Studio scale Snowspeeder, Rogue leader.

ralphee

Sr Member
Started out on this last week, the NiceN/Salzo studio Snowspeeder.

First off, i had the first gen of this kit, and although, Nick really did do great job on the pattern (lets face it, its a very tough one to nail) the kit quality just wasnt up to my par, but then, iam VERY critical of resin kits in this day and age.

Now onto this kit, nothing you guys havent seen before from Richard, but i have to second, and sing its praises.
Mike has done a FANTASTIC job in the casting of this kit the hull being resin does have a tendency to warp, and there are a few minor misallignments, but its all easily over looked (and easily fixed in the case of the hull) when the overall quality is this good.

Im yet to find any major areas that need putty, though, i will find them as im over anal on bubbles lol, this is, the first dust of primer here, and i was very pleasantly surprised, on how little clean up/putty work i have to do.

Still much to do, and im just waiting on the hardware to get her mounted to a Panavise, but if you were on the fence about this, get one, seriously, i gave up for the sake of my own anal sanity on scratchbuilding this prop, this kit, is a very close second.

More to come soon, after a long break from ANY studio modeling, im just having a bit of fun for now, it all got a bit too serious for my liking lol.

bests......lee
Snowspeederresinkit006.jpg

Snowspeederresinkit009.jpg

Snowspeederresinkit002.jpg

Snowspeederresinkit003.jpg

Snowspeederresinkit007.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another Snowspeeder.

Hey lee nice work and thanks for the kit , i see what you mean but i'm happy with it. thinking of doing something a little different with mine.

Omg, there's some flying words underneath it, something about and iPhone 3GS :lol

On a side note looks great.

Last edited:

Oh come on, EVERYBODY knows the Rebel forces love Apple heh, yeah, tis about all i had to hand to sit her on for now till i get the alloy armature made.
Going to make a mock alloy block and plate for the mount, akin to the ILM bird, and may add the tube section, not sure on that yet, itll mean a LOT of seat and figure carving.
Kevin, Allan, and Jason, thanks lads, yeah, kinda back in this, just for fun right now, just taking it slow, though ive already cut some from the kit to replace with kit parts........rude not to i guess lol.
Allan, the casting is a good one, as i said, very few bubbles and warps to deal with, though i have gone to school with the dremel on the hull edges, that was kinda fun TBH.

Hoping to buff up this primer coat today, then put a good coat on, and get to the airbrakes etc, cockpit will have to wait till i get the alloy.

Then, i have a MAMMOTH task, of getting even close, to that paint Rich laid down on his....worried? Nahhhh LOL.

lee

Looks like it's off to a great start. It's such a cool looking ship isn't it? As for putty etc. I didn't need any at all, there's nothing really that needs puttying with this kit, which is very very nice.

That's coming along something nice mate, very clean work.
Glad to see you back building dude, you always seem to inject some enthusiasm into my building & always follow your progress with eagerness.
Stu

Too cool Lee :love Have you been..as you say...putting butter in your primer..:lol

Phil

Stu, buddy thanks, BTW, got your PM, just been a bit under it all past day or so lol.
Ill do the measures, try get a sketch done, and shoot it over to see what you think, TBH the armature i may knock up for this one here, got the alloy billet today, so maybe even i make mine, then just take the pics, and mail you the dims, see if there is any interest from the other speeder builders?
Just trying to think of different stuff for you and Dad to do, that will sell here for you guys i guess?

Phil, hah, nah buddy, its another new primer, Upol self etching, goes on even better than the Halfords stuff, shot the final coat on the hull Sunday, like glass, but then i always get lucky with rattle can primers lol.

Hopefully get the armature made this week, then i can crack on, thinking an underside, and a topside mounting point, bit gimmicky, but then tothe topside mount will make painting a breeze, gotta scratch a new canopy though..........thanks Allan :lol

bests......lee

Hey no worries Lee, when your'e ready wer'e ready.
You mate have a young family, I don't, family & life comes first so i guess just have fun building your speeder dude, looking forward to your updates.
Stu

Good eye on the canopy issues Lee and Allan. I've been looking at the canopy and wondering what was wrong too.

When comparing it to reference, most of the horizontal and vertical thickness of the posts/parts are too thin. I don't notice a difference in overall dimensions though. Should be a simple part to scratch, thankfully.

Well, i just gone done cutting the new canopy, still rough, but taped it up to get a looksee.
This pattern is a direct copy of the MR canopy, scaled up (thanks Allan) and its a LOT different to the kit canopy.
You may notice side bar spacing is now correct, as is the front screen and roof aperture....its also, not as thick now.

Problem....seems the kit tub, is around 6mm shorter, than the scaled up MR pattern, but, that said, thats blooming close seeing as Nick built the master, from photo ref.

Ill have to make a few mods to this styrene pattern as it has some overhang, it wont really be all that noticable....a little off, but a LOT closer than the resin part, just wanted to get this done, as a few nice additions will be gracing the cockpit soon.

bests.....lee
Snowspeedercanopy001.jpg

Snowspeedercanopy004.jpg

Snowspeedercanopy005.jpg

Snowspeedercanopy006.jpg

Snowspeedercanopy007.jpg

Adolfo, hopefully itll look better tommorrow lol, bit rough right now, and i have to figure how to lose around 5mm from the length, without it looking too hoopty.
Most wouldnt even notice...but, i think we have already found, you have a keen eye :)

bests.......lee

You can lose 2 or 3 mm by moving it backward, wouldn't be too noticeable, I dont know if you can lose your 5 mm this way though.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back