The I HATE PAWN stars thread!

This is awesome, THIS is the place to BE! You really seem like cool people to hang out with.

So here are the basics that went down in this thread:

1) You posted a HATE thread with your opinion about how you hate certain people for how they make money in their business.
2) Established members posted their opinions about what is "factual in commerce"
3) You feel attacked because adults are talking and you don't want to hear what they are saying
4) You make blanket statements about how the people are and how this place(the RPF) is.

Do you see where this went wrong?

If not, let me help you. It's somewhere between 1 and 2 of the above. I won't get into the post count or time frame that you have been here. (kind sorta did there didn't I?)

Here is my suggestion.

1) Take a break from this forum.
2) Go make a cool prop.
3) Post a thread about it in the Prop Forum.
4) Post on a few prop threads with some great info and feedback
5) Repeat steps 2-4 for about a year

Then you might want to post in the OT.

Last edited:
My mother sold an Elvis bracelet she bought for $5 on ebay for $330. Did she fleece the buyer? Of course not. If the sellers on the show don't want to sell at the price offered, they don't have to.

And what is a "fair" price, anyway? Please define that.

Scott

If anyone should know about values of things it should be us, majority of us collect things. The real VALUE is not what someone says it is, it's what some one will offer to buy it for! Want the current price on something? Check ebay and that is what people are willing to pay for things!

I see NO problem with how the Pawn Star guys give offers. They're running a FOR PROFIT business. If people get quoted for an item that would hit $10,000 at auction... well take it to the auction, wait for it to happen, hopefully it will get bid on, pay the Auction house fees... otherwise I'll give you $2,500 in cash RIGHT NOW! In today's economy businesses and I assume even more so for Pawn Shops, inventory needs to be kept low and turning. Why get stuck with something that will hang around in your store for 5 years waiting for that one collector to come in??? It's just NOT practical business!

- Jeff

If you ask me (which nobody did, by the way) fleecing occurs when there is dishonesty involved. For example, imagine this scenario:

1. Seller brings in item of unknown value.
2. Buyer brings in a shill appraiser, who undervalues the item significantly, at the behest of the buyer.
3. Buyer purchases item from seller at fifty percent of phony appraised value.

THIS is a bummer. Does it happen all the time? Sure. Is this what happens on Pawn Stars? I don't think so.

What you have on Pawn Stars is an almost textbook case of traditional commerce in action. Someone has an item of value that they are trying to sell for the highest price possible. The buyer wants the item, has cash, and wants to buy the item at the lowest possible price. They negotiate and settle on a price. BOTH parties are completely capable of NOT participating in the exchange. Nobody is under duress (ie, gunpoint) to sell for less than what they want.

Anyhow, that's all I've got.

Now, here's a GOOD reason to hate pawn stars: because that guy Chumly is a frickin' tool. ;)

Hey I'm a good and honest guy but...

Everytime I go into an antiques shop or the like, and see a pile of old cameras... I ALWAYS hope that there will be a nice flash that is worth nothing to the owner.

And all of you do too!

None of you would take a mint graflex, Kobald etc up to the counter and say hey man, I think this price of $10 dollars is unfair to you!!! LOLOL!!!

It's just the way the world works!

"Sometimes you eat the bear. And well... sometimes the bear... he eats you dude."

Know what you have before you sell it!!! I have all kinds of "stuff" but I don't sell it to pawn shops.

I am in the middle of starting a buisness (Again) and am scrounging up all I can and selling several possesions. But I would let it all go to hell before I pawn my watch, or my old Vette! Or any of my guitars!

But if any of you need some mint glass T-tops or a 56 Les paul HOLLAR at me! LOL!

My point is I am boarderline desperate. If a few miracles of God don't come through with my partner... yeah. But I'm still not taking ANYTHING of value to the pawn shop!

There is the internet. And anything I can't find... I can ask and get a pretty good lead from the RPF.

My advice to the OP is know who you are talking to on the worlds largest prop forum before you start making enemies. And also be willing to have people with adverse opinions post in your thread of bashing... ANYTHING!

Hell there are shows that I can't stand that people collect props from. And if I made an "officially your show sucks" thread I would catch some flack.

Know that most of the people who you wouldn't want to **** off have posted in this thread. And the fact that MicDavis stood up for you? That's scarier than anything else!

Know that I don't hate you, or think you are stupid! I just think you shoulda sat back and observed before starting an argument over such a trivial show.

Most opposing oppinions here are simply trying to state that you are missing the big picture and in the grand scheme of life...

This show is nothing compared to the shadyness of the world.

Here is my suggestion.

1) Take a break from this forum.
2) Go make a cool prop.
3) Post a thread about it in the Prop Forum.
4) Post on a few prop threads with some great info and feedback
5) Repeat steps 2-4 for about a year

Then you might want to post in the OT.
Didnt ask for the suggestion (whats this so I can join your rpf gang or something)?
Im not welcome in this part of the boards?
Are you serious?

Didnt ask for the suggestion (whats this so I can join your rpf gang or something)?
Im not welcome in this part of the boards?
Are you serious?

Again, let me say...

No one hates you dude. There aren't pitchforks and torches. (yet) :angel

Just know that yes, most of the people, who know people, who you would want to know, and or talk to... have posted in this thread.

You really don't want to make enemies with... any of the people in your thread. I am not threatening you. I am trying to give you advice.

Let it go.

You are talking to a group of people who aren't so much "friends" or a "click" but we know each other and discuss all manner of things. Often we dissagree. But you are taking offense. You aren't willing to see any point of view but your own.

Again, I would drop it.

You don't like the show and think people are being treated unfairly...

We get it.

You can't see that the show is not only mostly scripted. But even when not, that they are actually fair in telling the seller how much the shop will re-sell an item for.

We get that.

"Move along, move along."

/\ qft

Not mad at you. You just need to take a breath and realize that we all have differing opinions. When you post a thread like this you open it to everyone and their opposing beliefs.

Hang in there tr09, you'll soon be as angry as Micdavis. ;)

Never ceases to amaze me that people read angry in simple statements of fact.

Cynical, absolutely, angry, not at all.

I'm one of happiest, smiling people I know. My boss (for 17 years) used to call me Smiley.

Projection, look it up.

Never ceases to amaze me that people read angry in simple statements of fact.

I'm one of happiest, smiling people I know. My boss (for 17 years) used to called me Smiley.

Projection, look it up.

Lighten up Smiley... ;)

Lighten%2BUp%2BFrancis1092318449.jpg

Just kidding. You're alright in my book Mike!

Yeah I like Mike too. ;)

But you always do kinda play Devil's advocate. If everyone is all smiles about something... you have a negative comment.

If everyone is all against something.... You say lighten up! :p

(yet somehow almost always make a good point!)

Ken get on the left with the pitchforks I'll stand on the right with the torches brad break out the zippo! :D

Love the show and a huge fan of the Old Man!

Again, let me say...

No one hates you dude. There aren't pitchforks and torches. (yet) :angel

Hey, I got $100 for some old roman coins I paid $35 at an antique mall. sure if I wanted to wait 3 weeks I prob could have sold them for $300 + But I wanted money, and I was happy with $100. and those coins were 1600-1700 years old.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back