"Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 11-28-10) w/ VIDEO

Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build

Well, this thread inspired me to dig out and photograph my sculpt. I really need to get this finished some time.

rotld_barrel_zombie_sculpt_progress_1_full.jpg

rotld_barrel_zombie_sculpt_progress_2_face.jpg

rotld_barrel_zombie_sculpt_progress_3_hand.jpg

Ok that is just creepy. I mean did you have to use flesh colored clay...... LOL Just kidding!! That looks fantastic, the details on the hands is amazing. The hands are absolutely beautiful. The joints in the fingers, the melting/rotting flesh, the eyelids, hell everything! Great job, You really need to finish that sculpt!

Looks great Knightjar! If you want more pics of my head cast for detailing, etc then just shoot me a PM. I'd love a cast of the hands you've done to go with my head.

Anyone know where to buy the Scotch Brite Red Pads? Looked at Wal-mart but they didn't have them. Wouldn't sand paper get the job done?

Anyone know where to buy the Scotch Brite Red Pads? Looked at Wal-mart but they didn't have them. Wouldn't sand paper get the job done?

How about a hardware store or a home improvement store like Home Depot?

That's what I was thinking. I've already sanded about 60% of the outside of it. Got some strong sandpaper too, so the surface should be pretty well scuffed up by the time I'm done.

Gonna snap a pic later with the ring on it.

Just check with an automotive paint supply store, they should have them! For sandpaper try to get around 320 grit. If you get too course like 180, 80 grit, you may endup having sand scratches show through the paint.Then again that could be a good thing!

What's the diameter of the drum lid? We don't seem to have any 55 gallon drums here in the UK (and shipping for one from the US would be outragous) so I may look at making one from scratch from sheet styrene.

Whew, that sucks! I wonder why they don't have them there? I saw quite a few driving around doing deliveries today at a tractor supply place, and a Chevron. I think they must have both been filled with Oil or something else though. I'll check the measurements on it in a little bit.

I tried getting the ring on and its still being a major pain in the a**! Still more sanding to do tonight!

Anyone have any idea what the dome lids might be made from? I originally thought BBQ lids, but they look like they're shaped differently.

What's the diameter of the drum lid? We don't seem to have any 55 gallon drums here in the UK (and shipping for one from the US would be outragous) so I may look at making one from scratch from sheet styrene.

They are used pretty abundantly in manufacturing plants... particularly in those that use chemicals. The problem is that they are seldom sold afterward. If you have any friends in a vocation that might use them, you could ask them about getting one. Companies usually have no problem giving them to their employees, depending on what was in them before.

With some help I was able to get the ring back around the top edge, it had to be removed to cut off the top so once the ring was put back it'd cover the seam. In the process of taking a few snaps the camera died, so the batteries are re-charging. I'll get the new pics up tomorrow of my progress.

Here's my current progress. I've reattached the top ring, cut the window in the lid, and done quite a bit of sanding.

I started cutting the frame for the window that's going to be bolted on, but slipped while sawing it and took a chuck of my knuckle off, lol.

I think I'll finish it up today though, and maybe get some holes drilled for the led for the key-panel.

BarrelMoreSanding.jpg

God, the top part scares me. I can't find anything really close to what I need for the dome top.

At the pool yesterday I saw some kids playing with something that looked like it might work. A saucer sled! The first thing I thought of was the one from Christmas Vacation. Of course, I can't seem to find anything like that online aside for a red steel one. They say that the measurements are 26'' across though. The barrel is only about 22.5 to 23 inches across...

Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build (New Pic Page 3)

With a good zombie in there, and perhaps some coloured internal lighting shining on it's face (sure, so it's not really accurate...), this is going to look wicked! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back