The Dark Tower (Post-release)

firesprite

Master Member
This story has me cautiously optimistic!

King's Dark Tower being turned into massive TV/film series | Blastr

King's Dark Tower being turned into massive TV/film series

This is one of those ideas that's either going to be crazy successful or an epic failure. NBC Universal just made a deal to turn Stephen King's The Dark Tower saga into three films and a TV series, a lot of which will be written by Akiva Goldsman and directed by Ron Howard.
The news just broke on Deadline:

Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have closed a deal to turn Stephen King's mammoth novel series The Dark Tower into a feature film trilogy and a network TV series, both of which will be creatively steered by the Oscar-winning team behind A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code.
Ron Howard has committed to direct the initial feature film, as well as the first season of the TV series that will follow in close proximity. Akiva Goldsman will write the film, and the first season of the TV series. Howard's Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce, with Goldsman and the author.
The deal is being compared to Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings movies, except it's going be even bigger:

I spoke with Goldsman and Howard, who have polled enough of their peers to be convinced what they are doing here has never been attempted: using a major studio's film and TV platforms simultaneously to tell a story. It is reminiscent of when Peter Jackson directed three installments of The Lord of The Rings, back to back, so that they could be released in three consecutive years.
"What Peter did was a feat, cinematic history," Howard told me. "The approach we're taking also stands on its own, but it's driven by the material. I love both, and like what's going on in TV. With this story, if you dedicated to one medium or another, there's the horrible risk of cheating material. The scope and scale call for a big screen budget. But if you committed only to films, you'd deny the audience the intimacy and nuance of some of these characters and a lot of cool twists and turns that make for jaw-dropping, compelling television. We've put some real time and deep thought into this, and a lot of conversations and analysis from a business standpoint, to get people to believe in this and take this leap with us. I hope audiences respond to it in a way that compels us to keep going after the first year or two of work. It's fresh territory for me, as a filmmaker."
Considered King's answer to JRR Tolkien's Middle Earth trilogy, The Dark Tower revolves around Roland Deschain, the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers, and humanity's last hope to save a civilization that will crumble unless he finds the Dark Tower. Howard and Goldsman describe the world as "an alternate Americana, one part post-apocalyptic, one part Sergio Leone."
If they can pull this off (and we hope they can), it sounds like we'll be watching this in some form or another for for the rest of eternity ... and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I know there are other Dark Tower fans here

A movie trilogy AND a TV series? Is one going to lead into the other as a continuation, or are they going to be two completely different creations?

It's good to hear this may finally see the light of day, but I can't too excited. Not many of Kings books have made good movies/tv series.

I couldn't really get into this series. I heard from a fan of them that at one point they tied into his other books like The Stand and such.

Yes!!!!!! Loved this series, can't wait to see how they put on this on the big screen!

It's good to hear this may finally see the light of day, but I can't too excited. Not many of Kings books have made good movies/tv series.

True, but Ron Howard is a pretty solid director. If he sticks with the project, I will be optimistic. Plus, if they stick with "one part post-apocalyptic, one part Sergio Leone", I'll probably enjoy at least the atmosphere of the movie, even if it butchers the story somehow!

I couldn't really get into this series. I heard from a fan of them that at one point they tied into his other books like The Stand and such.

Yes, they do. The Dark Tower series is like the center of the Stephen King universe. At first it was a very subtle, unconscious thing, but then he started actively tying them in.

I may have to start getting them. I know a few guys used to discuss if half the badguys in the king books (Randal flagg from The Stand, the wizard from storm of the century) were really the bad guy in Dark Towers pulling strings in alternate universes.

I may have to start getting them. I know a few guys used to discuss if half the badguys in the king books (Randal flagg from The Stand, the wizard from storm of the century) were really the bad guy in Dark Towers pulling strings in alternate universes.

Flagg is one of the main lieutenants of the Crimson King, the major malevolent force in the Dark Tower. The Wizard from Storm may have been the Man in Black from The Gunslinger, but I'm not certain on that.

Flagg wasn't very good at his job lol. I shoulda picked these all up at the flea market 2 weeks ago for a buck each.

For the uninitiated, but curious, the Dark Tower Wiki has a very brief overview of the themes and elements of the series here. There are very light spoilers, but nothing that will kill enjoyment of discovering the books.

If you don't care about spoilers, there's plenty of information to delve into for a deeper examination of the books there as well.

I don't hope for much Akiva's a hack. :unsure

I don't hope for much Akiva's a hack. :unsure

Mmm, I dunno. I enjoyed A Beautiful Mind, I, Robot, and I am Legend. Besides, the Dark Tower is Stephen King's -baby- and he has enough clout that I HIGHLY doubt he won't be intimiately involved with what comes to the screen.

As I said, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Eh. The Dark Tower is practically my religion, and frankly, I don't have a good vibe about any adaptation (on film: I've enjoyed the comics). The three movies you mentioned, firesprite...well, I really hated two of them, and though I liked I, Robot, I don't feel like it's a "fit." But I'll reserve judgement. It's not like they're doing something really awful like Americanizing Let the Right One In. :unsure

I've read them all at least once. I've heard them all read at least once as well.

So yeah...I'm a fan.

So I guess we're not talking about this:
attachment.php

I read the first book and immensely enjoyed it.

However, I worry - the casting is extremely crucial, as King's books made some vivid impressions in my mind. The right casting puts the movie on the board (Tim Curry as Pennywise, in IT, for example) and bad casting dooms the movie to relative obscurity.

The Dark Tower is such an epic story that nothing short of epic characters could pull it off.

... bad casting dooms the movie to relative obscurity.

This is true for any movie. "Good" casting is always preferable to "bad" casting. I do not think, however, that casting accurate or beholden to individual fan interpretation is necessary to prevent any project from being doomed to "obscurity." What I'm trying to say is, casting by fan expectation does not equal good casting, necessarily.

As for the announcment, I find it a very exciting step forward for the potential of properties told across multiple medias. Now, two different arms of the story is a small step, but its concrete progress none the less.

So this is who they got to replace JJ Abrams and co.

Never saw A Beautiful Mind but when I compare the visuals of IRobot and I am Legend I think that they can do the proper style for the Dark Tower. And while I found both of those movies enjoyable I also thought they were quite a bit dumbed down from the source material (But it's pretty dang hard to beat Vincent Price in Last Man on Earth for any remake when the author of I am Legend was in charge of the script in the original adaptation.) If King can keep them on track I think I will be a happy Panda.

My guess for books to trilogy would be:

1st movie: Gunslinger, Drawing of the Three

2nd Movie: The Wastelands, Wizard and Glass with the tale of Roland being a short flashback and ending with the beginning of Wolves of the Caya and ending at the Dogan,

3rd Movie: Wolves of the Caya, Song of Suzannah, The Dark Tower

Honestly I think it's too much info to cram into just 3 movies. They may cut out Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Caya entirely and try to use the series to tell those stories. Fun question though. Do you think King will play himself as the naval of Gan?:lol

My "perfect world" breakdown would be more like this:

The three movies should deal with Roland's youth and the world before the fall of Gilead, giving people a good solid grounding in the world. The ending should be Roland coming back to Gilead and seeing his home destroyed, and then setting out on his journey to find the dark tower.

The television series should pick up from there and tell the story of the ka-tet from the books and their struggles.

That's what I would REALLY like to see. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back