Death Star door control panel

A bit of an update.

A bunch of the bezels were sent off to be chromed, awaiting those to return to see how they look and determine any size modifications might be necessary for them to fit.

While we are getting bubble free casts, it's about 3:1 casts with one or more bubbles to bubble free casts. Being anal about what a bubble is.

We are wondering if the back of the lens should be matted out since seeing right through there is a hot spot on the LED.

colored-lenses.jpg

Sweet looking - and just in time, cause yesterday i´ve got my sixth Patterson Trident Viewer. :D

Any chance they maybe could be shipped together with my CS:R skins? Or do you assume it will take noticeable longer?

Sweet looking - and just in time, cause yesterday i´ve got my sixth Patterson Trident Viewer. :D

Any chance they maybe could be shipped together with my CS:R skins? Or do you assume it will take noticeable longer?

that would be good timing if so, but I don't think we'll have them ready in time. unless you want the bezels cold cast or raw. chrome, will be awhile still.

Those are looking awesome Philip! I will definitely be wanting some.
On the LED hot spot; why not make the entire housing deeper and allow for a diffusion sheet to be placed?
It doesn't have to be as deep as a real panel lamp housing but making it deeper would improve the look by having the LED set farther back plus a possible diffusion sheet

I'd be happy with some of your "bubble" b-grade casts. Considering they will be on top of the security array on my detention block set, no one will ever notice.

that would be good timing if so, but I don't think we'll have them ready in time. unless you want the bezels cold cast or raw. chrome, will be awhile still.

Chromed, yes please. :D

I was just guessing as i ordered my skins yesterday only - so i assume i may be pretty down the line until my will ship. Still collecting parts (only have the alu dome and now ordered the skins), so i´m not in a hurry. If the lights may be available for shipping a few weeks later, i would be fine to wait with the skins to get them shipped all together at the same time.

I think offering your "B"s might be no bad idea.

We are wondering if the back of the lens should be matted

Going by the lenses in the larger lamps, the even glow look is all down to the quite rough matt texture on the inside together with a fairly large clear round bulb sitting almost all the way up to the plastic.

Here's a look at the back, you can just see the size and how far in an original bulb sits. The opaque lens then gives a full and even glare.

daLights pic2.png

Do you think that matt effect would be possible with just a coat or two of matt varnish? If so, would buyers rather matt their own to get the effect they're after?

Looking real good.

Going by the lenses in the larger lamps, the even glow look is all down to the quite rough matt texture on the inside together with a fairly large clear round bulb sitting almost all the way up to the plastic.

Here's a look at the back, you can just see the size and how far in an original bulb sits. The opaque lens then gives a full and even glare.

View attachment 624299

Do you think that matt effect would be possible with just a coat or two of matt varnish? If so, would buyers rather matt their own to get the effect they're after?

Looking real good.

We have tested matte paint, but today we're going to media blast the back of some as a test as well. For me, I think it's better if it comes out of the mold ready to go.

Definitely can offer them clear and let people do what they want to with them.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back