Super Mario Bros. Stomper Boot

Starfighter29

I've posted this over on YourProps over the weekend, but figured there might be a few more interested folks here who would want to see this as well.

First of all, I have to express a huge amount of thanks & gratitude to Sal & Mike for bringing this item to my attention and helping me acquire one of my few holy grails! So THANK YOU guys! :thumbsup

This is one of the only SMB Stomper Boots known to still exist as most of them were destroyed after filming wrapped. Quite a shame for what I consider the coolest prop of the film. I've been searching for one of these boots for over 10 years! This particular boot is made of foam rubber and was one of the boots worn by Bob Hoskins & John Leguizamo for when they had to move around or run in them (i.e. rooftop of the Boom Boom Bar & the elevator scene). It's very exciting to see these boots from angles that weren't seen in the film, such as the back and bottom of the boot.

I also want to thank another member here for giving me some of the backstory on these boots since he worked on them, so another shout out goes to 8-perf! Thanks Mark!

Enjoy!

LeftFront1-small.jpg

LeftSide-small.jpg

RightSide-small.jpg

RightRear1-small.jpg

Bottom1-small.jpg

hahahaha! this RULES!! i know there are only a handfull of us that were actually entertained by the movie, so that just makes this even more special!!

lol. It wasn't the worst game movie but it coulda been alot better. Actually the storyline wasn't that bad, it just like alot of films didn't get made well. (Waterworld anyone? I mean the book based on the original script of that was great). the worst game movie was double dragon.

Yeah I have always felt like SMB has gotten a bad wrap... There are much more horrid video game translations out there.

I actually have to give them credit for taking the SMB concept and thinking outside the box with it. One thing I love about the props is that there was a great amount of detail that went into every aspect of them as well as the costumes and production design.

I have a great amount of respect for all of the effort the crew put into the film which is why I am so glad to find items still in existence such as this one!

Yeah I have always felt like SMB has gotten a bad wrap... There are much more horrid video game translations out there.

I actually have to give them credit for taking the SMB concept and thinking outside the box with it. One thing I love about the props is that there was a great amount of detail that went into every aspect of them as well as the costumes and production design.

I have a great amount of respect for all of the effort the crew put into the film which is why I am so glad to find items still in existence such as this one!

I always thought they may have run into budget problems during filming because it seemed kinda rushed and thrown together at times. Double Dragon was just going to be a tough one without it coming off like Fist of the north star since both were post apocalyptic. I still think Mortal Kombat was one of the best game movies so far.

now i have to find SMB on amazon and get it..and the capt. lou tv show lol

Were the Hero Boots destroyed also?

No the hero boots weren't destroyed. I saw them in person on display at Disney/MGM Studios in June of 1993 right after the film came out, however there has been no sign of those boots being in anyone's private collection. I speculate that they may still be in the Disney Archives.

Now, on the other hand, I have spoken with multiple SMB crew members and all of them have confirmed that most of the foam boots were thrown away. Only a few were saved by folks who pulled them out of the dumpster and I only know of 4 that might have been saved that way.

Cobalt, I don't think that the production ran into budgetary problems as much as poor directing and constant script rewrites. As far as I know, the production schedule wasn't cut short.

Now, on the other hand, I have spoken with multiple SMB crew members and all of them have confirmed that most of the foam boots were thrown away. Only a few were saved by folks who pulled them out of the dumpster and I only know of 4 that might have been saved that way.
Haha, I hear that same story all the time for all different movie props. I should just drive up to LA every weekend and go dumpster diving :D

Haha with that in mind I guess it's too bad collecting props has turned into such a hobby/business... Now people know that just about any sort of prop has some value to someone out there. I don't think that was as much a frame of mind back in 93 when these were thrown away. Crew members probably kept them simply because they looked cool and they so much time invested in them. They were a memento.

It's like classic Corvettes, back in the 70s/80s there were junkyards full of 50s & 60s year model Vettes. I bet almost every single one of them has been salvaged and is back on the road in some form nowadays...

I saw an awesome Flamethrower build a while back. It was made from a Nintendo Super Scope originally wasn't it?

Actually it was the Devo guns that were built from the Super Scopes. But yeah they weren't modified too much from the original guns. And of course, once again, I've been told most of the Devo guns built were destroyed after filming wrapped. More dumpster diving for you! :lol

There is only one screen used flamethrower gun I've seen... It was one of the smaller ones carried by the Goombas and is now in a private collection. The one Koopa has at the end of the film is a larger gun. Never seen that one show up anywhere.

GREAT score, man!

SMB is an absolutely awful movie, but it's incredibly fun. i've loved it to death since i was a kid.

i read an early draft of the script from around '90 or '91 that was a completely different take on the material. it was a straight-up fantasy adaptation of the games, complete with power-ups, dungeons and pipes.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back