Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios

JayPHX

If I had a Delorean this is the first place I'd go! I took these on a trip to MGM back in 1991. Sorry about the picture quality, I was only 10 and I promise you the camera I was using was worth less than the film in it. There was a museum set up totally separate from the backlot tour in what I think is now a restaurant.

IMG_0003.jpg

Notice the "comic" version of the rocket on the upper left as well as another concept version beneath it. In the lower middle is the rocket case that the vacuum was switched into in the hangar. I remeber that at least on of these packs was made of foam.

IMG_0005b.jpg

2 of the puppets facing the other way are Lucky Lindy and Malcom. In the background you can see 2 of the Autogyros as well as the giant Spruce Goose. (and 2 pansies in rain ponchos)

IMG_0005.jpg

I know it's blurry but on the ground is the rig they attached to a helicopter to film the Gee Bee pilot scenes.

IMG_0009.jpg

It makes me sad seeing these two old friends knowing what would eventually happen to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Jay! Welcome and nice pics! Thanks for sharing them! I've seen some other pics of that display room from when they were promoting the movie. It was stunning. Pretty much any significant item from the movie was there.

They had a display case with 5 helmets in it including a couple of stunt helmets, a hero helmet and a prototype helmet that I have now. I'd like to take a trip in a time machine to visit that as well...

I'm curious what happened to some of the stuff. I know the full size GeeBee mockup sat out in the weather rotting. If it even still exists now, it's probably in some trash heap.

A lot of items were auctioned by Disney 10 years ago. I know a couple of the rocketpacks were sold and I know they've still got the full-size Lucky Lindy used in the movie along with a few other items visible in that MGM backlot tour. And of course, none of the stuff they kept was taken care of... :(

The "museum" you mention was in the brick building across from the Muppetvision 3D theater and is now Buzz Lightyear's Pizza Planet.

I remember seeing two different displays in that building in the early 90's. The first was one of the first times I recall seeing original film props. There were items from Indiana Jones, Star Wars, ROTJ, Rocketeer and others... I only wish I had a digital camera back then!

The second time I remember being less impressed (as there was a giant sneaker as you walked in, from Honey I Blew Up the Baby which had recently shot scenes at the studios) but no doubt there was some very cool stuff then too.

I keep hoping someone went to these exhibits and photographed the heck out of them... if anyone's got pics, please post them up!

Tom

Very cool pics, it's a shame most of this stuff has been kept the way it has. :sick Still nice to see it the way it was. :thumbsup

Hi, Jay! Welcome and nice pics! Thanks for sharing them! I've seen some other pics of that display room from when they were promoting the movie. It was stunning. Pretty much any significant item from the movie was there.

They had a display case with 5 helmets in it including a couple of stunt helmets, a hero helmet and a prototype helmet that I have now. I'd like to take a trip in a time machine to visit that as well...

I'm curious what happened to some of the stuff. I know the full size GeeBee mockup sat out in the weather rotting. If it even still exists now, it's probably in some trash heap.

A lot of items were auctioned by Disney 10 years ago. I know a couple of the rocketpacks were sold and I know they've still got the full-size Lucky Lindy used in the movie along with a few other items visible in that MGM backlot tour. And of course, none of the stuff they kept was taken care of... :(
No problem! I couldn't believe it when I was digging through a box and found these. I actually hope Disney sold most of this stuff at the auction because like you said, the stuff they held on to has been seriously neglected. Such as the full size Gee Bee and Autogyro seen below.

IMG_0948 by Hidden Peanuts, on Flickr

Luckliy, the Gee Bee used in the movie that could actually fly was sold or donated to a museum and can now be seen in Seattle at the Museum of Flight, still in perfect condition.
Granville Brothers Gee Bee Z "City of Springfield" | The Museum of Flight

The "museum" you mention was in the brick building across from the Muppetvision 3D theater and is now Buzz Lightyear's Pizza Planet.

I remember seeing two different displays in that building in the early 90's. The first was one of the first times I recall seeing original film props. There were items from Indiana Jones, Star Wars, ROTJ, Rocketeer and others... I only wish I had a digital camera back then!

The second time I remember being less impressed (as there was a giant sneaker as you walked in, from Honey I Blew Up the Baby which had recently shot scenes at the studios) but no doubt there was some very cool stuff then too.

I keep hoping someone went to these exhibits and photographed the heck out of them... if anyone's got pics, please post them up!

Tom

I remeber the "Honey I blew up the Baby" stuff! Actually, if you look in the background of the pics you can see a giant set of suspenders that I think are from that movie.

Evil Rocketeer probably has leads on those items. I really like the looks of that prototype.

I know for certain at least one of the prototype rocketpacks is in a particular private collection. I'd have to double check but I think they are both actually in the same collection. I've got what's left of the original prototype helmet which isn't seen in those pics (it's just the body of the helmet now - the fin and eye lenses are missing.)

I believe the helmet seen in that one display case might be a particular stunt helmet that is in another private collection. At least one of those scale figures is in a private collection as well.

Some of the items were auctioned but some items are unaccounted for as far as I'm aware so far. ER and I tend to stay in touch and I know of a few other private collectors that have some significant items, some of which are from those displays.

I have no idea what happened to the scale autogyro, the Spruce Goose or the zeppelin unfortunately. Many of the smaller items probably got trashed in the warehouse where lots of stuff was stored for two decades. Nothing that went into the warehouse came back out in one piece judging by the pictures I've seen - including the prototype helmet, the two prototype rocketpacks I know of or, of course, the full size GeeBee mockup...

I know of a couple of items apparently still on the backlot tour in the prop warehouse. That's where the full scale Lucky Lindy statue is (damaged of course) and a few other lesser items.

I'll see if I can dig up a few tidbits to share regarding this...

Just found this on Flickr

Rocketeer 1 by Hydra5, on Flickr

It looks like an evil version the bad guys would wear.

It's a beauty, isn't it? I think I'd be willing to sell a non-vital organ to get my hands on both of those prototype rocketpacks... I'll also dig up some photos of the prototype helmet again. I've posted them in the past but I think only the hardcore Rocketeer fans really even care so I don't post them often :lol

And lemme just say it's really nice to see some new Rocketeer threads again. Seems with the influx of new members we've been getting some decent threads going at least every few weeks :p

And lemme just say it's really nice to see some new Rocketeer threads again. Seems with the influx of new members we've been getting some decent threads going at least every few weeks :p

And let me just say it's nice to hear someone other than myself talk about the Rocketeer for once.

I'd be interested in any pictures you've willing to share. I've been digging through the old posts but a lot of the links are now dead. I don't remeber every seeing a prototype helmet.
Thanks!

I doubt the scale down autogyro still exist..I was able to get into contact with the person that made the scale geebee, autogyro, zepplin, etc etc...he didnt have them, and disney had them..most likely they ended up in the garbage or walked off set...I know there were several crew members that took momentos...It could be in some-one's garage or thrown out over the 20 years...And like dualedge said, disney had a big giant lawn sale and sold off a lot of rocketeer items through ebay etc etc...

Also, some items could have possibly be used in other films and their origin was left unknown or undocumented properly.

I know dualedge and I go gagaga for this stuff, so we keep in contact as much as we can (I been soo darn busy lately that I been lousy with it)

I think disney still owns that particular helmet in the display. I believe it is the same helmet used at Peevys Lemonade stand....

44ad8d93.jpg

3f851266.jpg

91033da3.jpg

And let me just say it's nice to hear someone other than myself talk about the Rocketeer for once.

I'd be interested in any pictures you've willing to share. I've been digging through the old posts but a lot of the links are now dead. I don't remeber every seeing a prototype helmet.
Thanks!

Yeah, the prototype helmet is even less well known about even moreso than the prototype rocketpacks. It looks sort of like the Rocketeer's hillbilly cousin. I've been wanting to do a little restoration work on it but as with all of my "projects", I never seem to find the time to get anything done.

I'll get some pics from my computer at home tonight and write up some info about it.

Wow! Thanks for the great pictures. Although it's a bummer to see the "lemonade stand" helmet has clearly been squashed and the helmet in the warehouse has the side torn off. Still, I count 6 rocket packs in these pictures alone - all things considered I'm surprised they still have so many.

I am surprised the rocketpack hold up pretty well at the lemonade stand..You figure that hott and humid weather got to the helmet pretty easy the past couple years, but the pack looks to be in good shape...

I think the helmet in the wharehouse is a part of the ripaway helmets

I doubt the scale down autogyro still exist..I was able to get into contact with the person that made the scale geebee, autogyro, zepplin, etc etc...he didnt have them, and disney had them..most likely they ended up in the garbage or walked off set...I know there were several crew members that took momentos...It could be in some-one's garage or thrown out over the 20 years...And like dualedge said, disney had a big giant lawn sale and sold off a lot of rocketeer items through ebay etc etc...

Also, some items could have possibly be used in other films and their origin was left unknown or undocumented properly.

I know dualedge and I go gagaga for this stuff, so we keep in contact as much as we can (I been soo darn busy lately that I been lousy with it)

I think disney still owns that particular helmet in the display. I believe it is the same helmet used at Peevys Lemonade stand....

44ad8d93.jpg

3f851266.jpg

91033da3.jpg

Man, just looking at those pics makes me feel like I'm right back there again. I guess the sad thing is that the last time I was there (last december) I recall I was tall enough and easily capable of grabbing some of the rocketeer gear, after a brief climb of course :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back