Braveheart full sized bust

Much, much better. The eyebrows add a lot, but should be slimmer still end go down a bit more, and perhaps raise the eyes a bit on his face, which will remove the surprised look.

With lifecasts, they have closed eyes... and basically... the line that goes across is the bottom line and to open up the eye you have to open upwards. I've seen some make the middle of the eye be at the closed eye line, if that makes sense, but that is way too low on the face. You have to basically have the upper eyelids go in under the bulge of skin below his eyebrows, which will also make him look straight out instead of appearing to look down.

Attached is a picture to show what I mean:

BH007.jpg

Last edited:
With lifecasts, they have closed eyes...

It is a shame the facial expression is so flacid. This project is being managed so well, its too bad the expression is not more dramatic. Kudos to the artist to taking it to this level.

I think I'm one of many who wants to see this one knocked out of the park!

Thanks again guys for the info and the great picks, helps so much to have second opinions.
TooMuch Garlic was 100% right about the eyebrows, they were too high- i sanded em off and redid them, also repainted the eyes- still not sure if they are right. Too big irises? too small?

PhArchivist, i started to glue up the hair, looks like hair plugs right now but Ill be adding in more hair and when thats done Im gonna do a complete repaint, nake him paler- I guess i was putting the skin tones too close to my Italian skin color. And PHArchivist, keep the hints comming bro, too much is never enough, Ill try my best.

Hope its commin along as good as your critiques, thanks again!

EYEBROW WAX:
IMG_4375.jpg
[/IMG]

EYEBROW RESCULPTING:
IMG_4379.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4389.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4388.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4391.jpg
[/IMG]

Great work man! But as you can see on the PHA's pictures, the blue on the face covers the top of the right eye lid, as well as the top of the upper right lip.. I'd add a little more scruff to the edges of the blue paint, just a little, it seems a bit too even..
Still, looking great man!
And I LOVE your Boba Fett helmet too... Please show it on some pedestal...

Off topic but this is for chibigear:

IMG_4368.jpg
[/IMG]

Keep researching artificial eyelashes. I've seen better versions than what you have. In fact, I may still have a set from the Indy bust I was working on a few years ago.

On the eyes... Too bad you can't feasibly go "glass". But if you do repaint them, devote time to the eyes, as this is what really brings life to the bust.

Another thing if you do redo them - I would cast the gaze upward a bit, and maybe off to one side. I cannot take credit for this idea, as a good friend and master bust artist was the first I knew of to cast eyes to the side, and not to make eyes looking straight ahead. Just take care that the gaze "flows" with the rest of the face, so that it "makes sense".

But when the eyes do look to one side, or upwards a bit, it really adds life. Not to get too analytical, but perhaps our subconscious mind "knows" there is muscle activity going on, holding the eyes in position, giving the illusion of life.

Also, with the flacid epression due to this being a life cast, any additional indication of life or dramatic appearance will help considerably.

Also, there are really decent artificial eyebrows available.

You may see a small bit of the mesh backing that the hair is affixed to, but it is a small compromise for the realism of real hair. Also, as you're going with a real hair wig, matching real hair eyebrows would work better for the overall bust.

These are a bit costly, but would work well:

http://www.nu-brow.com/men-eyebrows.html

http://www.headcovers.com/cosmetics/eyebrows/

Last edited:
If you end up doing anything with the eyes (like add glass) look at resculpting the eyelids, they have a tired look to them. Raising the eyelids, a lot, would give him more of a crazed Scotsman looks. :)

Wow, those eyebrows are phenominal, i didnt know those even existed, thanks!
I may end up peeling ip the back of the wig and do a little brain surgery to remove and replace the eyes.

When I do Ill carve the upper eyelid open a little more.

PHArchivist- any idea where i can get better eyelashes? Ive gone through3 sets now and wouldnt mind finding really good ones. the ones I find make hime look a little drag.

Wow, those eyebrows are phenominal, i didnt know those even existed, thanks!
I may end up peeling ip the back of the wig and do a little brain surgery to remove and replace the eyes.

When I do Ill carve the upper eyelid open a little more.

PHArchivist- any idea where i can get better eyelashes? Ive gone through3 sets now and wouldnt mind finding really good ones. the ones I find make hime look a little drag.

I'll double check for you. I got the ones I have at a local wig shop, but I believe they had to order them.

OK,,,,wow,,,lol
Took off the eye brows completely now, ordered real hair ones as well as eyelashes as suggested by PHArchivist-thanks

repainted basecoat with lighter tone- still need to paint up with oils after basework is complete. Stripped the eyes with acetetone and based them out. Waiting to paint those as well. Opened up the eyelids a little too. Need to open more?? Not sure

About halfway there with the hair plugs, getting my technique down.

Pictures look a little scarey but show the hair and the eyebrow(or lack of) and reshaped upper eyelid.

Thanks again.

IMG_4409.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4411.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4414.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4413.jpg
[/IMG]

Regarding eye lashes - if you go to CVS or any sort of pharmacy store like that look for long lash women's eyelashes. They work really well on these projects and can be trimmed to desired length. The longer the better because you can play with the length after they have been installed. The ones that curl upward are the best. Trust me, it will look really good once all is said and done.

Never attach eyelashes to the lower eye lid. Try to faintly pencil them in - just a hint of a hair line is all you need.

Hope that helps!

I sure hope you recognize the improvements, because with each update, you are making great leaps and bounds!

It is truly becoming the character! I think your base flesh tone now is just about perfect. With added detailing, (a bit of stippling with other colors, reds pinks, stubble - and a small bit of "dirt") and you'll be dead on!

I think I'll watch the film tonight on Blu-Ray!

I still think you need work more on the upper eyelids. Look at your own and look at pictures of Mel Gibson. The upper eyelids are pretty much concealed by the skin flap above the eyes and below the eyebrows, where they slide up under, when the eyes are open. You really need to tuck them in a bit more. It may result in that you have to potentially cut out and re-angle the eyes in the face. Or... maybe you just need to slim the thickness of the upper eyelids, as they do seem mighty bulbous. Maybe try that first, slim things down and tug them in under the skin flap... and then see if the angle looks right. Also... you need to reshape the shape of the eyelids. They look wrong.

IMG_4411.jpg

Here's a pic of MG's eyes - you can see the relation of the eyebrows / temple to the eye's and eyelid thickness, as pointed out by TMG above:

melgibson3.jpg

Looking at the pics, I feel that the eye's on yours need to move up towards the brow slightly?

Kudos to you for accepting all the suggestions ans constructive critisism - I'm sure the end result will be fantastic!

Here's a pic of MG's eyes - you can see the relation of the eyebrows / temple to the eye's and eyelid thickness, as pointed out by TMG above:

melgibson3.jpg

Looking at the pics, I feel that the eye's on yours need to move up towards the brow slightly?

Kudos to you for accepting all the suggestions ans constructive critisism - I'm sure the end result will be fantastic!

Thanks , but he is smiling in that pic, totally changes the look of the eye. I was gonna go more for this :

braveheart1.jpg
[/IMG]

TooMuchGarlic, Im totaly recarving the eylids, hope to have pics later.

Thanks again PHArchivist, i know eyemakers use red threads in their eyeballs.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back