Blade Runner Toy gun Mod FINISHED **pic heavy**

So after seeing seeing this toy "replica" posted here previously and finding one in a cheapo gift store I decided, as there are none here, to start a thread documenting my (rather heavy handed) attempt at converting it from a garish childs toy into a near as dammit prop to be displayed with pride (lets see about that...)

The inspiration is originally from a rather fine fellow Kev who has previously converted one or two of them and in turn from this chap...

YouTube - blade runner gun - Almost

for those not familiar with the starting product here's a pic...

4405618127_b95ccb2337.jpg

it has lights and sounds..all of which I've gutted as per the video as I'm also gonna attempt to install more realistic light effects (static led's)

after removing the innards...

3.jpg

2-1.jpg

I noticed that part of the poppy outy barrel end, when inverted, fits nicely as the barrel end to extend the overall length

1.jpg

so far so good...next I cut off the 'props' and extra plastic at the top of the grip to give it a more cutaway feeling as per the real prop

6.jpg

I've also decided to cut off the trigger guard and install a larger metal one in anticipation of installing double triggers

5-1.jpg

4-2.jpg

after much cutting, testing, recutting and testing it finally slots in quite nicely...

9.jpg

10-1.jpg

I also removed the fore sight and cut two plastic washers to sit above the main barrel as per the movie prop

7.jpg

8.jpg

I will try to include the little pointy thing in the top barrel nose too..but that's for later.

so progress so far "mocked up" prior to other works and of course painting, greeblies and electonics..

11.jpg

more to come as and when...

Respect
P.

Last edited:
Re: Blade Runner Toy gun Mod WIP **pic heavy**

Nice work! I have a couple of these myself waiting for attention that I'm looking forward to working on. The new trigger guard makes a huge difference.

AWESOME! I have one of these and I wasn't really sure where to begin modifying it. I really love the plastic washer bit. It really makes it look much more accurate.

UFO, you can get one of these on ebay.co.uk under "bladerunner"

I have been waiting to see someone do one of these up. Nice work so far. I picked up a few myself and have yet to decide what to do with them.

Andy

todays efforts...

In my search for greeblies I came across an old 12" Hasbro Darth Maul lightsaber hilt..looks like a laser sight to me!

a1.jpg

I cut out a groove for it to sit into on the side of the revolver portion...

a2.jpg

and in it pops...

a3.jpg

Just need to hollow out the saber for wires and led's.
next was making space for and test fitting the on/off switch for the steyr mag

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

it just about fits after removing the switch workings and squeezing it a bit with some plyers.

You can see in this set of pics that I've also begun sanding off the lettering and raised edges

All I await now is my modelling putty to arrive and it's time to get serious..painting soon!

Respect
P.

today's update includes....

greeblie number 1 - taken from another cheapo waterpistol, a kind of safety catch. I want to try to make the left side as different from the right and as close to the true prop as possible, I've also shaved down the surplus bolt so it blends more

1b.jpg

greeblie number 2 - the screw/adjuster (it has a name I forget) Cannibalised from a PC case and an extra groove cut into the top

2b.jpg

Plasto filling the markings to make for a smoother barrel and cylinder

3b.jpg

I also decided to cut out the existing barrel end and make my own more realistic top barrel..

8b.jpg

using rubber tap washers (thanks Badsprout) I made a concave end

6b.jpg

and another cannibalised part - a star wars weapon cut up to utilize the tip only

4b.jpg

and shazam...here it is (sorry for the poor pics)

7b.jpg

more to come....

Respect
P.

Good God man! You may as well have scratch built a blaster! ;)

Honestly though, this is fun to see because I have considered doing the same thing.

Are you planning to install new triggers?

shhh...it's a secret...

Image0276.jpg

Unfortunately I lack the skills, not to mention tools and workspace to build from scratch, but give me a template and I'm happy :D

Respect
P.

while I'm impatiently waiting for the plasto to dry for sanding down...test fitting of the now trimmed to fit barrel ends...again sorry for the poor pics!

Image0282.jpg

Image0283.jpg

Respect
P.

This looks FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the great work this really looks good!

I've had my eye on one of these toy guns since it was first posted a while back.

Your build up is all kinds of awesome right now! Can't wait to see the end result! :thumbsup

Kevin

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back