The Dark Tower (Post-release)

Re: I know there are other Dark Tower fans here

Wow, seriously underwhelmed. I have to admit I never finished the DT series but really liked the first 3 books or so, this doesn't seem to resemble that at all based on that trailer.

The filmmakers and King himself have already come out and said that the movie isn't a direct adaptation of the books, but more like Roland's story restarting. Just like how book 7 implies. If anyone else has read the Marvel comic version of this story, you'll know this isn't the only time this has been done. Hell, Stephen King made some pretty big revisions to the story when he re-released the first book.

If you love the novels, they're still there. This movie doesn't take away from them one bit.

Thanks for the post KhalDrogo. I hope this is still the case with this film.

I saw the trailer pop up on the RPF facebook feed, watched it, then came here to find this thread.

Loved the books and was hoping they would do a film some day. Was seriously underwhelmed / disappointed in the trailer, but am encouraged if this is truly the restarting of Roland's story.

Watched it at work and I was instantly pulled in. It looks and sounds fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

As for the books- there were so many, so I'm pretty confident that in the limited run here, they'll get the essence and best out of the series of novels.

I quite stoked about it after seeing this trailer!

I know there are other Dark Tower fans here

For the trailer, I've noticed two connections to other works:
1. At 0:40, there is a picture of the Overlook Hotel from The Shining on the table next to the books.
2. At 1:30 - A ride/fair attraction called Pennywise, which so happens to have a clown statue with balloons. A reference to It.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

From what I understand this is "..a sequel to the novels as well as a direct adaptation, with Roland in the next cycle of his journey to the Tower."

Last edited by a moderator:

This is my all time favourite book series, I read them at least once a year. I had my doubts about this film back when it was announced that Sony had the rights. After watching the trailer I am completely turned off by this adaptation of, er, sequel to my beloved Tower books.

I think they're taking the wrong approach with this. It could have been a great HBO series. A sci-if/western/fantasy series. They're kind of doing that already with Westworld but that's how The Dark Tower should be done as well.

I think they're taking the wrong approach with this. It could have been a great HBO series. A sci-if/western/fantasy series. They're kind of doing that already with Westworld but that's how The Dark Tower should be done as well.

From reports I've read, the DT TV series is still being developed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the interest of pure discussion, I'm wanting the opinion of someone who's a fan of the series, but down on the film.

Knowing how the series ends, AND, as has been mentioned before, several tales from the world have proven that there's a repeating cycle that can have big changes based on single decisions... Knowing all this, and that King & others involved in the film have said it's NOT a direct sequel but a 'LAST TIME AROUND', where is the hate coming from,?

I'm A HUGE fan of the series & most of King's work, so to finally see the end of the story is exciting to me. I've heard complaints elsewhere about everything from Jake's age, to the setting of the movie, to, of course, the ethnicity changes, but to me, they're all things that can be easily explained in the film's story.

So again, I'm just curious as to why, & I DO NOT mean this in a confrontation way, are fans not willing to give it a chance,?

In the interest of pure discussion, I'm wanting the opinion of someone who's a fan of the series, but down on the film.

Knowing how the series ends, AND, as has been mentioned before, several tales from the world have proven that there's a repeating cycle that can have big changes based on single decisions... Knowing all this, and that King & others involved in the film have said it's NOT a direct sequel but a 'LAST TIME AROUND', where is the hate coming from,?

I'm A HUGE fan of the series & most of King's work, so to finally see the end of the story is exciting to me. I've heard complaints elsewhere about everything from Jake's age, to the setting of the movie, to, of course, the ethnicity changes, but to me, they're all things that can be easily explained in the film's story.

So again, I'm just curious as to why, & I DO NOT mean this in a confrontation way, are fans not willing to give it a chance,?

I think its because most fans that like a particular book or books, want the movie to be about that book/books. They don't want a sequel, prequel​, or requel, ;-) The characters names in this movie are the same as the books. So you would think that the movie would be similar as well. I think fans of the books, which I am one, hoped for a movie based on those books. Theres no problem with Hollyweird making a different movie, its what they do. Its just like NuTrek and NuBsg, its just not "Our" Trek or Bsg. I think that most fans of the books are just disappointed that this movie is a bastardization of a beloved book series. Hollyweird doesn't care. It seems like they don't even care about making money either. If this movie appealed to the fans of the books, then they automatically make more money. Because non fans don't give a flip either way. They'll see it for various other reasons. They'll go for Matthew Mcconaughey or Idris Elba. Or maybe they think its enough like the books to buy a ticket. Real fans of the story in the books want a film that reflects the content of the books. They can put anything on the screen now with cgi, so theres no limit there. Its the story that matters. If it didn't, nobody would care.;

Last edited:

So...uh...this is coming out soon, right?

Next Friday, 8/4

Bah who cares.

The trailers are not the book series I've read over and over... I dunno what that is.

I've found that accepting the notion that this is a different turning of the wheel of ka than what we saw in the books has helped me find enthusiasm to see this movie. Also, my husband is very interested to see it, so I'll be taking him to the theater for it.

I appreciate your perspective, firesprite, but I just can't get myself there. This is a classic 'in name only' type of property hijacking. I do not support it.

I appreciate your perspective, firesprite, but I just can't get myself there. This is a classic 'in name only' type of property hijacking. I do not support it.

"Hijacking"? King seems pretty onboard...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back