gmprops Phaser builds - tips, tricks and showoff thread

-E-

I've been working on my dustbuster with Gerry's electronics for the last week or so and I finally finished it up yesterday. Gerry suggested that we should have a place to share building tips and tricks and and a place to show off our finished phasers. So here we go ...

I went into this kind of blindly. I've never installed electronics like this before so I went through trial and error with a few things. This is all what worked for me.

The first problem with the dustbuster was finding a "window" for the LEDs on the power meter. I contacted Mike at HMS and he said the used these ...

LED BAR GRAPH 10SEG GREEN - HDSP-4850

It worked great!

Everything was then painted up nicely (I was lucky enough to find a can of Krylon Stone Gray) and clear coated.

I used a dremel to shape the power meter. It needs to be shaved down quite a bit to get a good fit. Ultimately I used the sanding bit on the dremel and carved a lip around the top of the meter so that it would fit in like a plug.

For the buttons I used a button panel for an old calculator. They worked perfectly because they were flexible enough to insert through the holes that were dremeled earlier and I was able to insert them after the electronics were glued in place. They stay in place quite nicely but can also be easily removed if needed.

Lastly was the speaker placement. I tried a bunch of different spots and found that the best area was way in back of the main body with the speaker facing foward. It was secured in place with a velcro tab. It is loud as hell! I'm very happy I didn't end up having to drill any speaker holes.

Finally some show off pics and a video.

YOUTUBE VIDEO

Last edited:
Nice start to this thread! I love that Dustbuster! Thanks Erik!

Now all we need is someone to post their experiences with building a Dolphin phaser with electronics. Myron has a separate thread going on the Cricket phaser build.

Gerry

I have always wanted to do the electronics for the TNG phasers. There have been some excellent electronic kits done by other builders in the past but they seem to have all disappeared.

Now I want to complete the TNG line by getting the Boomerang and Cobra Head electronics released. But I am having trouble generating enough interest. I chalk it up to the summer season. Nobody has any money left to buy props after the family vacations and getting the kids ready for school. :wacko

Wow! You work fast, Erik. That's an even more beautiful build than your first Dustbusters (and that one was pretty sweet)!

And thank, Gerry, for making these electronics. They are great. I was out of collecting when the last wave of phaser electronics hit and by the time I got back in, they had all stopped being made. So, for me, these are a godsend.

Now I want to complete the TNG line by getting the Boomerang and Cobra Head electronics released. But I am having trouble generating enough interest. I chalk it up to the summer season. Nobody has any money left to buy props after the family vacations and getting the kids ready for school. :wacko

I'd eventually like to get a set of cricket and cobra head phasers. But you're right, my summer fun money is starting to wear thin. I'd definitely be up for some soon, though, so I hope you will keep them available for a while.

Wow! You work fast, Erik. That's an even more beautiful build than your first Dustbusters (and that one was pretty sweet)!

Thanks a lot. I've learned a bit since the first dustbuster build. :cool

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back