Batman 3 villian rumors...

I've heard a rumor or two about Johnny Depp being cast as the Riddler.

Those rumours were around since the beginning of the year, before they even started on the script.

I hope Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in this movie in some form, although the internets have linked him with Riddler. Been a big fan of his and after Inception, he seems on his way to being an A-list.

I think that Mr. Reese will play a role in the riddler. He won't be "The" Riddler, but he'll play a part in the creation of the character.

I've heard a rumor or two about Johnny Depp being cast as the Riddler.

Are we in the Johnny Depp phase already?? Seems everytime a Batman film starts to ramp Johnny is cast as everybody at some point.

i just hope he doesn't do Gordon's son as Robin - Yep, he considered it while filming the end of Dark Knight - I want P-Diddy as Robin. You heard me!

I hope Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in this movie in some form, although the internets have linked him with Riddler. Been a big fan of his and after Inception, he seems on his way to being an A-list.

Wow, did some research after seeing this post and he looks strikingly similar to Heath, and draws a lot of comparison. May be weird to cast someone as the Riddler who looks so much like the Joker.

If not the Riddler, could he pull off Ledgers joker?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtVh8kVZ_XM

The Johnny Depp rumors have been spinng since TDK came out. I garauntee he will not be in it. Here is all solid info that I know of:

- Bale said that he and Nolan both agree that Robin would be "lame"
- Nolan said he will NOT use Mr. Freeze
- Nolan will NOT recast The Joker
- Two Face is DEAD

as far as I know anything beyond those facts is pure speculation

Penguin was also referenced in the Dark Knight viral marketing campaign, as far as I know Nolan had nothing to do with the campaign.

Yes, but Christopher Nolan has already given that rumor a definite no. While Nolan may have little or no control over the marketing, he along with his brother have much to say over the story and who's in it. I still mention the Riddler as a possibility because Nolan has yet to say anything on that matter in either respect.

Mr. Freeze- When asked, Nolan said that Mr. Freeze would not appear.
Penguin-Nolan doesn't feel the character would work for his take.
Ra's al Ghul- Nolan has said he will not return.
Two Face- Dead as a door nail.

Are we in the Johnny Depp phase already?? Seems everytime a Batman film starts to ramp Johnny is cast as everybody at some point.

That may be true, but I have it from a very reliable source that for the third installment Johnny was cast as Rachel Dawes, who after the explosion became Two Face. (We never DO get to see her die, or a body for that matter)

Just wait and see. I guarantee it!*

-Nick

*Not an actual guarantee.

The producer of the film, the woman that sleeps with the director shortly after the film premiered stated that the end was intentionally ambiguous concerning Dent.

If any Batman comic ended with that kind of death for Two Face, with a close up on the coin with the good "life" side up shown it's screaming come back.

That was a comic "death" if I ever saw one. The fall was the same Wayne took and he did not die, armor or no armor. Clearly it was survivable.

If they wanted to make sure he was clearly dead as stated in the script, they didn't show that at all. I didn't see an obviously broken neck or huge pool of blood under his head like films almost always go to great pains to show. So if Nolan wanted us to know that he was clearly absolutely gone, he failed.

These villianous characters are notorious for coming back after thought well vanquished.
Lot of misdirection is used.

It's part of the fun.
So to rule out that Two Face is dead because of this or that statement when clearly the film did not show traditional cinematic proof is a mistake, based on how the source materials have been followed fairly well by Nolan.

There is a lot of comic storyline in these movies, don't be so certain he is dead.

Even if he is not in the next film, I don't see that fate as final at all based on everything I have read over decades of consuming comics.

And always where Two Face is concerned......

Everything is a fifty/fifty chance.

The producer of the film, the woman that sleeps with the director shortly after the film premiered stated that the end was intentionally ambiguous concerning Dent.

Really? Because on two separate occassions Nolan said he was dead:

Eckhart: No. I’m dead. I couldn’t even get the words out of my mouth. “Hey, Chris, am I–?” “No. You’re dead. You’re dead.”

When asked if we'd see more Two Face he said:

“The Two Face Story Has Been Told”

And directly from the script:

"Dent lies at the bottom of the hole, his neck broken. DEAD."

Really? Because on two separate occassions Nolan said he was dead:

Eckhart: No. I’m dead. I couldn’t even get the words out of my mouth. “Hey, Chris, am I–?” “No. You’re dead. You’re dead.”

When asked if we'd see more Two Face he said:

“The Two Face Story Has Been Told”

And directly from the script:

"Dent lies at the bottom of the hole, his neck broken. DEAD."

Yeah, and imagine if you didn't do those things how badly it would spoil a surprise?

Again this could easily be intentional misdirection.

Let's face it, for movie kill off scenes, it was a lame one and showing two characters suffer the exact same physical trauma with one getting up and walking away unharmed casts tons of doubt on it being fatal.
That Batsuit didn't have inertial dampers.
Even Ra's Al Ghul got a better send off and that character in the comics is basically immortal.

I agree that it was left very open for Two Face to come back, and believe me, no one would be more excited to see it than me. But I dont see Nolan as the type who would intentionally misdirect like that. If he hadnt said either way, I would still have hope for his return. But I am fairly confident based on the statements he's made. I hope I'm wrong, but at the same time - think about it - how would they even convincingly have him return? If he wasnt dead at the end of TDK, certainly AT LEAST Gordon would have seen that he was locked up somewhere for what he did to his family. And then what? Publicly have a funeral for him and keep his whereabouts hidden from everyone? And then he returns, only to show Gordon as a liar? Maybe theres some way it good be done well, but I cant see it. And the injuries they gave him, although not following reality to begin with, would be a huge stretch to say he could survive more than a day or two.

My vote is that we've seen the last of Two Face. And in a certain way I'm happy about that. Always leave them wanting more...

Gordon involved in coverup and faking a death wouldn't be the first time. He faked his own of course.
Gordon easily could have no choice but to have him put in the basement at Arkham to protect Gotham from the brutal truth.

A Two Face return could be as subtle as the coin re-appearing towards the end of the film like the Joker card in the first film.

Whatever Nolan does, I hope he doesn't stumble. The third movie curse has brought down the best.

And I would like he doesn't close the book on The Batman in a third.
I think even a third film is still very much an origins story.

Batman can't be hunted forever, without Batmobile nor Batcave.

Hell I even think we might see a more comic accurate costume without all the armor.
They made a point to show he was still changing it, lightening it in the last one, I could see on certain missions he could prefer a traditional comic style costume.

Fans would freak to see that even for a little while. I would.

umm villain?
(raises flame shield)
Solomon Grundy?

I actually plan to attempt to convince a guy at work of this since he's a huge Grundy fan. :lol

umm villain?
(raises flame shield)
Solomon Grundy?

I actually plan to attempt to convince a guy at work of this since he's a huge Grundy fan. :lol

As I posted in page one, it could be a convincing rumor for the easily persuaded. Although I imagine the filming location might have more to do with tax incentives.

I wouldn't worry too much about Dent. While the "Hollywood death" is nothing new, I don't think Nolan would stoop to that level with these films.

Wow, did some research after seeing this post and he looks strikingly similar to Heath, and draws a lot of comparison. May be weird to cast someone as the Riddler who looks so much like the Joker.

If not the Riddler, could he pull off Ledgers joker?
I don't think it would be a big deal for him to play a different character, because Heath was pretty well hidden under the Joker makeup.. he didn't really look like Heath Ledger.

That said, if he were to recast the Joker, he would do well to have someone with at least a passing resemblance to Ledger. And it's almost uncanny how much Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks like Ledger.. they could be brothers. I saw him in a poster somewhere recently, and even knowing who it was, I had to look hard to NOT see Heath Ledger. Toss a little makeup on there, and he'd be the spitting image of TDK's Joker.

Yeah, and imagine if you didn't do those things how badly it would spoil a surprise?

Again this could easily be intentional misdirection.

Let's face it, for movie kill off scenes, it was a lame one and showing two characters suffer the exact same physical trauma with one getting up and walking away unharmed casts tons of doubt on it being fatal.
That Batsuit didn't have inertial dampers.
Even Ra's Al Ghul got a better send off and that character in the comics is basically immortal.

Not hard to believe at all. Plus, it wasn't the exact same fall. Two Face was knocked flat off the floor they were on not knowing it was coming. Batman fell from about 8' lower and knew it was coming and had plenty of time to try and protect himself during the fall.

I also assume you (and pretty much everyone else) has tripped and fallen in your own house. There are people who die doing just that.

Not hard to believe at all. Plus, it wasn't the exact same fall. Two Face was knocked flat off the floor they were on not knowing it was coming. Batman fell from about 8' lower and knew it was coming and had plenty of time to try and protect himself during the fall.

He was also wearing the same cape that allowed him to slow his decent when he jumped out the window after Rachel.

...Dent had no such magical cape.

-Nick

Looks like a neat piece of fanart. It's purportedly a screenshot from the Arkham Asylum game, showing Killer Croc. I'll hide it in spoiler tags, even though you shouldn't be reading rumor threads if you don't want spoilers. :lol

Killer_Croc_Batman_Arkham_Asyl_by_dok_k.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about Dent. While the "Hollywood death" is nothing new, I don't think Nolan would stoop to that level with these films.

I don't think it would be a big deal for him to play a different character, because Heath was pretty well hidden under the Joker makeup.. he didn't really look like Heath Ledger.

That said, if he were to recast the Joker, he would do well to have someone with at least a passing resemblance to Ledger. And it's almost uncanny how much Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks like Ledger.. they could be brothers. I saw him in a poster somewhere recently, and even knowing who it was, I had to look hard to NOT see Heath Ledger. Toss a little makeup on there, and he'd be the spitting image of TDK's Joker.

Totally agree here.

Regarding Two Face's fall, I think killing him was really pointless. Yes, it was cool to have Harvy Dent "die" as far as the public was concerned, but it would have been just as easy to show him getting locked up in Arkham and still having Gordon tell the public he was dead. As far as I am concerned, I never got SCREEN confirmation he was dead, so in my Imagination, he lived.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back