Braveheart full sized bust

A little trick. Try to match the angle on photographs of Mel Gibson, as he's rarely seen from the angle you take pictures from. Every picture found is either straight on or slightly from above... rarely from a low angle. And try to photograph it from six feet back and zooming in. It'll make it easier to help you.

I still think the eyes are way too low, but it's hard to tell from that angle.

Try to match this angle, then I can do a line tracing from the photograph and paste it onto the picture of your bust, as I tried doing it now, but it's not easy merging a straight on shot with a low angle shot as you can see in the second thumbnail.

Thanks again Bro, great pic but he is smiling in that pic and that changes the shape of the eye. Its a life cast albeit with the eyelids sculpted in but I dont think it would change the position of the eyes, would it? i hope not. Also got the eyebrows and eyelashes in today. Still not happy painting the eyes, anyone have a good place to get eyes? Van dykes are all off, tried a few different sizes. Ill post pics soon with a painted up eye just for pics.

thanks again for the comments everyone!

Got the new eyebrows and lashes, painted him up, need to touch up the blue a little and the eyebrows are not affixed yet, need feedback on positioning then Ill glue em down and paint the other one in blue. Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera is not that good. Thanks for looking

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

DUDE!!! For a minute, I thought that was a photoshop (using real pictures of Gibson) someone had put together to try & make a point about something. That looks frakking incredible.

Hi mate

I've been looking closely at the pics and I think the right eye (as we look at it) still needs tweaking on the lower lid. At the moment it looks like it's drooping compared to the other eye.

Here's what I would suggest you alter:

img4501j.jpg

If you can tweak that drooping lower lid, I think the eyebrow placement you have planned will work great.

DUDE!!! For a minute, I thought that was a photoshop (using real pictures of Gibson) someone had put together to try & make a point about something. That looks frakking incredible.
WOW,,,Thankyou so much! means a lot
Hi mate

I've been looking closely at the pics and I think the right eye (as we look at it) still needs tweaking on the lower lid. At the moment it looks like it's drooping compared to the other eye.

Here's what I would suggest you alter:

img4501j.jpg

If you can tweak that drooping lower lid, I think the eyebrow placement you have planned will work great.

I see what you mean Bro, its amazing what you can see in photos you cant see in person, Ill work on that tomorrow, it did seem a little off to me but i couldnt place it, thanks!

No probs mate - yeah, it is amazing what photos show up.

Often, if I'm sculpting something, I take photos as I go to see where I'm going wrong/right...it's amazing how different things look in 3D to 2D!

Fixed the eye (i think) Painted the eyebrow, fixed them in place. Blue still need a little touching up , I think i need to do somethin about the blue eyebrow, you can see the film its attached to, may have to blend it in with some putty, ill see how it dries. I can see now that the pupils may be a little off too?

IMG_4512.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4509.jpg
[/IMG]

Left eye looks much better. Definitely "lock down" that blue eyebrow. Pupils clearly gaze down, and each seems to go out just a tad - left out to the left; right to the right.

Well, since the lifecast comes from one where he has his eyes closed, then whoever sculpted in the eyes could have made the mistake of doing the eyes lower than they should. However, in these new shots, things look more proportioned. But can you try photographing him from straight on or slightly above, rather than from a slight low angle?

Also... the eyebrow in the blue area could be sculpted rather than the eyebrow piece, as the blue would have gunked up the hair anyway, so just look at pictures of him in the makeup and just sculpt the eyebrow as you see it in those pictures. The real hair eyebrow does look good, but you need to trim it and position it according to how Mel Gibson looks.

And if you tilt the eyes more upwards when installing them, then he won't have that "looking down" look.

One thing... you may want to pull the inner eye corner - the one in towards the nose - down a bit, sorta giving it a more downward angle. This is minor work now to perfect the eyes, as you seem to have nailed the rest. I wasn't able to scale and rotate the line art properly, but you can easily see how dramatic it changes the eyes with the inner eye corners being corrected. it is so little that is missing now to get a slam dunk awesome likeness. So little.
IMG_4509copy1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey... was so concentrated on the face that I forgot to look at the rest. You gotta wrinkle up that neck. Give it some texture and shape.

Looking good.

Took a ton of pics from the "Making of Braveheart" DVD, I see what you mean about the eysnow, this pic shows the eyes pretty well, even though he is squinting a little.
IMG_4563.jpg

Well, since the lifecast comes from one where he has his eyes closed, then whoever sculpted in the eyes could have made the mistake of doing the eyes lower than they should. However, in these new shots, things look more proportioned. But can you try photographing him from straight on or slightly above, rather than from a slight low angle?

Also... the eyebrow in the blue area could be sculpted rather than the eyebrow piece, as the blue would have gunked up the hair anyway, so just look at pictures of him in the makeup and just sculpt the eyebrow as you see it in those pictures. The real hair eyebrow does look good, but you need to trim it and position it according to how Mel Gibson looks.

And if you tilt the eyes more upwards when installing them, then he won't have that "looking down" look.

One thing... you may want to pull the inner eye corner - the one in towards the nose - down a bit, sorta giving it a more downward angle. This is minor work now to perfect the eyes, as you seem to have nailed the rest. I wasn't able to scale and rotate the line art properly, but you can easily see how dramatic it changes the eyes with the inner eye corners being corrected. it is so little that is missing now to get a slam dunk awesome likeness. So little.
IMG_4509copy1.jpg

I think I fixed the eye corners, gonna repaint the blue again and the eyes again, then start working on the neck.

IMG_4576.jpg

I haven't checked this thread in a couple of days (my work schedule sucks!) ... you have made INCREDIBLE progress on this. I'm actually shocked at how nicely this has progressed since I've last checked in. Wonderful work ...

This could be a lighting issue but the brown eyebrow blends in with the skin tone - too much for my tastes. Perhaps some dark brown highlights to the eyebrow?

Left eye looks much better. Definitely "lock down" that blue eyebrow. Pupils clearly gaze down, and each seems to go out just a tad - left out to the left; right to the right.

Don't you mean "Loch Down?" :lol

Sorry, really nothing to contribute, but I think it's looking pretty damn good thus far...

The progress and your ability to take constructive criticism and apply it to the bust to make it better in this way is just cool. Keep tweaking until you are completely satisfied!

The new eye shapes are much better. :thumbsup

When i started reding this thread, i thought the bust looked very iffy....but now it's truly sensational and authentic looking!

The way you have consistently tweaked and modified the eyes etc. in accordance to the constructive criticism does you proud!

Well done!

rich

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back