The Burbs?

Awsome thread! Possibly my favorite film or certainly top 5.

Im not sure if there is going to be much out there, but I have got a copy of the script stamped revised draft 1988.

Its great to see some of the differences between what was written and what was shot.

tbip2001

Love this movie. I don't recall any really notable props. Carrie Fisher was the perfect wife in this movie.

One of my favourite flicks....love Rumsfield! "...bout a 9 on the old tension scale, eh Rube?"

I think Dr. Klopek's painting would be a cool prop to have...

Ha ha, yeah that's a good line, right after eh said nnnnno! (I think)

That's the only prop I could see, found and interesting article about the street at Universal's Backlot where The Burbs was shot, must see if I can find it again...

Did you know it's the same street Desperate Housewives is now shot in?, and a fair bit of it is still the same, Rumsfield's house is the house from Deep Impact and also Suzan Meyer's house in DH... played by Terri Hatcher of course! Speaking of which, I know it's not the right place but anyone here interested in owning a BIG film reel of Tomorrow Never dies? 35mm Cinema Reel...

Get digging folks, see what's out there from The Burbs, I wonder where the spire from the Klopeks house ended up (apart from through a cop car)

Yeah, Rumsfield is a great character. I love the scene on the roof when he's talking on the walkie talkie. I recall he eats animal crackers with milk too. That take down he does is great. I believe it's "hey pinocchio! Where are you going!"

Ha ha yeah the pinocchio line always gets a laugh, especially the way he slips and then Rumsfield slips in under him! Classic!

"i want to kill-- everyone. satan is good. satan is my pal."

LOVE the 'burbs! my dad swears up and down that he ran into the red head "pinocchio" guy at a gas station in socal.

that's about all i have to add to this thread.

I found it, here's the link;

the studiotour.com - Universal Studios Hollywood - Colonial Street

It's called Colonial Street... Universal Back Lot..

Check it out, if you click on each house it gives a bit of history about each.. Rumsfeild's house has practically stayed the same since the burbs apart from some minor changes to the windows... right up to present day.

Seems they moved "Walters" home out of the way to connect the street up with what's known as Circular Drive... and that house is also still the very same... I think it's "Katherine's" house in DH

Anyway, interesting history about the street on there...

Lol....been waiting for you to show up on this thread^....awesome avatar!

"That kid next door's a meatball..."

I'm thinking there'd be some other props that'd be worthwhile like Art's pellet gun, the "femur bone"....

Lol....been waiting for you to show up on this thread^....awesome avatar!

"That kid next door's a meatball..."

I'm thinking there'd be some other props that'd be worthwhile like Art's pellet gun, the "femur bone"....

Ha ha yeah Rumsfield's here, nice avatar!

The Burbs? - Evolution of a house!

OK, So I came across these on that site (all courtesy of a guy called universalstonecutter)...

The Klopek House after filming The Burbs (note the Garage in left hand side)
2991158812_1dd99be809_z.jpg

The Klopek House in "Leave It To Beaver" (again see the Garage)
3108025343_f24f72f7e8_z.jpg

The Klopek House remodelled as it is now, see how the Garage has survived!
Desperate_Housewives29.jpg

I think there's more photo's of it before The Burbs, was called the Marcus Welby house, but think that was moved to storage so The Klopek house could be built... anyway just thought I'd share that!

Oh and just while I'm on the subject of houses, here's the REAL Amityville House (not the movie set house, the actual house it all started from)

Amityville_house.JPG

Red rover, red rover...... Ahh what a classic movie, it was over here not so long back, havent laughed at a movie in a while, but thats probably as ive not watched the 'burbs in a while.

Lee

I've never seen that...

I've never seen someone drive their garbage to the curb and then beat the hell out of it.

I- I've never seen that.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back