Rocketeer props from 1991 MGM studios

proto.jpg

This is the original prototype helmet. It was created by a fellow at the prop shop that built the final helmets. When it was presented, as I understand it, Dave and/or whoever else weren't happy with it. That's when Dave went to his friend and Disney sculptor Kent Melton who sculpted the shape of the hero helmet as we know it today. This is strictly a one-of-a-kind piece. To my knowledge, no other prototypes or copies of the prototype were made. That's likely the case with the prototype rocketpacks as well. This helmet and the bullet shaped prototype were the first two items made I believe so I'd love to get my hands on that particular rocketpack.

This was one of the helmets on display in the same Disney/MGM 'museum' when they were promoting the film. After that, it was stuck on a shelf in Disney's warehouse for about 15 years where it was under the not-so-tender mercies of their care. I think they're concept of taking care of something is simply not whacking it with a baseball bat every day. When I got it, the eye lenses and fin were gone and there was the crack along the bridge between the eyes.

Eventually I'm hoping to replace the eye lenses... assuming I can figure out how to shape the eye lenses so that they fit flush like it was originally. I'm hoping to eyeball the shape of the fin... it's just a huge flat boat rudder shape so it shouldn't be too hard, relatively speaking.

I'll post more in a bit...

Rob, I totally love that Prototype helmet..Makes me wanna come over and steal it haha

Kinda looks like a prepakura helmet ;) haha jk..I am sure one day it will get mistaken for one

I don't mean to stray too off of the Rocketeer topic of this thread, but since Tom mentioned hoping to see some other pics of this exhibit, here's one pic I took as a kid in June of 1993. At that time they were heavily promoting Super Mario Bros. but still had items from Honey I Blew Up the Kid, What About Bob, and Star Wars. Don't recall seeing any of the Rocketeer items, except for what's on display in the Backlot Tour today.

HeroStomperBoots-MGM1993.jpg

Here's the big sneaker Tom mentioned as it sits today:

DSC_3500.jpg

Rob, I totally love that Prototype helmet..Makes me wanna come over and steal it haha

Kinda looks like a prepakura helmet ;) haha jk..I am sure one day it will get mistaken for one

It does kind of resemble the pepakura helmet now that you mention it! It's sort of like an ugly baby in a way... I know it's not beautiful but I love it anyway :lol I just wish it had received better treatment in the warehouse. That last picture by the way is the prototype sitting next to the screen-used hero helmet I used to own. It'll give you some idea of the size of it. It's going to be huge if I ever get a replica fin added to it.

I've got a few more things to post... just need to get it organized...

That helmet is great looks like the bobblehead version. ;) I actually like the fact that the proto had used rivets on the vents and around the sides as well makes it look more mech to me and something that was actually made for the radio it was supposed be built from. Very cool item to have for sure, thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

Does anyone have better pics of the Comic styled prototype?? I was thinking of doing that one up for a costume since it's smaller in size (the MIM rocketpack looks ridiculous on my smaller frame)

Eventually I'm hoping to replace the eye lenses... assuming I can figure out how to shape the eye lenses so that they fit flush like it was originally. I'm hoping to eyeball the shape of the fin... it's just a huge flat boat rudder shape so it shouldn't be too hard, relatively speaking.

What a cool piece to have - I've definately never seen that before. I guess the concept Rocketeer and I were both blessed with massive foreheads. Thanks for posting the pics.

I've had some experience bending acrylic plexiglass, let me know if you're interested in giving it a try.

Does anyone have better pics of the Comic styled prototype?? I was thinking of doing that one up for a costume since it's smaller in size (the MIM rocketpack looks ridiculous on my smaller frame)

comic-1copy.jpg

From the Topps magazine - not sure if it's the same one from the display but it's the same idea.

pshhh, in that case, I will send you a picture of me standing next to all these goodies
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-rockete...d-obsession-updated-8-24-a-80659/#post1138844
:lol

You can mail my postcard to:

1234 UPMYBUTT Ln
Anaheim, CA.

make sure you send it first class haha

Also, it is kinda sad. Rocketeer was filmed in california, but florida gets all the cool stuff. tisk tisk

Yea yea, I'll still be on the backlot tour ride, plus going to downtown Disney that same night. Lol ill take a pic of me hugging the statue. Beat that

Im going to mgm in the next couple of weeks, I will take some recent pics of whats there and post.

wow, the helmet was complete at one point...the sides are still there

edit: Bulldog cafe on studio tour @ .43 seconds

YouTube - MGM Studios Backlot Tour 1992 (Rocketeer Props)

The helmet hanging facing down is a different stunt helmet than the one you saw with the sides coming apart. It's a somewhat unique stunt helmet that is now in a private collection... I can't say much about it unless the owner wants to identify himself but I identified it and got to examine it very thoroughly before sending it on to it's owner.

That photo is older from before they did some updating on the tour and you can see my prototype helmet peeking out below it in the same pic you're referring to.

index.php

Here's some shots I had from the backlot tour.

You can see the seam down the middle of the Bulldog cafe.

This was back when they cared...I remember all these cars were spotless. I wonder what the plywood Rocketeer in the background was for?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back