First Pics of Captain American, and Emma Frost from X-Men: First Class

The comics goes lips. no lips all the time.

if I remember right In the golden age comics it was just a mask and then in the silver age comics he gets hit with his own red skull gas and it becomes real red flesh. The 60's version has lips though.

Golden age-

captainamerica16l.jpg

60's-

92028-red-skull_400.jpg

90's i think?
redskull.jpg

Current storyline has both?

redskul-thankfull.jpg

CA1.jpg

page-5-red-skull-masterplan-finally-spelled-out.jpg

Grrrr...
4536995655_bc3d817fe4_z.jpg

6a00d8341c801b53ef0134841551c9970c-800wi

tumblr_l5fthwOwYX1qbmcovo1_500.jpg

Nick

The problem for me in having a character without lips in a live-action movie is that you know at least subconsciously (if not consciously) that you need lips in order to speak. If you see a skull with enunciated words coming out of it's mouth, it's going to look really fake and puppet-like I think.

That ('90s) Feb. #14 comic cover looks great and he's got lips there - not pronounced lips but they're there.

Just my two cents, mind you...

redskull.jpg

The problem for me in having a character without lips in a live-action movie is that you know at least subconsciously (if not consciously) that you need lips in order to speak. If you see a skull with enunciated words coming out of it's mouth, it's going to look really fake and puppet-like I think.

Not if you know it's a mask.

"Hitler wanted to create the most terrifying Nazi of all, and he had Schmidt wear a red skull mask to enhance his horrors. (Later, an accident with one of Schmidt's poisonous cocktails turns him into a real red skull.)" [source: an online article about Hugo Weaving]

So the jury is out as to whether it's going to be a mask (not needing lips), or a horribly disfigured face, or both. I for one am a fan of the traditional heavy-browed RS from the 60's, which is the storyline that I read as a kid.

"Hitler wanted to create the most terrifying Nazi of all, and he had Schmidt wear a red skull mask to enhance his horrors. (Later, an accident with one of Schmidt's poisonous cocktails turns him into a real red skull.)" [source: an online article about Hugo Weaving]

So the jury is out as to whether it's going to be a mask (not needing lips), or a horribly disfigured face, or both. I for one am a fan of the traditional heavy-browed RS from the 60's, which is the storyline that I read as a kid.

Interesting that they recycled the same "mask stuck to head" thing for the original Baron Zemo, too.

Good point. I have never read Captain America as much as other comics so I was thinking of it only in terms of it being his real face.

I suppose one way to do it might be the 'hideously scarred' look and then have him wear a mask over that. Kind of a Phantom of the Opera type of thing...

The Skeletor makeup wasn't half bad either. Maybe a combination of something like that with the CGI they used for Two-Face in the Dark Knight could be cool too. I'll definitely be curious to see what they wind up doing with it.

More info regarding the Red Skull look...

I'll have an in-depth report on the visit in a few months, but all I can say is wait until you see the Red Skull make-up. Really great stuff, mostly practical with Hugo Weaving's nose painted black, to be removed in post... the rest is a 3 1/2 hours a day prosthetic appliance job.
Source: Oh my God! The Captain America Super Soldier Serum has gone horribly wrong! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Also has a nice shot of the shield...
capnquint.jpg

Seems they went for a "textured" shield. Now it looks like it is made from different parts and not a single solid piece.

Check out this pic of Chris Evans on the set of Captain America. Wow... it appears he has bulked up CONSIDERABLY for the role which I think is very cool. That looks more like a Captain America physique to me. Looking forward to seeing what he looks like in the costume.

attachment.php

...as far as the pinstripes???? WWII Cap didn't have pinstripes!

Not pinstripes - herringbone twill.
It's what U.S.G.I. fatigues were made of in WWII.
I think it shows great attention to detail.

What I don't like is the European leather pouches on the belt.
I'd rather see a U.S. BAR belt, like Cap's wearing in the con pic in #61.

Well seeing that Cap was frozen from the end of WWII to (prolly) shortly after the end of IM2, it might make sense that the (hypothetic) creator of the shield's son might have a copy of the shield or have a prototype of a new one.

I think in the mini comic that came with the first IM movie 2 pack it was the prototype because in the comic he coats the armor with a layer of the material it is made out of. if i can find the comic i'll scan the page.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back