"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Update 5.2.15

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Updated 08-09-2011

Thanks guys. John, hopefully he'll be done (and on his way to you) by the fall! I'd love to complete this costume for Halloween...

Great work. I like the more realistic design and great textures and details!

Absolutely beautiful! I came across a realistic Ninja Turtle the other day when Google Hopping, it was awesome to see this thread pop up! So can't wait to see how this turns out, it's going to be fabulous!

How are you going to approach the shell? Foam fabricated? Etc? I hope for comfort's sake you work light!

Hi Bilious,

The shell is being carved from a large block of upholstery foam rubber. The front, back, and sides are separate pieces. I'll glue them together, and also mount them to a metal "belt" ring. A wire form to shape the front shell plate and suspender straps will be riveted to the belt. Once the foam pieces are all together, I'll skin the shell with latex. An outer leather belt will help to hold the foam shell pieces in against the inner metal ring, and a diagonal shoulder strap (along with that front wireform) will help to keep the sandwich together up top.

Thanks for your continued interest - I'll certainly do some more work this weekend and I'll try to document it.

- Douglas

Nice work! I can't imagine how many times I saw the 1990 film as a kid - I know Mikey's face well, and I can definitely see him in that sculpt!

Nice work! I can't imagine how many times I saw the 1990 film as a kid - I know Mikey's face well, and I can definitely see him in that sculpt!

Thank you very much! Can't wait to see yours finsihed! :thumbsup

Worked on him last night.. Getting close to being able to texture the entirety of him - the fun part!

- D

I can see this being the best TMNT costume ever:D... I'd love just the head as a sculpture in my house, althought it would probably freak out the gf:p

Have you decided which turtle its going to be?(*hoping Raph*).. Im interested to see how the shell will hold together without too much movement. I thought about this costume for halloween last yr:)

Thanks very much! He's gonna be Leo, but he will have a red band if he wears one at all. They all had red bands in the comics I grew up reading (or at least on their covers)! There's a quick photoshop mockup of how I envisioned it in the first post of this thread.

Red band is close enough haha.. Im guessing they just colour coded them for kids. I never actually read the comics, i must start. I was only 8-9 when the cartoon came out.

I have this thread subbed so i'll be hoping for a speedy build:)

Yeah, that was a playmates thing. Eastman/Laird (turtle creators) were approached by a licensing guy who thought they were fantastically sellable with their look and with that name. He hooked them up with the Playmates contract for the toy line, and eventually the cartoon series. Playmates didn't think the different weapons (which were present in the original greyscale comics) did enough to differentiate the characters for kids. They assigned the four colored headbands and the letters on their belts.

These were the guys I grew up with:

first01.jpg

Its actually just coincidental that Eastman set up a deviantart account when u first posted up this, so i got to see all the original art work which i've never seen before (i know, shame on me!).. He's done quite a bit for the independant comicbook community!

Do you think you'll have this done by halloween?

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check out his Deviantart site.

I'd like to finish this in time for Halloween - that's the plan, anyway - but it wouldn't be the first Halloween deadline I've missed! I work 12-hour days Monday through Friday; I have a one-year-old son and a wife who I love to hang out with (but who doesn't enjoy sculpting); I take on a massive amount of freelance work in my off-hours; I'm wrapping up a new record with one of my bands. These little sculpting sessions sort of feel like my vacation time, but it's really stretching trying to get time in on it. Last night, for instance, I brought him out and worked on him from 1AM to 2AM, then went to bed to get up at 6:30AM. Will working like this be enough to complete him before October 31 rolls around? Who knows... I really hope so though. Halloween is kind of a big deal at my work and in my neighborhood. I've had two years in a row of "backup" costumes now...

- Doug

Its actually just coincidental that Eastman set up a deviantart account when u first posted up this, so i got to see all the original art work which i've never seen before (i know, shame on me!).. He's done quite a bit for the independant comicbook community!

Do you think you'll have this done by halloween?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back