Deadmau5 Head

This is cool. I think a lot of people are doing Deadmau5 for Halloween especially those who just discovered him after the VMAs. I'm gonna use a 16" foam ball I found from Plasteel Online: Smoothfoam & Styrofoam Balls

Yeah, I saw his new helmet on the VMA's and was like .....! I am completely puzzled as to how he put it together though. Or how he even sees out of it.

Sorry I haven't been replying to your guys post, I just recently started school at Savannah College of Art and Design. It's a lot of work.

I am almost done with the head though. I'm just waiting for the material I'm using for the mouth to ship and then I'll post pictures and answer questions.

Yeah, I saw his new helmet on the VMA's and was like .....! I am completely puzzled as to how he put it together though. Or how he even sees out of it.

Sorry I haven't been replying to your guys post, I just recently started school at Savannah College of Art and Design. It's a lot of work.

I am almost done with the head though. I'm just waiting for the material I'm using for the mouth to ship and then I'll post pictures and answer questions.

It is a sweet helmet, for sure. There is a small camera mounted on the bottom-front of the mask.

63563_433244081805_9980651805_5557961_5040579_n.jpg

Any idea what camera/video glasses could be used?

Also, the entire head is metal. A little heavy, huh?

Who said it was metal? It looks like plastic to me. With opaque silver-colored plastic in the back and clear, fabric-covered plastic in the front to let the LEDs shine through.

Is there some info I missed somewhere about it being metal?

That seems like a bad idea all around - can you say sharp edges?

-Nick

Who said it was metal? It looks like plastic to me. With opaque silver-colored plastic in the back and clear, fabric-covered plastic in the front to let the LEDs shine through.

Is there some info I missed somewhere about it being metal?

That seems like a bad idea all around - can you say sharp edges?

-Nick

See this picture:

coachella7+025.jpg

Looks like something out of a B52 bomber. Pretty bad and unnecessarily heavy, imo.

Last edited:
It still looks plasticky to me, with a dull metallic silver paint job and faux welding beads. There'd be no reason to construct a metal sphere in the way that those lined indicate. What does look like metal to me is the real coupler that his umbilical cord is mated to.

I just think we should wait to say it's metal until we have confirmation of the material from a first hand source rather than image interpretation.

-Nick

It's looks to me like it's metal, most likely aluminum. I also have a guess about what those black holes are. I'm thinking that they may be mini fans like the ones you see used to cool the North bridge on a motherboard.

Back on track, I'm looking to build my own Mau5head for Halloween. I'll have my supplies by this Friday and will start construction this weekend. I'll try to document the build as best as I can.

Spidermanc, your mask is awesome. Can't wait to see it completed, and I'm looking forward to reading about all the details about it...dimensions, fabric used, items used for the eyes, etc.

Any idea what camera/video glasses could be used?

Also, the entire head is metal. A little heavy, huh?

I've never sourced camera's like that, so I don't know much about them. If I were to do something like that, I'd probably use a Myvu display.

If you are looking for build ideas, check out the link in my signature.

Hey giz, your mau5heads look fantastic. Was just wondering what size sphere/globe you used and how long and wide the ears are?

Cheers

It's looks to me like it's metal, most likely aluminum. I also have a guess about what those black holes are. I'm thinking that they may be mini fans like the ones you see used to cool the North bridge on a motherboard.

Back on track, I'm looking to build my own Mau5head for Halloween. I'll have my supplies by this Friday and will start construction this weekend. I'll try to document the build as best as I can.

Spidermanc, your mask is awesome. Can't wait to see it completed, and I'm looking forward to reading about all the details about it...dimensions, fabric used, items used for the eyes, etc.
Ah! Kinda cool.

Last edited:
Here's what I've cooked up for the eyes so far.

CIMG0080.jpg

Bout to start fiberglassing the head soon.

OMG, what did you use for those eyes. What size are they? ive been looking everywhere for something like that. I found 6 inch diameter globes for lamps, and cut them in half, but they are too wide and not tall enough. Please let me know what you used!!!!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back