Retro, comicbook style Space Helmet (Lots of Pics)

BAK55

OOPs!! I badly botched something here. Stand by while I attempt this again.

Last edited:
I'll try this again.

I started with a few shipping tubes in various diameters. The largest is 11 inches in diameter to fit over my head.

attachment.php

I refined the tubes by applying a veneer using poster board to hide seams and defects. The front assembly for the air intake waffle fan is glued onto the collar. I should mention the globe isn't glued on yet. It was the last thing that I did.

attachment.php

I had built a box for the "backpack" which houses the air outtake blower fan to ensure airflow through the helmet.

attachment.php

After much sanding and test fitting, I had brushed on a mixture of white glue and water to seal the collar and backpack before painting. I sparypainted on a couple of poyurethane coats to give the whole thing a tougher skin. I then painted both items with Valspar Metal paint and overcoated with a satin finish clearcoat. I then scapped away the cured paint and polyurethane down to the paper on the spots where I glued the backpack to the collar. A 1 1/2inch diameter flextube was fed through the backpack manifold and centered. A small screw was driven into the flextube from the inside of the box to hold it in place while I drilled a hole to feed wire through the flextube to the front waffle fan. Once the wires were soldered and insulated, I cemented the fans into place.

attachment.php

I completed the backpack assembly and epoxied the globe onto the collar.

Here is the result.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both 12 volt fans run on a single 9 volt baatery. Enough air flows through to prevent fogging and remain cool inside the helmet.

That is really cool. I have to build two different space suits for separate projects, and this gives me some great ideas.

Very cool. Funny thing is you can use this basic thing for modern sci-fi stuff too. There is a space suit somewhat like that in Fallout 3 that you have to wear. And i just added that comic to my amazon list thanks alot lol.

Last edited:
awesome awesome build i love a good pulp scifi helmet!!!! are those cardboard? tubes ahrd to come by? I was thinking doing something like this for my mars attacks collar as well. not sure if home depot caries them tho.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back