WIP My first female portrait sculpt - (Leeloo) Milla Jovovich NEW PICS 9/23

Re: WIP My first female portrait sculpt - Can you guess who it is?

Fantastic work. I could tell it was Milla from the first pic, no doubt in my mind.

You are really knocking this out of the park!

Amazing likeness, great job!

-Robb

you nailed the chin btw :thumbsup

its really great to see someone taking (and looking for) constructive criticism without taking offence.

some more higher profile sculptors on here would bite your head off if you even hinted that their work could be improved

several sets of eyes are better than a single pair!

it gets better and better with each update....well done to you and your wife.

-z

I'm glad you guys are liking this, I don't want to rush this but I'm so anxious to see this painted up with eyes and wig on.
I'm going to try my hand at making the eye myself to get the correct colors and pupil size.

Zorg - Thanks for your comment. Unless I suddenly get the ability to work like a 3D scanner/printer, I know I'll always have plenty of room for improvement.
I'm self taught at all the things I do art-wise so any new tips or ways to improve are more than welcome. I probably don't sculpt the way it's "supposed" to be done, so I'm willing to try different approaches as long as it gets good results.

All constructive feedback is good feedback, since it helps me take a look at things in a different perspective.

My wife has been a huge help, if she says something is "fine", it means it's not exactly what she was thinking, so I work on it until she says she loves it.

I couldn't even see where it needed improvement! Good on you to not only take the constructive criticism, but apply it to perfection!

My old karate instructors oldest son is very close friends with Mila. I may be able to get in touch with him still... I bet he would love to see this!

Can't wait to see it with hair and eyes either! :)

It definitely looks like Milla.
There is something about the jaw line, though, that irks me. I can not put my finger on exactly what it is that makes it so, but I find it a bit too masculine to be Milla. The same goes for the neck, too sinewy than my impression of Milla.
I also think that her real nose could be a little bit sharper than your sculpt, but I am not sure.

I probably don't sculpt the way it's "supposed" to be done, so I'm willing to try different approaches as long as it gets good results.
There is no accurate way to sculpt, so you can dump that out of your head right now. There are techniques and approaches developed that can aid you in achieving a particular look and style, but sculpting is as personal as breathing and it is the end result and you feeling satisfied with what you achieved that is important.

No man shaves the same way either.

What you are able to create with your mind and hands are more important than how you do it. How you do it is just the process to achieve what you want and anyone claiming there is the right way to do that is a snob and ignorant to the diversities of creating art.

And you sir are creating art! :thumbsup

looks amazing Ely as always!! you nailed it!! big fan of your work man!! cant wait to see both sculpts molded and painted up!!(y)thumbsup

Thanks again gang!

OldKen - That is awesome!

Darth Lars - I'm still getting the structure down and then I'll soften things up and then do the detailing. I'm a bit slow, so I'm hoping to get to that point soon.

Too Much Garlic - Thanks so much for that, and I'm sure everyone who wants to sculpt can take that to heart.

Here's a slight update on the left profile (still working on the ears and will be shaving down the lobes ;))
millasculptnewlleft3.jpg

Lot's more work, so hopefully you guys don't get tired of progress pics.

Here's a picture that may shock and make some of you guys sick, I know that's what I felt like when I did it:

milasculpt-destroyed.jpg

At the time, I felt it had to be done since I wasn't really happy with the facial structure.
It may not have looked like it in the pictures, but the face was very wonky. One side was too forward and the other too far back.
I also had a hard time sculpting the face correctly since the angle of the sculpt was a bit awkward.
However, I did have days of regret that it had to be done.
I actually was in a sculpting slump for weeks, sculpting and resculpting and all turned out aweful. I had to stay away from the sculpt for a while.

You are a brave man. Not many who would take the risk to tear things down and correct what was felt wrong in the previous attempt. Good luck.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :cry

This time you should do her the way we can't tell if she's real or not, ok? :angry

Haha, just kidding... not really... just do it well :)

That's what I'm shootin for, it's getting there ;)
I'm so much happier with it now. I'll post some new in progress pics this week.

YOU KILLED MILLA - YOU *******!!

I weep. Your work was AMAZING. Still, I know what you mean about something not being good enough, and I'll bet it'll be even better once you get it to where YOU want it.

Sorry, but I promise to resurrect her.
In fact here's an early preview of the new head:
NEWFRONT2.jpg

I wanted to change the mouth to be less open this time around. I'm still working on putting the right tension on it.

The body is still intact and all I need to do when I'm happy with the head is to plop it on top and repair the neck area. I don't want to do it just yet since it's easier to sculpt the head straight on.

Nice progress. Can't wait to see more. She really has a wonky face - like her left side is sunken in a bit and the right is bulging out. I know it's still a work in progress and an early progress, but her lower face needs to be slimmed down a bit and made more pointier down towards the chin and perhaps making her lower lip a bit more squared.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back