"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Update 5.2.15

Westies14

Master Member
Update 05.02.15 - Painted!

real-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-painting-01-13-14-a-imageuploadedbytapatalk1430596603-496091-jpg-472301d1430596604

First successful pull!

attachment.php

More images on last page.

- D
____________________________________________________________________________________________

01.03.2014 - Mold Completed!

real-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtle-mold-completed-jan-2014-turtle_mold.jpg-270293d1388788375

VIDEO OF COMPLETED SCULPT: https://vimeo.com/54583738

**03.14.13 UPDATE ON LAST PAGE** Ready for molding!

VIDEO OF COMPLETED SCULPT: https://vimeo.com/54583738

There's sure a lot of Ninja Turtle activity on the board lately! Hope you don't mind one more progress thread. I'm finally back to work on the ninja turtle costume that I didn't have time to complete last Halloween. It'll be a challenge to get it done this year!

I've always wanted to do a "real turtle" version of a ninja turtle, as a costume. Very realistic creature, very weathered gear and weapons. I've started carving the shell from foam rubber. It will be latex skinned. I've also just finished my second session on the mask sculpt... There's a long way to go, but I have it pretty well roughed out now. Pics below!

left_profile.jpg

right_profile.jpg

angle.jpg

And just to give you guys some idea of what I'm going for, I did a quick color mockup and added a bandana:

turtle_mockup.jpg

As you can see, I'm trying to insinuate the curvature of the neck, almost like the head goes up and over. It'll get there. I need to really sculpt some depth into the folds/creases, and bring them right across under the chin...

This is being built on a life-sized head armature, and has placeholder lenses in for the eyes. I have more of the same lenses and they should pop easily into place on the casting.

The finished sculpt will be very detailed and very textured, but I'm starting to be happy with the shape. I'll add progress pics as I work on him - I'm hoping this thread will keep me motivated and I can wrap him up this Halloween!

Last edited:
Re: Custom TMNT costume/mask project - "Real" Mutant Ninja Turtle

Oh, and before anyone asks, this is a Leonardo costume. Red mask a la the original books!

This is awesome. I think this is my new favorite interpretation of the turtles' look.

very nice, reminds me of the custom statue i have with the same face and expression for Leonardo. very cool.

really like where you are going with this mate. looking forward to seeing more

As a tortoise-keeper, I see a lot of realism in your sculpt. Great job!

Thanks fellas! I know this look isn't for everybody... My wife, for instance, is only creeped out by the sculpt - doesn't like it at all. She has a very strong fondness for the cartoon turtles from her childhood (born in '84) and got out a vintage ninja turtle cup to show me what they should look like! This look is just so interesting to me. I first liked the more turtle-like features added in by some of the Mirage artists - wrinkles, a different head shape. Then I saw a statuette online which featured a very dark, monstrous, sinewy Leonardo:

realtmnt2.jpg

realtmnt1.jpg

Not exactly what I had in mind - I don't want to go quite so far into the "monster" realm, and I'd like mine to seem a bit more naturalistic - but it's a great proof-of-concept and seeing this inspired me to tackle this project after simply thinking about it for literally twenty years!

Since I'm going for a "real-world" mutant turtle, it is actually very encouraging to have a comment from a "tortoise keeper!" Is that your job?

Pics of the foam rubber shell pieces coming soon!

- Douglas

Last edited:

Are you planning to make a mechanical movements head?
Giovanni

I've always loved this version. I think you're doing well to not go so far as the maquette, your version will be much better.

Are you planning to make a mechanical movements head?
Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

The planned final product for this sculpt is just a latex mask. Animatronics are outside my area of expertise, but I might be interested in seeing how someone else could bring one to life down the road. The way I'm sculpting it, the wearer's chin would actually sit in the curved area coming down underneath the jaw. I wonder if that might not give the jaw some movement if you opened your mouth exaggeratedly... But no, no mechanics yet. I hope he has an interesting expression that can be read many ways when finished. Leo will be the strong silent type, I suppose.

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm hoping to put another hour in tonight.

- Douglas

This was the statue i was referring about. looks a little less scarier then the other one posted above. lol that mask is coming along very nicely tho!

blog_leo03.jpg

I like it ! , it's always nice to see different takes on one theme

As always Doug, fantastic work! I'm glad I was there to actually see you start it. Makes the appreciation of the final so much more intense.

Keep at it, you can do it buddy!!

I never really got in to the TMNT thing.... but this looks awesome. I'm watching you. :p

I didn't end up getting to sculpt today at all - one weeknight for sure, though! Goodnight, RPF.

raph_final.jpg

Here another great stylistic rendering of Ralph.
Real curiour to the progress on your sculpt!

strange...

Never seen turtles like that... I know the turtles from the first comic, the cartoon turtles, the toon turtles, the movie turtles, the series turtles, the game turtles, even the new turtles...

But Ive never seen turtles like this... it reminds me of one of the villains the 2nd turtles movie... dont remember exactly the correct name... Raza?!?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back