PICS: Kermit Eller - the "tour" Darth Vader

blewis17

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This StarWars.com Hyperspace article appears to be open to anyone, not just members. A great read, with great pics!!

StarWars.com | A Vader Among Us

MODS: since this article has multiple pics of the ANH Vader costume, I figured it best went here. Please move if needed.

GREAT article with a bunch of the ANH Vader suit pics I have never seen before.
Kermit Eller IS the man!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya great article, although I'm not sure if it is still (??) a problem with posting Hyperspace images here on the forum? I thought the old CoC had something about not doing that but I don't see anything about that now.

Still, never hurts to let the new crop of Vader enthusiasts see that great article.

The image in the first post has been temporarily removed. Please use the link that was provided to view the images.

Awesome Story! Thanks!!! I remember "meeting" Darth at Toys R Us around 1977, it was a thrill and it was amazing to see the Toys R Us ad in the story.
Thanks again!

I went to one of those TRU appearances back then, I wonder if that was Kermit Eller. The costume was put on rather poorly. Here are my pics.

Tour20Vader.jpg

Tour20Vader2.jpg

Chances are good it was Kermit, and you were seeing a screen used Vader and Trooper suit. Imagine if you could do that TODAY......:wacko

Interesting article, thanks! Not being a Vader costumer myself, I found it intriguing when he was talking about the real costume parts, like how the undersuit was 3 pieces and the cod velcroed to the bottom of the vest section, the shin armor was thin plastic while the torso armor and helmet were fiberglass, etc.

Very cool read.

Who was the Dentist guy? I helped him get in and out of the suit at an appearance in San Diego in the early 80's, like Sept. 82.

A bunch of us did what would now be called "trooping", in more than just Star Wars costume as it was a general Sci-Fi event. I was Captain Holland from the Black Hole.

I had a chance to walk off with the suit but listened to better angel of my nature.

those toy store appearances are one of the things that inspired me to get involved with costuming / the 501st. i used to love getting to meet the characters from my favorite movies and cartoons. i wanted to be able to do that for a new generation.

Thanks for the pics. Was I right about the TRU photos, About not being Kermit in the outfit. If you look closely in the TRU pics, The whole belt is upside down and under the surcoat.

''The next thing to put on was a shirt, but the arms were leather.''
Were the arms leather and the rest of the ''shirt'' made from a different material?​
From the pictures it all looks to be pleated leather.​
What is Eller talking about?​

Those are all great pix! And they only illustrate all too well that Prowse was the only guy with the size who could really pull off "the look" of Vader. Everybody else looks puny.

Agreed. Even a small thing like the deep chest and the wide feet of Prowse is an instant give away which most have failed to live up to. Those finer points is what makes Darth Vader for me. Ultimately the character is a colaboration but I disagree with those that say any tall guy can pull off Vader, not so. Even Prowse by Jedi and the evolution of the costume differed himself from one movie to the next but his build in that costume is Vader, even with the changes.

Were the arms leather and the rest of the ''shirt'' made from a different material?​
From the pictures it all looks to be pleated leather.​
What is Eller talking about?​

2 pieces to the upper body... a tunic that had leather arms and then a vest (that closed in the back) that was worn overtop of the tunic, which was leather.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back