The Dark Tower (Post-release)

Re: I know there are other Dark Tower fans here

I read the first 4 books multiple times, and the last 3, once... so I know the first half a lot better than the first.

The thing that strikes me most about everything I hear, from locations to casting, is that I have no idea where it sits in the book.

I definitely don't remember Jake having any kind of shining...

Or the Man in black having any interest in Jake other than him messing up Roland's quest (like taking out Robin to distract Batman)

The only "shine" I cand sort of think of is Jake's mind being torn between two worlds.

This could have been Game of Thrones if handles right... not sure why they went this route.... there is a PROVEN formula to how to make an epic book series into entertainment...

HBO.

Yeah, stuff like the Taheen and the vampire stuff comes from the later books. I'm surprised they're including that at all. Also it sounds like they're combining some of Jake with some of the Breaker characters that the Crimson King was using to try and take out the Beams. Really unusual choices they're making, but I'm still curious to see how this comes out. I loved the books and have read them all several times over. I've come to terms that this isn't going to be a literal adaptation.

Yeah, stuff like the Taheen and the vampire stuff comes from the later books. I'm surprised they're including that at all. Also it sounds like they're combining some of Jake with some of the Breaker characters that the Crimson King was using to try and take out the Beams. Really unusual choices they're making, but I'm still curious to see how this comes out. I loved the books and have read them all several times over. I've come to terms that this isn't going to be a literal adaptation.

Same boat. I'm going in interested in seeing if they at least get the heart of the story right... It may still be great, just a "based on themes and ideas as printed in the Dark Tower series"

Teaser of some sort came out... I'd link it but it didn't look anything like a dark tower movie should.. so didn't bother. :lol

I read the Dark Tower books as they were released and reread them all before each new book came out so you could say I'm a fan. Surprisingly I have absolutely no desire to see this whatsoever, everything I have read about the movie is uninspiring.

Last edited:

The description I heard was pretty iffy. This works ONLY if it's a sequel to King's books.

Side note, io9 has a write up of this just below a breathless article condemning the whitewashing of Mulan. No irony noted at all. Sigh.

I grew up reading King's books, but never read any of the Tower series. I started a little while ago, & finished book 2 last night. After reading what's being changed, & why, this is one of my most anticipated films next year.

I grew up reading King's books, but never read any of the Tower series. I started a little while ago, & finished book 2 last night. After reading what's being changed, & why, this is one of my most anticipated films next year.

You agree with with the changes? Interesting... why?

inalso envy that you haven't read wastelands of wizards and glass... so damn good.

You agree with with the changes? Interesting... why?

inalso envy that you haven't read wastelands of wizards and glass... so damn good.

Well, due to the changes, I'm considering this a sequel instead of an adaptation, & that's how I'm reading the books. Due to the amount of time the series has been concluded, I've heard how it ends, so to me, this is almost like a 'butterfly effect' kind of story. Just in The Drawing of the Three, there's been one huge change involving Jake. I don't know how this will affect the story going forward, but to me it's been established that actions can & will change things & characters going forward.

I know that in the movie, Roland has an item of major importance that he doesn't have in the books, so all bets are off as to how the story in the film progresses.

I'll give you an example of what kind of things I love - I'm a fan of Lev Grossman's series of books, The Magicians. When they did the TV series on SyFy, I was curiously optimistic. One major change was eliminating a main character, & replacing her with another character that was almost the exact same. It was done because another character had a similar name, & the producers felt it would confuse the audience. Without giving away too much there was a revelation that the reason things were different in the books from the show, is that the characters are the same, just in a different reality. The greatest moment to me, was when a character referred to the TV character by the book character's name. When she corrected them, they responded with. "This time you are.". In the narrative of the show something fans had complained about since the cast was announced, had suddenly become a plot point that was both an Easter egg to the book fans, & something that advanced the story to a whole other level.

Stuff like that makes me grin & excites me.

The filmmakers and King himself have already come out and said that the movie isn't a direct adaptation of the books, but more like Roland's story restarting. Just like how book 7 implies. If anyone else has read the Marvel comic version of this story, you'll know this isn't the only time this has been done. Hell, Stephen King made some pretty big revisions to the story when he re-released the first book.

If you love the novels, they're still there. This movie doesn't take away from them one bit.

The filmmakers and King himself have already come out and said that the movie isn't a direct adaptation of the books, but more like Roland's story restarting. Just like how book 7 implies. If anyone else has read the Marvel comic version of this story, you'll know this isn't the only time this has been done. Hell, Stephen King made some pretty big revisions to the story when he re-released the first book.

If you love the novels, they're still there. This movie doesn't take away from them one bit.
My feeling exactly.

Stephen King tweeted a new poster for the Dark Tower film

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/843451802322440193

C7SKxMfU4AAU2np.jpg

I want to be excited for this...but meh. King novels are very hit and miss when adapted, and all the world building in this series does not lend well to a single movie. I would be much more enthused if HBO had a shot and put out a series, ala Game Of Thrones style.

I will say that I do like the casting choices.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back