"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - Update 5.2.15

"Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - ready for molding!

3-part mother mold applied! It's not super pretty, but I think it'll do the trick. I'll separate it, trim the flange and insert bolts, and see what we've got underneath this weekend...View attachment 152413

Re: "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - ready for molding!

Cannot wait to see how the mold turns out. We're crossing our fingers!

The plasti-paste is a mess to work with! Good looking 3-piece shell!
I do have a recommendation though. I would do the triming and bolts before seperating. By doing so, the mold will will reassemble exactly the way it should.

Side note:
It appears there is a heavy "U" shape on one of the side walls near the shoulder area of the sculpt. Is this just an illusion or something you intended. I would just be cautious of that area trying to lock up.

Again nice mold!

I'll be doing the trimming and drilling before separating for sure!

The u-shapes are clear - useful for registration, even! That's one part that translates over from stone molds at least. I know to stay perpendicular to the sculpt and make sure everything drafts properly so it won't lock up. Without the curve, the back shell would actually have wrapped around to the front of the cheek, neck, and curved side wall of the bust and locked around the sculpt. The curves trace the high point around the side of the sculpt.

I'm so excited and nervous to break this thing open and see how the jacket came out! I picked up some smooth-cast roto and foam to pull the first reference master yesterday... I'll be sure to keep everyone posted!

Deric, thanks again for all of your help along the way on this!

I'm afraid there were some issues with the mother mold.

It was far too thin in parts, and in almost the entirety of the flange. It cracked up quite a bit in removal. I need to build it back up, much thicker and with support strips in key areas. I'd really hoped to demold this weekend... Oh well! Time to order more supplies!

Can I suggest Fiberglass? Fraction of the cost of plastipast, and is much much ligher. Besides that, just a couple of layers of fiberglass is stronger then a shell of plasti-past.

That's the pro route for sure, but I've used fiberglass a few times and it's always been a nightmare for me. Between the fumes, the inevitable mess, and the difficulty I've had with getting it to fully cure, I'd rather stick with this relatively easy material. I'm going to place cardboard wedges as bracers and paste them in- they'll reinforce the walls really well without necessitating mega-thick walls. Besides, I can still use most of what I've built up. I don't need to start from scratch. The plasti-paste II adheres to itself perfectly.

Haha i didnt knew that ! In that case rock on, absolutely loving your sculpt! Are you going to cast these in resin or silicone ?

Ahhhh. Thought it was going to be a big update :(

I would love that! I hate that he's still sitting under silicone, taunting me... Work and parenting sure take up an awful lot of time...

I would love that! I hate that he's still sitting under silicone, taunting me... Work and parenting sure take up an awful lot of time...
RIGHT?!?! If it weren't for 50+ hour weeks and spending time with family, I could get a hell of a lot done.

Of course I wouldn't have any money and my life would be really empty...:rolleyes

I'll take 4!
Any updates? This is AWESOME!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back