"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Update 5.2.15

Re: Custom TMNT costume/mask project - "Real" Mutant Ninja Turtle

Thanks Shadow. Here's a sketch I did for reference as I sculpt him; this should give you an idea of where he's headed (hopefully), as far as the texture and details go.

turtle_sketch.jpg

- D

I love father's day! In addition to watching Superman and Die Hard and playing hours of music with my one-year-old, I was finally able to get a third session in on this! The left side of the face is catching up to the right side; the structure is almost there. Once that's done, I can start detailing and texturing, and who knows - maybe I can get some pulls out this summer! I'm psyched. Pics coming soon!

- D

that's amazing im looking forward to seeing the rest, i check the forum when ever i can to see if there are more pictures posted.

Dude, you've totally got the Michael Zulli look of the turtles down. Check it out.

tmnt31off.jpg

I was 6 when that issue came out (I was also born in 84'), and when my dad brought it home I had no idea what I was looking at. I couldn't believe my eyes. Surely these weren't the fun loving, pizza eating, cowabunga-speaking turtles that I loved so much. But there it was, in plain English right on the cover: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". The look of the turtles actually scared me.

Years later, I'd say this is my favorite incarnation of them. I really hope the live action movie they're gonna make will lean closer towards this look. Can't wait to see more!!

looks pretty awesome to me, i did a (digital) sculpt recently of a more realistic ninja turtle, it sort of came out like voldemort meets the turtles...lol....

002cjzy.jpg

Turntable Video

the bloodmask and hair were just an effort to individualise the design a bit...

Thanks for the interest, fellas! I like that look from the comics as well, TD, though they are a bit monstrous. I definitely have had it in mind along with some of the other incarnations seen earlier in the thread as I've worked on my sculpt. I'm hoping to keep a bit of friendliness and wisdom in this expression - but I also want it to feel like a real creature. Hopefully you like the way he comes out as much as you like the look from those TMNT issues!

I've worked on him for one short session since these pics. I'll have to do another and take some more pics... Halloween's gonna come faster than I expect it to (as usual)!

- Douglas

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Updated Pics on PG 2!

Here are some pictures from this past weekend! I've got him blocked out how I want him, so I'm starting the first detail pass and sampling different textures on each section to see how I like them.

left_profile.jpg

eye.jpg

texture1.jpg

looks pretty awesome to me, i did a (digital) sculpt recently of a more realistic ninja turtle, it sort of came out like voldemort meets the turtles...lol....

Turntable Video

the bloodmask and hair were just an effort to individualise the design a bit...

Very cool design - the "mask" reminds me of the coloring on many of the real turtle reference pictures I've collected! What software did you use to model this?

Would you mind scaling your image down some? It's really messing with my browser window. Thanks very much!

- Douglas

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Updated 7-25-2011

I really like the look of this. Very original and not another rehashing of the same old same old. I will be watching this thread for some updates. Awesome work there.

Totally Tubular! Seriously though, I like how you've managed to maintain a lot of the forms of the 2d design while making it look like a real turtle. I really don't care for those re-designs that look like creepy man-turtles.

the sculpt's looking FANTASTIC! i can totally see this working. which is a pretty big deal, considering how wrong something like this could look. i have every faith this is gonna be badass

reminds me of this image i saw on deviantart the other day. I cant wait to the finished piece man:)

donatello_by_davidrapozaart-d3k7tqa.jpg

Thats smokin. Childhood heroes coming to life. Please, don't make them "scary" white eyes. Since when do Turtles have white eyes? Breathe life into this thing!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back