"New Project - 1/24 X-Wing fighter scratchbuild"

lw2012

Always loved the X-Wing from Star Wars. But always hard to find kits in large scale to build to finish my dream. That's why I decide to build it.
Here is a new project I am starting few weeks ago. After collect enough information, I did prework in 3D ProE to finish the main body.
Then links up with my cnc to finish it. Just check following WIP pics to see my works.

After finish it(now the progress is around 80%), I would like to cast it into a kit.
So, please just drop me a pm if you are interested it.

Cheers,
Poseidon

Pics of 3D ProE
tn_four2a.jpg

tn_four5.jpg

tn_four3b.jpg

tn_four4.jpg

tn_four3.jpg

tn_four2b.jpg

WIP pics of wing parts, it's active to expand or collapse.
DSC_6569.jpg

DSC_6572.jpg

DSC_6573.jpg

The details of wing parts:
DSC_6570_1.jpg

DSC_6571.jpg

DSC_6574.jpg

DSC_6576.jpg

WIP pics of main parts :
DSC_6577.jpg

DSC_6578.jpg

DSC_6579.jpg

DSC_6581.jpg

DSC_6582.jpg

DSC_6583.jpg

DSC_6584.jpg

DSC_6585.jpg

Others :
DSC_6587.jpg

DSC_6588.jpg

DSC_6589.jpg

DSC_6590.jpg

DSC_6591.jpg

DSC_6592.jpg

DSC_6593.jpg

DSC_6595.jpg

If you're looking for a GK producer who's willing to kit this...send me a PM.

Nice size and nicely detailed....love the movable wing idea.

Interesting approach. Your canopy is too tall and squared-off - that could benefit from a rework but other than that there isn't very much I'd suggest. It might be very well received if you can produce it cheaper than the existing high-end 1/24 X-wing kits. Either way, well done.

This is coufusing me...

The engineering of the hull really looks to my like it is a mass-produced, factory-produced item, built and structured like a toy would be.

Were all the parts you are showing built wholly by you?

And if so what techniques are you using?

Last edited:
Well, it's clear a good deal of that is fabricated in styrene so I assume the remainder is CNC'd as Poseidon described. It does seem to match her 3D models. If she's using CNC then she can design whatever features she wants into her mesh I guess. The engineering looks pretty nice. Would certainly make for a new level of ease of construction in the X-wing GK world; I'm sure there's room for an easier to build, simpler kit. I'd love to know more too.

It is disorienting sometimes, this new world of CNC, Sl and 3d printing, isn't it? Soon us old-timers will be marked only by our obsession with research and accuracy - the kids will just be getting on with making stuff while we fret over whether we've got the right panzer jack.

P.S. Poseidon, sorry if you're not female, I just assumed that from your hands/nails.

This is coufusing me...

The engineering of the hull really looks to my like it is a mass-produced, factory-produced item, built and structured like a toy would be.

Were all the parts you are showing built wholly by you?

And if so what techniques are you using?

Hello PHArchivist:

Yes, all parts are built by me. You can zoom in these pics to see the most of details of surface are built by hands.:cool
Actually, using 3D modeling tools (CAD or ProE) and CNC machine to assist built works is very common to see now, not so special. Many guys announce their projects here are using same approach.
I use the 3D models and CNC to finish the hull and add details by hands. If I had more money, I will buy a higher-level CNC machine to complete all works.:lol

Well, it's clear a good deal of that is fabricated in styrene so I assume the remainder is CNC'd as Poseidon described. It does seem to match her 3D models. If she's using CNC then she can design whatever features she wants into her mesh I guess. The engineering looks pretty nice. Would certainly make for a new level of ease of construction in the X-wing GK world; I'm sure there's room for an easier to build, simpler kit. I'd love to know more too.

It is disorienting sometimes, this new world of CNC, Sl and 3d printing, isn't it? Soon us old-timers will be marked only by our obsession with research and accuracy - the kids will just be getting on with making stuff while we fret over whether we've got the right panzer jack.

P.S. Poseidon, sorry if you're not female, I just assumed that from your hands/nails.

Hello Nwerke:

Many thanks for your explanations for me. And also thank you for your comments, I will try to rework it in the next release.

Hand in pics is my girl friend, not me. :lol

This looks really awesome. If everything fits, this could become the best thought-out garage kit. I´ll keep an eye on this... But please, as mentioned, make the canopy more flat. That´s the only "negative" thing I can find. Looking forward to more progress. Keep it up! :thumbsup

Hi Poseidon - okay, girlfriend was my second theory, hehe! There is a lot of good reference around these days for the X-wings. Stare at it until your eyes bleed is my recommendation! You may find other things you want to change and it's much much less depressing doing so before you pour silicone. :lol

Oh I had another question; if you are going to mould in silicone and cast in resin then your "pillars" in the fuselage will present challenges for bubble traps. Have you planned that out?

Hello PHArchivist:

Yes, all parts are built by me. You can zoom in these pics to see the most of details of surface are built by hands.:cool
Actually, using 3D modeling tools (CAD or ProE) and CNC machine to assist built works is very common to see now, not so special. Many guys announce their projects here are using same approach.
I use the 3D models and CNC to finish the hull and add details by hands. If I had more money, I will buy a higher-level CNC machine to complete all works.:lol

Extremely nice work!

So would this eventually have everything molded on or included as parts? Or would this be just a basis for a kit, and we'd have to provide our own scratchbuilding? What would it be made of?

I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's just that it doesn't seem to fit the normal resin kit option, nor the normal injection molded plastic kit option, so I'm trying to figure out where this fits in.
Mike Todd

You said it, Frank. Reviewing my posts just now and I hope I haven't sounded too negative. This is amazing.

If only my v3 hull went together as easy as that. I may have finished it months ago. Nice work but as they said, perhaps re work the canopy.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back