size of captain americas shield?

familyman

Sr Member
I want to start work on a captain america shield, I have done a search and found some great tutorials but none seem to mention the size of the shield. can someone please help me.

eecf0d6714f99197ef06d8db43928e41.jpg

I am thinking of trying to do the movie shield. I plan on using the 30" diameter but am not sure about the curvature. I can't find any measurements for this anywhere. Either the height of the center point when the shield is laying flat or the diameter of the sphere which the shield would be a section of.

Well, in the comics, the shield fit nicely across Steve Rogers' back. He could strap it on his back and wear a jacket over it. It wasn't super large in relation to his size, though for us who do not have augmented Super Soldier builds, it would be large for us.

I would say keep the curvature more shallow than steep. When the shield was drawn with too deep a curve, the drawings never looked right and looked less aerodynamic.

The shield should is 30" wide and based on the picture in the 1985 Marvel Universe Handbook, it should be about 3.5" thick. On the card Jannix Quinn posted, it works out to be between 3.5" and 4".

Here is a Picture from the Marvel Universe Handbook:

tumblr_ktliz1ft7O1qzi19to1_500.jpg

And a link to the page about the shield I found:
This is a Ghost Town..., Captain America

The Captain America Shield that was available a while ago:
CASSSHIELD60_f.jpg

DETAILS:
Measures approximately 30 inches high by 30 inches wide by 4 inches deep. Approximately 12 pounds.

Although this Replica:
FX19651lg.jpg

is approximately 27 inches in diameter

Since the Marvel Universe details Say the size is 30 inches in Diameter, I would go with that for accuracy.

Personally IF I was able to do it, I'd make a shield like the Movie version.
captain-america-shield-front.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
propsculptor: The movie versionis the one that I am planning on trying to make. I love the way it looks.

irishamericanlad: While I would love to machine it out of aluminum, I think that it would be cost prohibitive (at least for me) and require more skill than I have. I am thinking about using fiberglass and painting it to look as much like metal as possible.

IneffablePolk: Thanks for the dimmensions. I wish that I could find an edge on shot of the movie shield to get a more accurate estimate of it.

I am just in the planning stages right now. Probably won't be able to start on it till some time after Thanksgiving.

It isn't a great shot, but this is the closest I can find to a side view for the movie shield. The curvature looks similar to the comic book version. I'd probably just go with 3.5".

irishamericanlad: While I would love to machine it out of aluminum, I think that it would be cost prohibitive (at least for me) and require more skill than I have. I am thinking about using fiberglass and painting it to look as much like metal as possible.

IneffablePolk: Thanks for the dimmensions. I wish that I could find an edge on shot of the movie shield to get a more accurate estimate of it.

or you can buy a 40 dollar sled like i do and make one that actually is metal :)

or you can buy a 40 dollar sled like i do and make one that actually is metal :)

While I do like your shield (both round and WWII) I am not sure that I could get all of the grooves in the metal sled sled like the movie version has.

InnefablePolk: I had seen that pic, but it seems to be from a slight angle rather that a straight side shot. I will probably just end up making a few crude plugs out of styrofoam with different curvature to see what looks right to me.

Last edited:
Have a word with Fettster, Rich is a good fella and a mate of mine, he has just had moulds cnc'd annd they look amazing and is offering sheilds. i'm thinking if you had a cold cast aluminium metal unpainted blank (resin and metal powder ) done by him you could polish and paint it to get a very similar result to the movie version. shoot him a p.m. plus have you seen the excellent cap mask he's made its excellent.

I was just thinking of doing one as a starter project. I have never done a model/replica before and thought this would be a good project to start with. It would give me alot of large, smooth area to get used to glassing/sanding. Would be fairly easy to paint ect. ect. I have been debating on where to start though. What to build the frame from? Do I want to stretch canvas or some other medium to adheare to? ect.ect.
I am inclined to build a frame from dowel rods and stretch canvase over it and resin the top and fiber the back. I would love to hear if someone has done one or has a better, easier idea.

Thanks for any advise.
The Fur.

The Fur motto #4 "Your biggest resource is the people you know, and Google is your friend."

i made one, its at teh LOH on the tutorials area, not sure the actual link lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back