"Return of the Living Dead 2" Zombie Barrel Build (UPDATE 11-28-10) w/ VIDEO

Re: Return of the Living Dead Zombie Barrel Build

Side note, I have the comic they are reading in the car on the way to the cemetery. If I can find it I will scan it for freebie in the paper prop section.

Mighty generous of you!

Anyone know where to find the keypads at?

Ah yes, one of my favorite zombie series. Unfortunatly after the third one they went WAY down hill, but they are still cheesy and good, like a pizza......like a pizza (putting away the Morgan Freeman voice now)

I must say I did like Julia in the third film (and even more when she popped up on CSI as Mistress Heather.) but the first film has the honor of being the first horror film to actually freak me out! Ever since I first saw Tarman I have been very Leary of any OD Green barrels.

I actually did something like this for Halloween a few years back using an old garbage can. I put an air cylinder in it to propel a zombie mask up, and had fog billowing out the top. I also had a strobe light in it flashing very fast. Good times..... Good times.

I look forward to your progress since I have two plastic barrels sitting next to my garage that are begging to be turned into something like this.

I was thinking about installing a fog machine inside of it. Be kinda cool if it could shoot out from the top somewhere. All the extra inside space could be used for anything really. I know I'm going to install some LEDS inside for the side key-panel lights.

Should look pretty cool by the time Halloween rolls around!

Anyone know what they used for the DOME tops? Looks like the top of a bbq?

Here's some screen caps of the barrel I'm working toward. Notice that the different ones have different designs at the top. The one at the back left looks like its based off the design of the first movie. The others look newer.

And there's a pic of the template I made for the lid and plexi-glass, and some sanding done on the barrel.

Excellent. I think the drum you started with will be perfect. The placement of the bungs and outside wall of the drum is pretty spot on. Hopefully you kept at least one of the lids.

Not sure what that dome top is.

The keypad is interesting. It only has 6 numbers on it and some sort of blue and red triangle... which may correspond the red and blue lights.

The paint-up is really going to be what sells it.

O.k., I know this may not be much help, but I'm a huge Return of the living Dead Fan! I was able to go to Monsterpalooza in Burbank in April, and I meet the whole cast, but James Karen, and Clu Gulager. I later meet James Karen at Wonderfest. Anyways, When I was at Monsterpalooza, a vender was selling "Tarman" Half head sculpt's for $100.00. I was so consumed with everything going on that I did'nt think to buy one. I have looked far and wide since then to get one, but I have been unable to find out who cast them. I'm still kicking myself in the a## for not getting it when I was there, but I'm going to look through the program from the show. I might be able too find out the vendor who made them. Here's a pick of me with "chuck" holding a sculpt he purchased for himself!

Yeah true. A guy that did one gave me some tips on the paint, but I'm always listening if anyone's got any good advice on the painting. Colors, technique or anything really. He recommended using Krylon Fushion Hunter Green as a base (after the layers of primer). And then said to use a bunch of nasty colored oil-based paints and mix them together and spray them from a spray bottle at the top, letting it drip down the sides.

It looks like the top sticker says:

ENTER ACCESS MEMBER CODE

ENTER COLOR CODE

ACTIVATE __________ ___________

Oh, before you go cakeing paint on the barrel, you may want to do some paint preping! First you need to clean the outside with warm soapy ( no aloe! ) water to remove any contaminants from the surface. Than get some red scotch brite pads and scuff it down real good. This will let the paint grab into the plastic better. Then clean the plastic again to remove what you scuffed. When you get it nice and clean, and ready to paint, go to your local auto paint supply shop, and get some plastic adhesion promoter. They have it in spray cans, a good brand is "bulldog adhesion promoter". This helps make paint stick, to all sorts of plastics. You just need to apply 1 good coat to the whole canister,then let it set for about 15 minutes. After that, apply your first overall color! This may sound like a pain, but if you want the paint to stick the best it can stick, follow these rules! As far as the fusion paint goes,I have yet to see it really make a difference in adhesion. The other factor that causes the paint to come off is bending, or flexing the plastic. This is where adhesion promoter comes in. In the end there is still a chance for the paint to scratch, and chip off, but this will really help out in the long run.

Last edited:

Thanks for the tips! I've been sanding for a while now, so that should help the adhesion.

Last edited:

Nice!!! Never seen one that's the melted version (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

The melted version was made by the same guy I bought the pre-melt version from. I remember he had the melted version up on eBay a while after I bought the pre-melt version. Both were done from original molds.

Omg this was one of the first zombie movies (among a million) I was exposed to to desensitize me to horror films and so holds a very special place in my heart. I can't wait to see how this build goes! And taking notes in case I ever have a need to decorate... >:3

They may not discuss the barrels in the commentary but they do talk about how things were done on the cheap. There's a scene they point out where the General who has been searching for the barrels gets on the phone and takes notes - if the look at the phone cord it's coming unglued from the counter. It's pretty funy

Yeah true. A guy that did one gave me some tips on the paint, but I'm always listening if anyone's got any good advice on the painting. Colors, technique or anything really. He recommended using Krylon Fushion Hunter Green as a base (after the layers of primer). And then said to use a bunch of nasty colored oil-based paints and mix them together and spray them from a spray bottle at the top, letting it drip down the sides.

It looks like the top sticker says:

ENTER ACCESS MEMBER CODE

ENTER COLOR CODE

ACTIVATE __________ ___________

The top says ACCESS INSTRUCTIONS

I think the first line actually says ENTER ACCESS NUMBER CODE

Also, it looks like the last line says ACTIVATE RELEASE _________
Perhaps HANDLE is the final word?

Thoughts?

The top says ACCESS INSTRUCTIONS

I think the first line actually says ENTER ACCESS NUMBER CODE

Also, it looks like the last line says ACTIVATE RELEASE _________
Perhaps HANDLE is the final word?

Thoughts?

Hey, yeah I think you're right. It didn't sound like Member Code made much sense, lol. I'm betting you're right on the third one too. I didn't even notice the top part of the sticker.

I saw that link, that's actually the same guy that gave me the instructions on the painting. He did a great job on it, although I don't care much for the wires coming out the front. We exchanged a few messages but he never really told me why he didn't make the dome top to it. My guess is he made so many it would have been even more time consuming to make the lids for them all, I think he said he made 12 or something along those lines.

He says he sold one to a store in Pittsburgh in the Monroeville Mall over there. I'm assuming that it was Time and Space Toys. He says its still on display there today. Pretty cool!

Man I've wanted to do one of these for years just never had the room! This is looking great......I be watching this one!

Hey, yeah I think you're right. It didn't sound like Member Code made much sense, lol. I'm betting you're right on the third one too. I didn't even notice the top part of the sticker.

I saw that link, that's actually the same guy that gave me the instructions on the painting. He did a great job on it, although I don't care much for the wires coming out the front. We exchanged a few messages but he never really told me why he didn't make the dome top to it. My guess is he made so many it would have been even more time consuming to make the lids for them all, I think he said he made 12 or something along those lines.

He says he sold one to a store in Pittsburgh in the Monroeville Mall over there. I'm assuming that it was Time and Space Toys. He says its still on display there today. Pretty cool!

Yeah, he seems to have made an idealized version rather than a movie accurate version, though his do look very cool! I noticed he didn't have the keypad on his and the phone number to call was an 800 number instead of 311. But, they still are cool nonetheless.

I'm definitely looking forward to how yours turns out!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back