?

As I suggested, I sort of realized toward the end who he was and frankly the more important thing at that moment was getting directions. When I met up with my friends later and recounted the story I said I felt a little awkward because I hadn't acknowledged recognizing him but, then, I'm not a huge Trek fan and I'm not really sure what I could have said other than "really enjoy your work." There's a level at which I've always felt it better that I left it as what it was and not turned it into a celebrity encounter.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back