Celebrity jerks?

I collect in-person autographs. I am always polite and courteous.

The best: Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Joyce deWitt, Marc Singer (the guy is a gentleman and a class act), Robert Downey Jr.

The absolute worst: Ryan Reynolds, who actually slammed my marker to the ground and brushed past me after I made the cardinal sin of trying to take his picture while he was signing.

Not so nice, but he still signed: Edward Norton - the man hates his fans.

Not another one of these.

I'm sure everyone of you is polite and congenial to everyone you meet everyday in every circumstance of life.

Can't you folks let these folks have a bad day and not ***** about it like a bunch of old ladies.

Can't you just let a thread be without whining about it in a condescending tone?
:lol

OK, I C0-Ran a Big Star Trek Club in Portland in the early 90s. We did a lot of volunteer Security for the guests, We'd present them with a plaque (One of our members owned a plaque company, these were NICE) making them honorary members, and the good ones kept the plaque, the not so good dumped them, as one of our members would clean the room after they left. The breakdown from what I remember...

Michael Dorn, Boring, Arrogant, gave more of a crap talking about flying than Trek. Left the plaque.
Nana Visitor, Sweet Lady, Kept the plaque.
Marina Sirtis, a bit aloof, Left the plaque
Brent Spiner, Funny, Friendly, Took the plaque
Jonathan Frakes, Warm, Friendly, took the plaque
Gates McFadden, Really a nice friendly sit and chat with you lady. Kept the plaque
Armin Shimmerman, BEST EVER!!! Not only friendly and down to earth, he showed off the plaque.

George Takei, Wasn't a plaque deal, BUT at that time, Creation had a nasty habit of suddenly booking on top of a fan-run Convention. Well they did that to a friend of ours, booking literally down the street from his Con, on a very off weekend, and GT was their guest.

Well, we had asked if we could make a deal, Creation Con goers could go to our con free, if they'd let our people in. They said **** off. Well, GT was outside getting some air, and we approached him and told him of what Creation had been doing, about our con, and our offer to Informally merge them. He said "That sounds like a good idea" Well Mr. Creationcon Weasel told him "We can't do that" GT said "How about if you don't have a guest of Honor?"

Well...after a hasty Phone call, the cons merged, we had the hot vampire chicks and alcohol, both dealers rooms made out like bandit, and everybody had a blast.

Worst ever, Mark Lenard. Condescending, aloof, found the plaque in the trash with remnants of a sloppy cheeseburger on top of it.

The Shat...Didn't even let us get near the stage to present (but our presenting member was a total dweeb for that one, I think The Shat saw his Gold Lamee uniform (I kid you not) and told him to sit down. I really don't blame him on that one.

Keep in mind this is watching them over the course of a weekend, not just a chance encounter, take it for what you will.

Lol, I meant this thread merely as a place to share stories of encounters. Celebrities are people too, and They have off days like anyone else. I don't hold it against them whatsoever. If anything, if he/she is out just trying to eat and has several people crowding the table for pictures and autographs, I can definately understand if he/she tells them to take a hike. Then you have the ones who are rude no matter what. I just want to get an idea of what I'd be in store for should I ever met said person.

Last edited:
my best experience was John Hurt. He came into where I have lunch for 3 days straight. sat drinking red wine taking in the sights. I got to chatting with him and talked stage, screen, and Alien war. there were 3 guys one day sitting across the bar, talking about all of there stage work, and I saw John smirk. They had no clue a Shakespherian actor was sitting across from them.

Drew Barrymore and her then boyfriend were great too. I was so close talking her into a tongue piercing. Shame cas I see she now has one.

my worst experience was Sly stallone. Didn't meet him, but they were renting some things from our tattoo shop, and he made the prop department call us, and ask if he can use it all for free, if we get to meet him. Uh, NO! lol

Two of my coolest encounters..

I used to manage a video rental store on Maui after I got out of the Army. Shoot video by day, work there at night.

LOTS of celebs used to come in, but one evening this dude comes in and starts scouring the videos. He has a baseball cap on, and I instantly recognized him as Ron Howard. He was looking for Willow. When he found it, he came to the counter and asked if he could buy the rental. Of course he could, so after I sold it too him, he hung out with me for over an hour talking about movies. He had just finished Backdraft and was about to go to Ireland to start Far and Away. One of the nicest guys. During the rest of his vacation, he would stop in and say hello to me.

One day I was in our local guitar store (Bounty Music) talking to a friend who worked behind the counter. It was a weekday so no one was there. As I turned to leave, I wasn't watching where I was going and literally ran into George Harrison. I stepped back extremely embarrassed to apologize and realized it was him.

He came to look at the Ukuleles. This was about a year before he passed, so he was looking pretty bad. Anyway, the three of us talked story for almost an hour. What a great guy.

I'm sure everyone of you is polite and congenial to everyone you meet everyday in every circumstance of life.

Can't you folks let these folks have a bad day and not ***** about it like a bunch of old ladies.

+1

At the same time though, I've had mostly good experiences.

Met Travis Barker of Blink 182 (and how many other side jobs now) fame a couple of times, pretty soft spoken.

I've also met The Plain White T's....before they got big with that song Delilah or whatever it was called. Raced down telegraph Ave late at night on a pizza run.

Both Mick Jones and Paul Simonon from The Clash are super nice guys. Was lucky enough to hang out backstage at the Troubador when Mick came over with his new band Carbon/Silicon (with Tony James too).

I got line hopped by MC Hammer and his flat topped posse in the early nineties at Disney world. I was a kid at the time, but I remember as they passed in their gold parachute pants the crowd of people's emotions went from "wow look it's MC Hammer!" to " That _____ is cutting in line!" He recently played the state fair here, I bet he doesn't have that line jumping privilege anymore.

Met Travis Barker of Blink 182 (and how many other side jobs now) fame a couple of times, pretty soft spoken.
Yea, Travis has always been like that, at least now he speaks.

Back in the day if he had his drumsticks and some 7-11 nachos, he had no need for conversation.

After he quite The Aquabats and Blink started taking off, he gained a little more confidence and started opening up a little more.

I can see how if a fan came up to him, they could perceive him as being an disinterested jerk, when in fact he's basically a quite introvert, but a nice guy in reality...just real quite.

Keith Flint, dancefloor botherer with 'electronic punks' the Prodigy. Complete to$$er. He wasnt having an off day, he's like it every day.

Tom Wilson - complete a-hole and he hates BTTF

Funny, he was really nice when I met him. You can tell he does have a bit of a hang up about BTTF but he didn't seem rude to me.

HANDS DOWN the best celeb I've met is Tom Cruise. Stunningly he was very down to earth and a great guy despite his celebrity.

Funny, he was really nice when I met him. You can tell he does have a bit of a hang up about BTTF but he didn't seem rude to me.

HANDS DOWN the best celeb I've met is Tom Cruise. Stunningly he was very down to earth and a great guy despite his celebrity.

Everyone's a lot nicer once they've purged themselves of their Thetans. :rolleyes

It's funny, I've heard the exact opposite about Cruise, that he's one of those "holier than thou" celebrities that doesn't like mingling with the little people. Then again, that might be "old" Tom Cruise, and maybe he's a nicer guy post-crazy.

The stories of Ron Howard are definitely consistent, though. I knew a guy who worked on EdTV, and Ron would come into the lunchroom every day and sit with different people each time. Didn't matter if they were actors or part of the gopher crew, he just liked chatting with people. And that it didn't matter what you were doing on the film.. everyone was part of the same team.

Harlan Ellison may be a great writer, but when I asked him for an autograph a number of years ago, his reply suggested he lacked a basic understanding of anatomy.

On the other hand, at one Dragon*Con I watched a woman dressed as Ellen Tigh approach Kate Vernon, who played the character. Vernon asked to get *her* picture.

And while they're not celebrities, last year when the members of the 501st marching in the D*C parade noticed a little boy on the side of the street wearing a Halloween-style Clonetrooper costume, just about every 501st member on that side of Peachtree made a point of going over and either shaking hands or saluting him. I know it made his day.

Shared a drink with Ric Flair.

Dude was super nice, but good lord, talk about living your life "in character"! All the bit of a limosuine ridin, jet-flyin, kiss-stealin sonuvagun.

I've also met Peter Mayhew (real laid back nice guy), Ricky Steamboat (CLASS ACT), Brady Quinn (total dick).

I have had very little interaction with celebrities, but of the ones I have met, most were nice.

Hillary Swank - was nice, polite, but seemed a little stuck up. I forgave her when she her hand grazed my ass after we took a picture together.

Michael Ironside - what a super nice guy. We chatted briefly, just some small talk, but he was incredibly nice

Mr. T. - saw him coincidentally at a local comic shop where he was signing autographs. I remember walking in and he was just all smiles and friendly.

I've seen a lot of basketball players but never interacted with them; Kevin McHale, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge. I also saw Natalie Portman at a bar with friends when she was going to Harvard.

The good ones:
Lee Majors- very nice guy and great to work with, always took time to give pointers to the extras on the show despite the Director telling all of us lowley extras not to interact with the "TALENT" in-between shoots.

Al "Grandpa" Lewis from the munsters, he was a funny as hell! met him at the county fair back in the day...he even bought my cousin and myself a beer(I was slightly underage at the time...lol)

Grace Lee Whitley Janice Rand from Star Trek,SWEET lady.

Yvonne Craig aka Batgirl one of the sweetest women you could ever hope to chat with.

The Bad one:
I have only one bad experiance and that was with Burt Ward AKA Robin from the 60's Batman. The guy is arrogent and still thinks of himself as an "A" lister when he is in fact a "Z" lister

I don't make a thousandth of what many of these people mentioned make but when someone wants to talk to me I am polite and talk with them. I am also no celebrity, but my customers recognise me nearly every day because of where I work and what I do. I even have customers call me at home. They are the reason I have a job, I can be decent to them.
For the celebs that hate fans, go back to waiting tables.(Most of these posts are about positive experieinces, and I believe most celebs realise they would be hanging dry wall or scrubbing floors if it were not for all those people that want to see them)

I shot hoops with Magic Johnson on Maui back in the early 90's.

A buddy and I were playing at our civic center and he and his friends came in. It was right after he went public about his AIDS.

He asked if they could join us and of course we said yes. He shot with us for about 15 minutes before he asked if he could have some court for some privacy. Very nice guy.

He's either cured, or he is Superman.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back