"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Update 5.2.15

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Updated 7-25-2011

Please, don't make them "scary" white eyes. Since when do Turtles have white eyes? Breathe life into this thing!

Since the first issue dude lol.

01cover.jpg

Thanks guys. I got a couple hours in the other night; I'll do another session and take some pics this weekend, hopefully. The eyes are going to look exactly as they do now. The eyes are being sculpted over the same lenses that will be in place on the mask. No glowing white eyes or human (white with pupils) eyes for this guy!

- Douglas

reminds me of this image i saw on deviantart the other day. I cant wait to the finished piece man:)

donatello_by_davidrapozaart-d3k7tqa.jpg

Those Dave Rapoza illustrations are pretty nice! He's done Leo as well, along with that Robot turtle, Baxter Stockman, Shredder, Splinter, Bebop, and this fantastic April:

Dave-Rapoza-Art_Ninja-Turtles_2.jpg

are you doing the whole body and shell and weapons too? or just the head?

I'm doing an interpretation of the body, shell, and weapons as well - though not through this technique, at least on the first pass. I have the shell mostly carved from foam already!

I've done a session since the last pic. I'll try to take a shot the next time I see it. Thanks for the encouragement. You guys definitely get more excited about the progress than my wife does. :lol

LOL!! my wife is the same way. She gets lost in the conversation every time I try to explain something, but at least she loves that I have a hobby:)

I don't know what I was thinking when I started testing textures (the last update you guys saw). I get so excited about the fun part - the face - that I completely neglect the rest of my sculpt! Yeah, it was "blocked in," but working on something like this, it's really best to bring each part of the sculpt to the same state of finish in passes. That way, you're sure each part continues to work with each other part in balance as you go. I did NOT have the back of the head and the neck sculpted to the same degree of completion as the face - not even close! The last couple times I worked (short sessions) I buckled down and began to refine the neck (adding folds) and the back of the head (on which I'm beginning to rough in a scalloped track to the base and down the neck). I allowed myself to indulge in carving a few rough details and scaling to the face here and there, but you won't see a lot of progress in that area. Still a long way to go, but here's where he sits tonight!

turtle_08_09_11_1.jpg

turtle_08_09_11_2.jpg

turtle_08_09_11_3.jpg

turtle_08_09_11_4.jpg

turtle_08_09_11_5.jpg

Thanks for looking,

- Douglas

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Updated 08-09-2011

Nice going so far! Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Thanks Spartan & D2!

im excited to see the shell and weapons.

I'll try to get a picture of the shell up soon. The "weapon" in this instance is a cheap import katana which I'm going to weather very heavily.

I'm so tempted to show this to my dad since he was the one who bought me that issue of the turtles' comic book. Probably because he liked the way it looked as well. However, I'm gonna try and wait it out until you're done.

So awesome! Great work Doug, remember to send it to me when done!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back