Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update 10-31-11...

Re: Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update NEW WANDS

very nice work! I've been dabbling in kids wands, but nothing like this. Wow.

Really nice wands, and it makes for props a lot more accurate than resin copies! And I agree with you, crafting that kind of things in wood is pretty addictive.

wow, really amazing wands, i thought you had bought all of these, but i later found that you made em? nice. you need to message me and tell me how you did so

Jeff, these are all amazing, seriously top quality work. I'm especially impressed with the hand-carved lignum vitae wand, that stuff is tough! (It's my favorite kind of wood though).
If anyone is trying to get wands made, I can't promise I'm at HeirofOlivander's level of work, but I make them too! I have a gallery -here- if you'd like to see them.

And please, I am still kinda new at this site. If I'm not supposed to advertise like this outside the junkyard, please let me know and I'll... not do it.

I have been very busy trying to keep up with requests, if you send one I will get back to you.

I have been working on alot of new wands: Movie replicas, Pottermore, and my own custom wands, the process is ever changing, better building methods, more effecient finishes, and trying to get the products out in timely manner as I do this in my spare time. I will be posting a very large reply soon with lots, and lots of new pics. Here is a teaser, one I am happy with.

Peter Pettigrew's (Wormtail) Wand, It is mahogany measuring 15" and painted black, though in the future I will stain it or use ebony or blackwood. Sorry for the blurry pics, the wand does have a lot of details you can't see here.
6088131382_899cfca74e_b.jpg

6088131446_06eb3a7581_b.jpg

6088131520_8aef403de1_b.jpg

I will also be starting up a blog so that you can see the latest custom wand and to check and see what I have in stock. As soon as it is up I will post the link. This forum and my blog I will keep up date with info on the wands I am producing.
J Hoffman

Re: Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update Wormtail's Wand

I've been wood carving for a little more than ten years or so, and I also recreate Harry Potter wands. I'm just wondering what reference photos you might have found to carve the wormtail wand. I recently attempted to carve a Wormtail wand of my own, but the only pictures I could find of it were pictures where only the shaft was clearly visible. In carving it, I attempted several swirls for the "pommel" of the wand, but in the end, I just ended up cutting it off and making a simple hollowed out flair like a trumpet. Here are a couple pictures of my replica. It's made of real holly wood.

Last edited:

There are some great pictures from different angles on the Harry Potter Wiki website and there is a poster book at the bookstore that a nice pic of Wormtail holding his wand.
Ron Weasley takes Peter's wand so you can also find some pics of Ron holding it as well, there is a big swirl that is textured at the end of it. Kind of like a "worm", and then the shaft looks like a rat "tail", maybe thats why its looks like that, a wormtail wand.
If you want to see my references just pm me and I will send them off to you.
What did you dye the holly with anyway that looks very black? I will try using blackwood or ebony when I make my next one. Thanks for sharing.

i really love ur wands..and looking forward to have the same in christmas..is woodcarving hard?.....please Pm me for ur reply..NICE JOB..i tried making wands using paper and hot glue..made many wands the same with the hp characters but cant make the others with critical designs

For those of you who have worked with holly, you know that it's really almost white in color. What's more is that it is a very dense, oily wood, so it doesn't take dark stain very well at all. So to get this wand this dark, I essentially had no other choice than to use paint. I usually like to be able to see the grain of the wood in wands so you can tell they're what kind of wood they're actually made from, but in this particular instance with Wormtail's wand, and with a few others in my collection, painting rather than staining actually looks much better (at least in my opinion). I will be posting more of my wands soon to see what you all think. I do have several that are made from holly just because I like how well a dense wood holds detail, plus it's a little heavier than some woods, and it give the wands a little more weight, which makes them feel even more real.

Last edited:

For those of you who have worked with holly, you know that it's really almost white in color. What's more is that it is a very dense, oily wood, so it doesn't take dark stain very well at all. So to get this wand this dark, I essentially had no other choice than to use paint. I usually like to be able to see the grain of the wood in wands so you can tell they're what kind of wood they're actually made from, but in this particular instance with Wormtail's wand, and with a few others in my collection, painting rather than staining actually looks much better (at least in my opinion). I will be posting more of my wands soon to see what you all think. I do have several that are made from holly just because I like how well a dense wood holds detail, plus it's a little heavier than some woods, and it give the wands a little more weight, which makes them feel even more real.

Last edited:

Did you ever think to try burning/charing it to achieve the darker color. Also perhaps after that process you might be able to use some alcohol based stain to darken it more. I say alcohol based because if I am right you can also then (with a light flame) burn that stain onto the wood as well. I believe this is something like what they do to stain and darken Tobaco Pipes. (saw it on SciCh How it's Made. Love that show)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back