Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Brookline NH
    Oct 17, 2010, 11:00 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #51

They also used Rocketeer jet packs for the Sci-fi drive-in restaurant. They were modified as wall lights. I'm sure they were shells since there were so many of them.
    Oct 17, 2010, 2:19 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #52

dualedge said: View Post
    It's been a long time since I was at Disney World. I did go to Planet Hollywood and they had a Rocketeer costume on a mannequin hanging from the ceiling... You had to go to the second floor to even see it and even then it was too high to see much detail. It was certainly too high to get any kind of decent pictures with the camera I had at the time. I don't remember if I even got any of it at all. I remember it had the wrong kind of gloves on but not much beyond that off the top of my head.
    It's a bird...It's a plane....It's the Rocketeer!

Robot Monster said: View Post
    They also used Rocketeer jet packs for the Sci-fi drive-in restaurant. They were modified as wall lights. I'm sure they were shells since there were so many of them.

Do you remember the name of the restaurant or do you know if it is still there?
  3. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 17, 2010, 4:27 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #53

EvilRocketeer said: View Post

yea it's just rhe sci-fi drive in resturant. It's like you sit at a table that looks like a car and it's set up like a drive in theater. Definatly still there
    Oct 17, 2010, 5:31 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #54

With arms growing out the middle of his body....
    From
    Atlanta
    Oct 17, 2010, 8:32 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #55

Yeah, I've always wondered if the gloves on that might have been from the "Laughing Bandit" scenes... If they were marked as "Rocketeer", non-fans would just assume they were a part of the Rocketeer costume as opposed to some other costume used in the movie after all.
    From
    Atlanta
    Oct 17, 2010, 11:36 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #56

I don't believe I've shared this before and since it's applicable... This is/was my personal recreation of the helmet display in the big Rocketeer display from MGM. Left to right is the prototype, original stunt and the screen-used hero I had the pleasure of owning for about five years. I've still got the prototype and the fins though. Wish I had a better pic of the original display but this is the best I've seen.

I missed out on two of the fin auctions but nabbed one when it popped back up. The one missing went to Japan I think... The prototype and I believe the stunt were also part of the original display.

Oct 18, 2010, 1:16 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #57

tubachris85x said: View Post
    yea it's just rhe sci-fi drive in resturant. It's like you sit at a table that looks like a car and it's set up like a drive in theater. Definatly still there
    well, if you are close by or around the area. can you check to see if the "rocketpack lights" are still there and get a couple of pictures?

Also, can you get updated pictures of Peevys Lemonade Stand. I saw a picture that was taken a few years ago that had the buckle still on the pack. I saw a recent one with a person standing next to it and it looks like Disney removed the harness buckles from the pack.

Rob, great pictures. That is the first time i saw all three of those helmets together..I would love to get that stunt helmet for my collection..
    Oct 18, 2010, 1:46 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #58

Very cool pics, thanks for posting them.
  9. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 18, 2010, 1:47 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #59

well, if you are close by or around the area. can you check to see if the "rocketpack lights" are still there and get a couple of pictures?

Also, can you get updated pictures of Peevys Lemonade Stand. I saw a picture that was taken a few years ago that had the buckle still on the pack. I saw a recent one with a person standing next to it and it looks like Disney removed the harness buckles from the pack.

Rob, great pictures. That is the first time i saw all three of those helmets together..I would love to get that stunt helmet for my collection..
    If I can get there again, but it might not be for quite some time. I could ask my bro if he has any pics, as he and his ex ate at that resturant last winter.

As for Peevy's Lemonade stand, I don't think it exists anymore. If you can post a pic of it I might be able to recognize it, but I've never seen that before.
  10. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 18, 2010, 2:02 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #60

Well I can't find any that my bro took, but I just did a quick google search. Here's a link to a guy's blog and he did almost a walk through of the resturant, to which I don't see any rocketpack "lights."

http://www.brianorndorf.com/2010/04/...d-studios.html
    Oct 18, 2010, 2:36 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #61

As for Peevy's Lemonade stand, I don't think it exists anymore. If you can post a pic of it I might be able to recognize it, but I've never seen that before.
    The last picture is most recent I believe because the buckle is no longer there..edit the guys face out since I dont know who he is

12. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 18, 2010, 2:59 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #62

Weird, it looks familiar but it dosnt at the same time. I can't tell you if its there or not anymore. Then again, do you guys have a hollywood studios/MGM park over in cali?
    Oct 18, 2010, 3:14 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #63

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have old disneyland that needs an upgrade and california adventure...and that is about it. You would think since hollywood is so close by and all those props can be easily be taken to disneyland to have a small museum or some type of prop display case. Also, california adventure has soo much potential to have a rocketeer theme where the aviator theme section is located, but nope nada

I think the Peevy's Lemonade stand is still there. The last picture I posted supposedly was taken of june of this year.
  14. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 18, 2010, 3:47 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #64

lol well that sucks man. Next time I can go, I'll definatly get pics and check out everything, but it won't be until probably around summer time, which will be the next SWW's
  15. RPF Premium Member Prop Archives's Avatar
    Oct 18, 2010, 8:55 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #65

I want what he's having... lol. But seriously great pics guys thanks for posting

-Aaron
    Oct 18, 2010, 11:54 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #66

I assume the main reason there is so much Rocketeer stuff at Disneyworld is it was initially moved there for the display and is still floating around after all these years.

Here's another pic I had from the backlot tour in 1995. Kind of a strange pose - probably a department store mannequin.

Last edited by JayPHX; Oct 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Info
    Oct 18, 2010, 4:04 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #67

lol well that sucks man. Next time I can go, I'll definatly get pics and check out everything, but it won't be until probably around summer time, which will be the next SWW's
    Awesome..Thanks! There are other props at the peevy lemondade stand as well. There is Peevy's rocketpack sketch and a Bigelow's air circus flag

JayPHX said: View Post
    I assume the main reason there is so much Rocketeer stuff at Disneyworld is it was initially moved there for the display and is still floating around after all these years.

Here's another pic I had from the backlot tour in 1995. Kind of a strange pose - probably a department store mannequin.
    Thanks for posting that picture. I never seen it before. I figure with Disneyland in Anaheim being so close to the filming locations and since Dave stevens lived near orange county or in orange county during that time. It would make more sense to have it at Disneyland...
    Oct 18, 2010, 4:34 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #68

I figure with Disneyland in Anaheim being so close to the filming locations and since Dave stevens lived near orange county or in orange county during that time. It would make more sense to have it at Disneyland...
    I agree. Although, there is at least one Rocketeer left in Disneyland.....

rocketeer popcorn! by hummeline, on Flickr
  19. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 19, 2010, 12:45 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #69

Awesome..Thanks! There are other props at the peevy lemondade stand as well. There is Peevy's rocketpack sketch and a Bigelow's air circus flag
    Are they reproductions or screen used? It'd be ashame if they are screen used, since the florida weather is not forgiving, especially on props. I can tell you in less than a few months time, my snowtrooper developed real rust on the chest piece!

Also, can you post some backround info on the Acme helmet? About to get it
    Oct 19, 2010, 1:26 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #70

Are they reproductions or screen used? It'd be ashame if they are screen used, since the florida weather is not forgiving, especially on props. I can tell you in less than a few months time, my snowtrooper developed real rust on the chest piece!

Also, can you post some backround info on the Acme helmet? About to get it
    I think the flag is screen-used and the sketch maybe a production copy. I think one of the screen-used copies is in the disney archives.

ACME helmet is a tricky one. There are several stories of the origins. The first story is it a copy of a stunt helmet used on film. The owner of the stunt helmet was the stage manager of the howard hughes scenes etc etc. Well, some how the acme helmet was cast from this helmet.

Other story which is more plausible is it a coughrecastcough of a copy of the stunt helmet. I think a person made a mold off of the stunt helmet and made copies. Well, the copy landed in a certain persons hands that recast the copy which later became the acme helmet. Same thing happen to the Icons helmets. They were NOT directly cast from the stunt helmet, but a copy of the stunt helmet which means the icons is a recast as well.

The ACME is the most accurate helmet available as of right now. There are several inaccuracies to it, but with the right tools and craftsman the helmet can be get close to screen-accurate. It wont be 100% accurate but it will be pretty darn close. Maybe in the 80%-90% range

Also, I dont know if it is just me, but the ACME helmet seems a tad smaller than the production and hero helmets.

You can see pictures of it in this thread:
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/rocketeer-w...-helmet-77607/
  21. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 19, 2010, 1:50 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #71

I think the flag is screen-used and the sketch maybe a production copy. I think one of the screen-used copies is in the disney archives.

ACME helmet is a tricky one. There are several stories of the origins. The first story is it a copy of a stunt helmet used on film. The owner of the stunt helmet was the stage manager of the howard hughes scenes etc etc. Well, some how the acme helmet was cast from this helmet.

Other story which is more plausible is it a coughrecastcough of a copy of the stunt helmet. I think a person made a mold off of the stunt helmet and made copies. Well, the copy landed in a certain persons hands that recast the copy which later became the acme helmet. Same thing happen to the Icons helmets. They were NOT directly cast from the stunt helmet, but a copy of the stunt helmet which means the icons is a recast as well.

The ACME is the most accurate helmet available as of right now. There are several inaccuracies to it, but with the right tools and craftsman the helmet can be get close to screen-accurate. It wont be 100% accurate but it will be pretty darn close. Maybe in the 80%-90% range

Also, I dont know if it is just me, but the ACME helmet seems a tad smallthan the production and hero helmet

You can see pictures of it in this thread:
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/rocketeer-w...<br /> 77607/

Yea i've been looking at that thread for a bit, but after comparing both the stunt helmets and the acme, I feel it's significantly smaller than a stunt. The stunt appears to have different eyes and appear further apart than the acme. I can be wrong, but after comparing the pics, I don't see any physical relation to the stunt
    Oct 19, 2010, 2:32 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #72

there were several diff stunt helmets used for the film
  23. RPF Premium Member tubachris85x's Avatar
    From
    NOVA/Washington DC
    Oct 19, 2010, 2:59 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #73

there were several diff stunt helmets used for the film
    Would you say that some stunts resemble the hero more than others? The ones posted here for example at MGM appear to be from the same mold. Idk, dosnt bother me too much cause that thread shows how beautiful the acme helmet can look
    From
    Atlanta
    Oct 19, 2010, 9:41 AM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #74

(Trying to paste in some of the previous pics for visual examples)

The most common stunt helmets are the kind you see at the Lemonade stand.

Those were made specifically for the parachute stunts. They made vacuum-formed plastic shells in usually about 3 or 4 pieces and then assembled them around an actual sky-diving helmet. They were intended to be "break-away" so that the stunt guy could grab the vacuum-formed shell and literally just break it off of the real helmet if or when he needed to. They THOUGHT they were going to go through a ton of them so they made quite a few of these. They are easy to spot because they are always splitting along the side seams like the one at the Lemonade stand.

You can also recognize the parachute helmets at a distance because the eye lens area has been cut much larger.

The stunt in the picture I posted below is unique as far as I know in that it wasn't a "break-away" helmet (it's the middle top). The helmet on the right is a screen-used hero currently residing in it's new owner's private collection and of course the one on the left is the original prototype. I can't give out details of this stunt due to it currently residing in another private collection but I did get the okay to post this particular pic which includes it.

There has been tons of speculation as to other so-called "stunt" or "production" helmets but very, very little of it is confirmed. According to the propmaster that worked on the movie, ALL of the helmets were identical but that's not entirely true. All of the HERO helmets were identical in most details. There clearly were the vac-formed parachute helmets and the stunt in the picture I posted which are all confirmed as "original" but beyond that, I view any talk of resin "stunt" helmets very skeptically without serious evidence they were even production made.

Part of the problem is this... The original hero helmets were made for the movie production by one prop shop (after it was sculpted by Kent Melton of course who was unaffiliated with them). I'm not even 100% sure if that same prop shop had a hand in the making of the parachute helmets at all or any other "stunt" type helmet. Those guys also made extra castings for themselves and for trade fodder or whatever. (I'd have done the same thing I imagine - that was before most people had even heard of collecting "props".) But then Disney came and took all of the molds and made more helmets for a whole variety of uses... park characters, publicity, marketing, ad nauseam. They primarily made helmets of fiberglass - not resin - and they weren't finished with the detail and care that the original prop shop took for the movie helmets.

So, between non-production copies made by Disney and non-production copies made by the original prop shop, some finished, some raw, getting out into the world of collectors, untold numbers of them have been passed off as "original production" copies and "stunt" copies which make figuring out what was a truly legitimate stunt or production copy nearly impossible.

There are a few exceptions like if you got a copy directly from a guy that worked at the prop shop like ER did. Those instances are very rare.

The Acme helmet is theoretically a casting of an "original" but in all likelihood it's at least 2 generations removed from a screen-used original casting but more likely 3 or possibly even more. I do have pics of the hero next to an Acme casting that I'll see if I can dig up for comparison. It's quite accurate despite any generational issues with the notable exceptions of what I pointed out in that other thread showing the Acme helmet I finished.

This is also what happens when a prop gets into the wild and starts breeding unchecked. You can't rely on anybody's word 100% because even the guys that worked on the movie sometimes remember things from only a certain perspective and forget some other detail. That's also why I put so much weight in corroborating information.

Out of my decade plus of completely obsessing over Rocketeer helmets, nine times out of ten, if somebody says they have an "original," "stunt," or "production" casting of a Rocketeer helmet they either don't know what they're talking about or are lying about it. Usually it's innocent ignorance but ignorance none-the-less.

I learned the hard way that in screen-used/original/production collecting, authentication and provenance are king.

(NOTE: I'm adding some further info to this post so you might see the edited time change.)
    Last edited by dualedge; Oct 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM.
    Oct 19, 2010, 12:26 PM - Re: Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios #75

Production Helmets

Compliments of Dualedge..I hope you dont mind posting this..He posted this in another thread that I find to be very useful